Need A Little Help With Some Wording...

SavingGrace

Jun 27, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow...
Right.. I need to put something on Alfie's door to stop people from giving him treats and going into his stable! Want to put it as politely as possible with maybe a little jokey side to it?

At the moment all I have is

Hi my name is Alfie and although I may be small and very cute this is a very important time in my life where I need to learn good manners! Please do not feed me or handle unless you have permission from my owner or a senior member of staff as I do not want to spend my childhood years on Santa's naughty list!

Love Alfie xx

(ps please do ask mummy about the treats though I am sure she will say yes if they are suitable for my delicate tummy)

Please do not feed me or handle unless you have permission from my owner or a senior member of staff

I might be inclined to put 'please do not feed me or play with me without asking' instead if it is aimed at kids-it has less long words in :p

Otherwsie I think its a great approach (you'll just need a big sign ;) )

Yeah have to really watch some adults aswell! Its not really the giving the treats I am worried about its more what they give them!

'please do not feed me or play with me without asking'

That does sound much better though :)

Anyone on the yard can take liberties. When my old tb gelding was on box rest one of the y/o's friends decided to grab my spare tackroom key and tack my horse up and try and get on him to prove he didn't need box rest!! I'll assure you that they didn't return to find a polite notice on the door, but had a rather verbal opinion of what I thought of them doing that and an empty stable as I moved him to a different yard.

I'm glad I no longer have to put up with all that.

anyone on the yard can take liberties. When my old tb gelding was on box rest one of the y/o's friends decided to grab my spare tackroom key and tack my horse up and try and get on him to prove he didn't need box rest!! I'll assure you that they didn't return to find a polite notice on the door, but had a rather verbal opinion of what i thought of them doing that and an empty stable as i moved him to a different yard.

I'm glad i no longer have to put up with all that.

omg

Definitely put up a short, sweet notice-I had to stop a well meaning visitor suffing a laminitic pony with carrots one day-she was just going round randomly and feeding carrots to one and all until I stopped her! A mate has a very simple laminated notice saying 'Please DO NOT feed this horse' for her horse who has horsey IBS. You need a very straightforward notice that is short and very to the point and you don't need to explain yourself or be cute (sorry, don't mean to be rude but as a teacher, kids only read the first line then stop). Your horse, your rules.

My friend's mare had: Don't touch me or feed me or I will eat you
.. Everyone laughed until they got bitten.
these days that would probably be admitting liability or something haha/

newrider.com