Nearly there, fingers crossed

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
You'll have seen that as far as jumping is concerned Ziggy has a long way to go.

On the hacking front, however, we seem to have made phenomenal progress just since the start of this year.

When I bought him Lia at Safecobs said that neither she nor any of her girls could prevent him from rushing on the way home or being dangerously competitive when cantering in company. Along with all of his other little foibles, these were definitely true!

I've felt he is pretty much ok on his own recently, and today we went out with Catherine and Romeo, her NF, as a practice for our planned trip to the New Forest in May. I thought now was a good time to try a little canter in company and see how he went.

How did he go? Well - JUST THE SAME! No rushing, no anxiety, just a nice little, calm little, balanced little canter with loose reins and one ear listening to me. He slowed down the moment I asked. And then we strolled round the rest of the hack on a loose rein, including all the way home.

Coloured poles are another matter, but I am confident that if we can cure the hacking foibles we'll get to the point where the sight of a jump wing doesn't turn him into a quivering panicking jelly.

I tend to jump off and walk the last 15-20 minutes or so of a hack. It feels polite to give him a break, loosen his girth and let him cool off. Catherine agrees. All the other ladies we meet out on their big horses think we are mad. They say, "Are you all right?" or even, simply, "Why on earth are you walking?"

I like it though. I like his lovely face next to me. :inlove:

You'll have seen that as far as jumping is concerned Ziggy has a long way to go.

On the hacking front, however, we seem to have made phenomenal progress just since the start of this year.

When I bought him Lia at Safecobs said that neither she nor any of her girls could prevent him from rushing on the way home or being dangerously competitive when cantering in company. Along with all of his other little foibles, these were definitely true!

I've felt he is pretty much ok on his own recently, and today we went out with Catherine and Romeo, her NF, as a practice for our planned trip to the New Forest in May. I thought now was a good time to try a little canter in company and see how he went.

How did he go? Well - JUST THE SAME! No rushing, no anxiety, just a nice little, calm little, balanced little canter with loose reins and one ear listening to me. He slowed down the moment I asked. And then we strolled round the rest of the hack on a loose rein, including all the way home.

Coloured poles are another matter, but I am confident that if we can cure the hacking foibles we'll get to the point where the sight of a jump wing doesn't turn him into a quivering panicking jelly.

I tend to jump off and walk the last 15-20 minutes or so of a hack. It feels polite to give him a break, loosen his girth and let him cool off. Catherine agrees. All the other ladies we meet out on their big horses think we are mad. They say, "Are you all right?" or even, simply, "Why on earth are you walking?"

I like it though. I like his lovely face next to me. :inlove:
Fab news ! :dance: It's always lovely when you try something out and they behave themselves and you feel like a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders. I hope he continues being a good boy for you.

I too get off for the last 10 - 15 mins on a hack, loosen the girth and walk with them. I just like letting them stretch out and I think helps with them cooling off for when they are returned to the stable or field :)

Have fun on your trip down the NF ! Where abouts are you staying or riding ?

We're staying near Anna Bruce's eventing yard, she is a friend of Catherine and is letting us rent a field for the boys - she has no spare stables but that doesn't really matter as they both prefer to live out. Our B&B is 5 minutes' walk away. It's in Sway, about a 20 minute hack along the lanes to the open forest.

I'm trying not to get too excited!!! :bounce::dance::wavespin::running::skip:

Jane you and Ziggy have come on so much together I am sure you will with time be popping jumps with him.

My Lunan will happily jump but Eva acts like she has never seen a coloured pole and that it might jump up and eat her but we are going to work on her. She has only been a spoiled little show pony but I would like both my Fells to be all rounders and that what I am aiming them at :)

I would love to hack in the New Forest one day :)

Keep going you are an inspiration to us nervous nellies with what you have achieved so far :)

Jane, I'm not sure what your plan is re the jumping. But my RI said that it is great practice for jumping to just have a pole or two in the school whenever you are in there.

If Ziggy is scared of the poles you wouldn't even need to go near it. Just school around it and ignore it. THen eventually get him near it and then work towards walking over it.

One of our liveries did this with her youngster who thought poles were horse eating monsters and it really did work.

Absolutely, Tiga. We try just to incorporate walking over one pole easily into a lesson. Doesn't always work - it didn't yesterday!

Catherine is going to lend me her wings and poles to leave around the field and do groundwork with.

Unfortunately it's not just desensitising and habituation, as it would be with anything else that scares him. He was on a jumping yard for two years and as far as I can tell they overfaced him, beat him and rapped him. So there are very bad anchors for him and we will need many, many repetitions before his little pony brain cottons on to the idea that when Mum asks, it won't be more than he can manage or hurt him.

Archie used to have a "thing" about coloured poles to, we just left a few dotted about his field and he got used to walking over them in the end.

I love walking the last bit home rather than riding it, love it when people stop to ask if you're ok! I also always say "thank you" to my horses when I get off them - tis only polite.

We're staying near Anna Bruce's eventing yard, she is a friend of Catherine and is letting us rent a field for the boys - she has no spare stables but that doesn't really matter as they both prefer to live out. Our B&B is 5 minutes' walk away. It's in Sway, about a 20 minute hack along the lanes to the open forest.

I'm trying not to get too excited!!! :bounce::dance::wavespin::running::skip:
Have a lovely time on your trip ! :) The hacking in that part of the forest is lovely. If your up for a nice fast ride try to head over towards Wilverley and Clay Hill lots of flat even areas for a good blast :bounce:

Last edited:
Great thread! Enjoy your trip when it comes - when are you going? (sorry if you've already said). Sounds like you've made good progress - I wish I could hack on Storm and canter and then be relaxed afterwards! (She is like a Duracell Bunny and will not lose power........!!!)
(Just laughing too about the being polite part and getting off and walking the last part home - I once walked around a hack with OH and people kept asking me where my horse was!!! - I had jods and a hat on but had left Storm behind in her stable as she wasn't fit company at that time)

newrider.com