Nearly Gave Up!

R

Rob26

I had my second lesson today. Last week we were outside, did some walk halt transitions, 20m circles and was led in seated trot. The horse got a bit spooky a couple of times which made me a little nervous but I was fine and came away feeling pretty confident.

This week we were inside which is a bigger area and I found myself really nervous because of the larger space and that if the horse wanted to act up he could probably get up quite a pace in an area that size.

The horse just wasn't listening to me to start with. The problem is I don't like kicking the horse, I feel bad. I know they're big but i'm just not comfortable with kicking hard, I prefer to squeeze but the horse seems to be a bit dead to the leg. I got off and the RI showed me how to do it and she gave him quite a kick and he listened and was good as gold for her.

Have I just got to toughen up a bit? I feel awful having to put the legs on that hard. I felt like giving up but things got a lot better. First I was led in sitting trot, then in rising trot but holding on to the saddle both hands, then with 1 hand, then no hands and by the end of the lesson I was posting trot on my own which really made me feel more confident. The RI said i've got a good natural rising trot, she said my lower leg was still, my hand position is very good, my heals were down, she seemed really happy so i'm going to carry on with it.

I guess it's just a matter of getting my confidence up and feeling in control with the horse listening to me. I'm just on edge a lot in case he starts acting up.

I also hate the concept of kicking, and in fact think it is the WRONG way for a RI to be teaching a beginner! I realise most school horses/ponies can be quiet dead-to-the-leg but then more emphasis should be given on the 'way' to adjust the pressure of the leg... if you were to put pressure (or squeeze) on the horse, with the intensity increasing, the pony/horse no matter how 'dead-to-the-leg' will move off...
(just think- a horse has skin sensitive enough to feel a fly on its skin). The horse/pony does feel the pressure, but with time and 'kicking' has become immune to it.

Ok Im going off on a tangent, but was trying to get the point across as to why I dont like the concept of kicking.
You are right in your thinking of leg pressure! When you progress onto more schooled/skilled horses (and possibly even your own) that has NOT been in a schooling enviroment, for your health, DO NOt kick! You squeeze, increasing pressure and therefore 'irritant' until the horse moves off!

If you can, maybe hire the horse for half and hour, for you to ride on your own in a lunge ring (or small enclosed area, so you feel safer) and practice the concept of increasing pressure and then decreasing. Horses are intelligent, even the school ponies and they will quickly pick up on what you mean. You can even practice slowing the horse down with you seat.
Just sit deeper (or heavier for lack of better explination) and you will see the speed of the horse decreases...

Just a thought! But DONT give up... keep at it! You might just need another instructor or even school pony/horse!

The RI is very good and the horse is nice but she said he normally works in a more experienced class so he probably thinks to himself what on earth is this bloke doing? I guess if he can get away with doing what he wants then he will. The reason they put me on him is cos i'm 6'2" and i'm a bit big for the others!

I noticed as the lesson was going on, he seemed a lot more alert and looked he was listening to me to find out what I wanted him to do next.

I'm still not kicking him, just squeezing harder like you said. I'd like it if I could just give a little squeeze to get him moving forward and that he would stay at that pace until I tell him otherwise. But he'll start moving forward and just stop if I don't keep the leg on all the time.

I guess its just a matter of me getting used to what keeps him going.

Unfortunately with some horses, you need to keep the leg on most of the time. It cant be a constant squeezing or he will begin to ignore the leg aide, but you need to squeeze firmly, then take the pressure off and then apply the pressure back on again...
In fairness these are quiet experienced concept for the beginner rider, but I feel if you are taught them from the beginning you will only get better and better at it.
Its takes awhile to be able to read the signals a horse gives of... but they do come!

Just continue with your progress and Im sure you'll improve leaps and bounds! Keep us posted with any questions you want answers too (can always ask my instructor if I dont know the answer already... dont always practice what I preach! I ride a big burley TB, who's built like a Warmblood and the minute you take the leg-aide off he stops! So I feel you 'pain' so to speak)

Am I right in thinking that non school horses wouldn't have this problem? is the downside that they can be a lot more fizzy than a school horse?

I also think my confidence would be better if I had 2 lessons a week. I'm only having 1 half hour each week and that is £32 which is expensive but it is a good school.

I think it is just one of those things with learning to ride really - most of the horses that are considered suitable for beginners (so pretty safe) tend to be able to turn off their reactions to some extent, which means that they'll need more than a gentle squeeze to get them going.

I'm not sure if you'll have been taught about this yet, but it's not just the legs that can affect the speed of a horse. If you're reins are long and with not much contact, it will generally be more difficult tog et the horse to pick up pace than if you have a nice supportive rein with a bit of contact. However, you won't want to be going for this rein contact until you're hands are steady and independent of your body movement, which is just something that comes with time (although more naturally to soem than others). If you seek this contact on the reins before your hands are steady, you'll run the risk of jabbing the horse in the mouth, so I wouldn't try to do it unless your instructor says. But just bear it in mind - it's another factor that could affect how the horse is responding to your aids.

More than anything though, I'd say just perservere. You will progress gradually, but everything takes time :) Just enjoy it and within no time, you'll be able to look back and see how far you've come! :D

Edit : something else I forgot to do is answer your question about non-RS horses. It's true that some non school horses will be more responsive to the leg, and also some will be fizzier. But every horse is an individual and they vary lots. Also, individual horses can act very differently at different times and in different situations. My share horse, for example, can be extremely unresponsive in the manege if it's a hot day and she'd much rather be mooching around in the field, but then sometimes she'll go out on a hack, see something that excites her and you have to sit so quietly so that she doesn't take off with you! So sometimes she can be a complete plod but other times she's far from a novices ride. There are so many factors that contributre to a horse's behaviour - situation, time, rider, place and weather just being a few. And then there's always the element of unpredictability that comes from all animals! But it's all part of the fun of it!

Last edited:
Rob26 said:
I'm only having 1 half hour each week and that is £32 which is expensive but it is a good school.
Woaah!:eek: You're right there!

*hands raised* I don't like kicking either:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i'm using rein contact already. I'm pretty steady with my hands. I'm also using my body position too i.e. sitting up a little taller and getting a little stiffer in my lower back when coming to the halt.

Thanks for your help everyone, hopefully i'll feel more confidant next week!

I know £32 is expensive... and thats just the starter lessons. it's about £45 for an hour group and i'm sure they said about £50 odd for for 45 minute private! eek!

Rob26 said:
Thanks for your help everyone, hopefully i'll feel more confidant next week!

I know £32 is expensive... and thats just the starter lessons. it's about £45 for an hour group and i'm sure they said about £50 odd for for 45 minute private! eek!
:eek: eek :eek: eek :eek: EEK! LOL That is an incredible amount of money....okay it isn't but for these circumstances it is.........£45???for an hour group......*jaw drops open* LOL

And may I say.....you can't give up after your 2nd lesson either!;) You are stuck in it now:p

Have a great lesson next week and we all get uneasy sometimes.....try looking at some of my threads and posts;) :rolleyes:

Rob26 said:
Am I right in thinking that non school horses wouldn't have this problem? is the downside that they can be a lot more fizzy than a school horse?
both of my current horses have been in a RS at one point. Paddy was only ridden by me and another woman for 2 lessons. it was mainly me that rode him. hes quite dead to the leg, until you figure out where his buttons are. if you keep on with this horse, after a while (also when your leg strength builds up) you'll find his buttons and be able to get him going with a few sharp squeezes. because its only your 2nd lesson, your legs wont be strong enough to give the sharp squeezes, so you may have to give little kicks out. but once your legs strengthen up, you might not have to anymore. :)
my mare, is very fizzy and was in a RS for 1 and a half to 2 years. she is a horse, which you wouldnt find in any normal RS because of the insurance costs!:p shes alot calmer with a couple of people riding her, day in day out rather than lots of different people.
they really all vary. :)

Turning the heel in and kicking is a very bad habit to get into, for a number of reasons. I think your instinct is right to be unhappy with that idea.

On the other hand, just increasing the amount of pressure of a squeeze can often be counterproductive - with a horse that gets increasingly dull and perhaps just leaning against your leg. When it's necessary to give a stronger leg aid, it's more effective to bring the leg off a little and give a bump with the inner calf.

vimto92 said:
And may I say.....you can't give up after your 2nd lesson either!;) You are stuck in it now:p

There's no way i'm giving up now! I really enjoy it, I just don't like it when they get a bit spooky, that's what worries me more than anything.

You see some people who are not phased at all when a horse acts up, they look in control even if the horse is getting spooky. I know its one of them things that you have to experience first in order to get used to. Thats how I want to be, so I could ride out bucks or rearing or flightyness without having a nervous breakdown!

ponylover88 said:
my mare, is very fizzy

How do you guys deal with your horse getting fizzy? do you fear it? I know if a horse starts to buck or rear you're meant to try and drive it forward and that if it bolts you're meant to try to turn ever decreasing circles which is all great in theory but I think id just freeze!

Well, since you just started riding (and seem to have very, very natural talent:p ), why not take your riding home with you?

Legs: For leg exercises, the best one to strengthen would be to step up and down on a step 20x on each leg. You know, step up, step down. This could be a staircase step, a porch step, etc. Another thing is to stretch!! Stretch before and after you ride, and stretch throughout the week. Stretch your calves too. Get on a step again, and try to drop all your weight into your heels(like you were riding). They will feel tight at first, but this will help your riding a lot!

Torso: Tighten your torso! Most of your strength comes not from your hands but from your lower torso. So do situps, or knee raises, whatever you can think of be creative!

Hands/Arms: Your hands and arms are important, even though it may not seem like it now. Strengthen your arms- do pushups! Strengthen wrists and hands with squeezing things (they have these stress relievers in stores- they work).

I hope all of this helps! Don't give up!!:D

I started doing some leg strength exercises on the run up to my first lesson. The following day I didn't really feel sore apart from a little tenderness in my bum cheeks!

I ride big sports bikes which require a fair bit of strength in the arms and legs, especially when you're cranked right over into a corner!

Thanks for your suggestions! i'll give them a try!

You see some people who are not phased at all when a horse acts up, they look in control even if the horse is getting spooky. I know its one of them things that you have to experience first in order to get used to. Thats how I want to be, so I could ride out bucks or rearing or flightyness without having a nervous breakdown!

Hours and hours in the saddle!

I returned to riding after a 15 year break and apart from knowing the basics still I was like a beginner with regards to sudden movements, gentle spooks etc.

Even now it is not comfortable. I think if you begin riding as an adult you will never be truly as easy about the whole thing as the lucky folks who have been riding since they were about 5.

Yesterday at our yard we were having a lesson when another client was fixing her stirrups with a group who were going out on a hack. She put both of her legs quite far back on a 'ticklish' mare who decided to spook and mimic Buckaroo! After 5 bucks, the girl was thrown.:eek:

The gelding I was riding in the school has a well known ejector seat if the crop is used behind the girth. If he needs some 'encouragement' I tend to just wave the crop in his line of vision as a reminder that it is there to get him going. Anyway, having watched someone get bucked off I was paranoid that my horse was going to buck me off too - even though I didn't touch him.

He got quite spooky when the ambulance came but by then I just rode it out and became relaxed.:cool:

Stick with it - enjoy the scarey times as well as the non scarey - too be honest as long as things are generally safe the scarey times turn out to be the fun times and you will enjoy telling the stories later:D :D

I've been riding every week - with an extra hack once a month - now for the past 2 years and it is such a big part of my life = so much so we are looking for our own horse at the moment. It will be a big learning curve but hey we only have one life so I plan to live it ;)

xx

Rob26 said:
How do you guys deal with your horse getting fizzy? do you fear it? I know if a horse starts to buck or rear you're meant to try and drive it forward and that if it bolts you're meant to try to turn ever decreasing circles which is all great in theory but I think id just freeze!
personally, if its not doing the horse or rider any harm, i let them get it out of their system. have started lunging mine before i ride, and Paddys also being lunged most days during the week too. he was lunged in the pouring rain today!:p

Rob26 said:
thats not me! i can handle bucks without worrying, but rearing (due to an incident) and bolting scares me. :rolleyes: yesterday, my horse spooked at something in the hedge. he took off from a walk to canter, and it was definately a heart stopping moment!!:p it was the same day he was very excitable and so he was only being walked. normally when he spooks it doesnt bother me because although i havnt had him long, hes pretty easy to read. i can tell when hes spooking because hes scared and/or to get a gallop in.

i almost gave up after a really bad lesson. my horse wasnt moving ( understatment of the year) my ri seemed to have pmt and was taking it out on us (shes left now), so i was feeling realy bad, especially as i saw the horse after and she was cantering around quite happily.

but its the bad experiences that make the good experiences better!
keep on trying!!!

Hi Rob26, I returned to riding last year (after a 15 year gap) I had a really terrible 5th lesson, it wasn't until a few days later (when thanks to every one on NR I was feeling better) I remebered the fact that when you ride, often you mood and feelings are directly affected by your last ride, and so if you have a bad lesson you can end up feeling terrible for several days or until your next good ride. So if you do feel down about riding, I'm sure there are plenty of people on NR who are willing to cheer you up and help you out.

And another thing - DONT give up, I did and now I have started again I realise that giving up was such astupid thing to do.

With regards to kicking and pushing horses on, it is amazing how subtle the difference between something not working and some thing working is to the novice rider (belive me I still haven't got it sorted yet, but I'm getting there).

It's amazing at the things a horse will get spooky at... yesterday we were indoors and as we walked past the door a bird flew past and we shot off for a few paces!

I think i'll be a lot less worried once i've mastered, or at least experienced and feel comfortable with all the gaits!

I think i'm going to have to seriously consider 2 lessons per week because I feel a week between riding is too long. It must be lovely to have your own horse and be able to practice as often as you want. I like the idea of hacking but it's improving my skills a far as I can that i'm mostly interested in and for that I need lessons.

Hello Rob

Sounds like you need more than 1 lesson a week but at those prices you'd better consult you bank manager! Where on earth do you ride?

I agree entirely with everything that has been said about kicking. I share Kedwards view that if it is an absolute necessity then bump the horse using your inner calf. That often works if you have a horse that won't respond to the pressure of a squeeze. It isn't a kick, it's a bump.

As for spooking. I have one of the spookiest, daftest, horses-bless him! One of the methods that I've been trained to use is that when the horse begins to spook (assuming that you can catch him e.g. he raises his head/ears spring up into 'red alert' mode), squeeze him quickly with each leg alternately. This works quite well for my spooky boy as it reminds him that I am there and momentarily takes his mind off what he was thinking about spooking at. It can't work every time, of course, as sometimes I just don't see/feel the spook coming but it works every time that I do!

Good luck
CT

newrider.com