natural horsemanship halter

shadowfax1967

Aug 29, 2008
south wales
hi my mare is sometimes difficult to lead and can be really strong she is fine in every other way just leading her from the field when going out hacking alot of people have suggested that i buy a natural horsemanship rope halter and have said that these work wonders can anyone give me advice or has anyone used these halters and was there a big difference:)

I use one of these all the time. I had absolutely no respect in an ordinary headcollar.
Since using this, I feel much more in control, and Indi has become a dream to lead. And believe me- he was a git!

I also leave it on under my bridle, when I ride (I'm just lazy), and its great to lunge in too, because you don't have to keep changing the lunge line over, every time you change direction;)

I bought mine on Ebay. It was only about £10.

Its great! I'd never use an ordinary headcollar again...

It is the person on the end of the lead rope, not the halter, that helps the horse lead easier.

It is not a quick fix, though many people think it is.

I hack out in mine though not suggesting you do that
Aim for good quality not the cheap stiff cardboard. It's for communication and as one person has said not quick fix, but it can get some respect fairly, you need to remember not to hold on to the head all the time. Horse will ignore halter as well.

I also use a rope halter all the time. I don't agree with tandp that it's the person, with a normal headcollar and silly 6ft rope, I had a large horse walking far too close to me and taking the opportunity to snatch grass whenever she wanted. With the rope headcollar and a much longer rope (with a handle for possible exciting moments) I have a polite horse that walks beside or behind me on a loose rope. I made my leadrope from yachting rope and bought the halter off ebay.

I use rope halters all the time, including for hacking with Orion. However, I do agree they are not a quick fix and it just as much about the person on the other end of the rope. Don't expect to throw it on and get instant miracles. One strategy that quite often works for me with a horse that is difficult to lead - especially youngsters - is that I stand by the horses left shoulder with the lead rope in my left hand to control the head. I place my right hand gently on the withers, talk quietly to the horse for encouragement, then push forward with the right hand on the withers while controlling the head with my left hand. It takes patience and gentleness, but usually works for me.

You could also try instead of walking in a straight line and playing tug of war with your horse, zig-zag at 45 degree angles, as I find horses tend to be more willing to follow if you start off at an angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like rope halters but do agree with tandp that you need to teach the horse to lead properly and politely. I don't, however, think that they're a miracle cure and with being made of fairly narrow rope can be quite harsh in the wrong hands.

Have a look at the IH/Kelly Marks exercise for leading, it's very helpful and they catch on pretty quickly. Essentially, though, the horse walks at your shoulder and in their own space (or 'bubble'), if they start to move forwards of you then you turn to face backwards, put the outside hand nearest the horse's head on the leadrope and ask them to back up. Once they start to take a backwards step you give them a scratch on the forehead (or you can click/treat if you also use clicker). It only takes a couple of goes for them to get it. You do have to be consistent though so that they know that every time they get in front of you or barge you're going to be asking them to back up. It comes to the point where they will back up as you start to turn.

My big cob went through a stage of just planting and refusing to walk with me in from or back to the field. After trying a variety of things with no joy I bought a pressure halter and have never looked back. In fact, I can now turn him out with just a lead-rope thrown over his neck, no headcollar required! This change in leading behaviour only came about after I used the pressure halter for about 2 weeks. I think usng the halter was kinder than getting frustrated and getting into a tug of war (which I would never win).

Also, given his massive strength, I put it on under his bridle when we hack and always carry a lead-rope in case we have an incident as otherwise I'd have no hope of hanging onto such a big horse in a panic. (Touch wood though as I've never had to use it!)

I highly recommend them (I got mine from the link posted above).

Just remember, don't use it for tying up.

thanks to everyone that gave me advice i think i might try it, it is only coming out of the field she is like this any other time she is great even when she goes back in the field we have no problems

SF1967
In OZ we have a Horseman, John O'Leary, his website 'Horse Problems' is one of the internets most visited horse sites. The best thing about John is that has has definate opinions on most things equine and backs up his opinions with experience... he is very much in favour of the rope halter.
here is a link to his problems page, scroll down to the ground manners section and there are a few articles that may be of help and/or interest
http://www.horseproblems.com.au/horseproblems_problem_index_page2.htm

In fact we would like to reccomend his site to all forum members.

cheers
Rob

It is the person on the end of the lead rope, not the halter, that helps the horse lead easier.

It is not a quick fix, though many people think it is.
A (more) pressure(ing) halter can be useful - especially if it gives someone back confidence they have lost - but it shouldn't be considered a substitute for learning to lead.

My big cob went through a stage of just planting and refusing to walk with me in from or back to the field. After trying a variety of things with no joy I bought a pressure halter and have never looked back. In fact, I can now turn him out with just a lead-rope thrown over his neck, no headcollar required! This change in leading behaviour only came about after I used the pressure halter for about 2 weeks. I think usng the halter was kinder than getting frustrated and getting into a tug of war (which I would never win).

Also, given his massive strength, I put it on under his bridle when we hack and always carry a lead-rope in case we have an incident as otherwise I'd have no hope of hanging onto such a big horse in a panic. (Touch wood though as I've never had to use it!)

I highly recommend them (I got mine from the link posted above).

Just remember, don't use it for tying up.

Jings, you wrote my repy word for word, apart from the fact that yours is a cob!!! Although, i have been a bit cocky the last few times going out and havent worn it under the bridle, but in my pocket:eek: and, if he is at the gate early, (I walk the dog first), i thow the dog lead round his neck and bring him in:)

Good luk, i also got mine from the link above and its very nice rope and pops in the washing machine and comes out as good as new:cool:

newrider.com