Neck ring riding and collection

Keket

Jan 26, 2004
RI has set the goal for Coquette and me of bareback and bridleless. I've toyed with the idea of a neck ring before, and last night I went looking for information on them.

On the iceryder website, I found this blurb from the TTEAM Connections magazine:
Encourage collection: Most people talk about starting collection through the engagement of the hindquarters. Often what you
see is quite the opposite – the horse’s head is set in the front and the rider pushes the horse into the hand. It’s a little like trying to
drive a car with the emergency brake on. There is a passive reflex at the base of a horse’s neck called the seeking reflex. When
this is triggered-which can be encouraged with the balance rein or neck ring touching at the base of the neck – the horse’s wither
will rise and the neck rounds from the withers to poll. That is what is happening with Scarlet in photo 6. As this is happening, the
horse’s belly muscle engages and the back comes up.

Can anyone vouch for this? Is there really a secret pressure point at the base of the neck that encourages collection?

If by the "base of the neck" they are referring to the base of the brachiocephalic, then yes, it's possible there is some truth in what they say. This area has a reflex point and if you stimulate it on each side, the horse will bend and turn its head but it is a sensitive area so care needs to be taken. Any real pressure from a neck ring could cause considerable discomfort.

So there is some truth to it? Unfortunately, there was no picture provided. I'm always suspicious when someone is selling something they they claim can instantly give collection.

newrider.com