Natural head carriage in excited horses

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I was watching Ziggy playing today and I noticed that however excited he is, however athletic he is being, the angle he carries his head at is never much straighter than 45 degrees. He just does not do the "nose just before the vertical:" thing. He can do capriole, courbette and canter pirouettes in perfect balance with his head at his preferred angle.

Mattie, on the other hand, imitates a Grand Prix dressage horse every time I let him through for his breakfast: head vertical, neck arched, boing boing boing.

What difference does the verticality of the head make? Does it just look pretty? Ziggy clearly doesn't think he needs it!

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I think a lot depends on conformation, the Arabs don't need to get that head down and nose in to use their backs like some others :)

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Here's a (very unflattering) picture of the boy walking uphill with his head at his preferred angle:

IMG_2431.jpg

He's using his back well in this picture - when he drops it there is a very big hollow. When he's excited of course his head comes up, but the nose doesn't drop. What would you say about his conformation? He is very front heavy I know...

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Raf is like Mattie. Jack very rarely gets excited in the field but I think he does an arched neck too - although the most spectacular difference is his huge high knees trot - I'm sure he has a drop of Welsh in him when we see that.

Sorry no good on conformation but I do think Ziggy is a bit like Raf in that he has a big shoulder compared to his bum. He's very gorgeous though.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Natural Hoof Care Giveaway Hoof Care 1
Jessey weather change, natural progression/change or normal ups and downs Cafe 7
joellie A Natural for Jumping? :) Cafe 5
Jessey Natural insulation Cafe 14
Bodshi 'Traditional methods' v Natural Horsemanship Training of the Horse and Rider 18
Tack Wholesale LLC Feeding Hay from a Natural Position with Less Waste Money Saving Ideas, Tips and Remedies 17
Cortrasna Natural flea and parasite control Cafe 0
Ale Natural horsemanship instructors, surrey? Training of the Horse and Rider 14
Mary Poppins Does Richard Maxwell fit into the category of 'Natural Horsemanship' Training of the Horse and Rider 19
Ex-racer 100% natural feeds Metabolic 25
T What does natural horsemanship mean to you??? Training of the Horse and Rider 26
CheriFen natural wormers Money Saving Ideas, Tips and Remedies 22
sjp1 Thank you Natural Horse! Tack & Saddlery 0
domane FAO "Natural Horse" Cafe 11
R Natural Horsemanship Magazine Training of the Horse and Rider 6
sjp1 Natural Balance or Taking the Front Clips Off? Hoof Care 6
N What Do You Prefer? Hogged cob or natural? POLL Horse Care 27
R Can anyone recommend a natural looking copper/chestnut/auburnish hair colour? Cafe 3
Skippys Mum Another "natural horsemanship" video - you'll love it:-)) Cafe 5
Dannii5691 natural pain killers?! Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 13
sjames86 Do you have a natural way with animals? Cafe 4
C Natural horsemanship livery yards Training of the Horse and Rider 2
cobmum Natural Horsemanship / in hand training courses or holiday? Training of the Horse and Rider 7
E Natural horsemanship taught at RS in Essex? Training of the Horse and Rider 11
Skye94 more natural way? Metabolic 23
W Natural trimming Hoof Care 6
G Natural horsemanship - how to get started? Training of the Horse and Rider 6
juliecwuk Ray Smith (Back/muscle person/natural horsemanship) - anyone used? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 9
P City & Guilds Natural Horsemanship? Training of the Horse and Rider 8
SavingGrace Natural Horsemanship Trainers In Scotland! Training of the Horse and Rider 6
annareeves0 Weeds as natural paddock paradise? Horse Care 0
H How to trim a Welsh D tail to look natural!? Horse Care 7
R Natural Horsemanship Training of the Horse and Rider 8
herondell natural horse supplies Metabolic 3
fayefudge Problems with Natural Balance Shoes Hoof Care 6
x.Moomoo.x Starting off Natural Horsemanship Training of the Horse and Rider 2
M Idiot's Guide to natural horsemanship in all it's forms? Training of the Horse and Rider 23
M Natural Horsemanship Demo - Park end equestrian centre Training of the Horse and Rider 1
Sassy_Music_06 Natural Remidies for Horses Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 3
S Natural Horsemanship - Training Made Easy First Timers 14
beating_hooves Getting the tail to look more 'natural'....? Competing 7
K about natural balance shoes and cost of??? Hoof Care 17
mayoguinness Natural Equine Centre Opening Leicester. Ken Faulkner etc. Training of the Horse and Rider 0
rach4uk4 one for the natural side??? Training of the Horse and Rider 13
Meovcorz Quantum Savvy Natural Horsemanship! Training of the Horse and Rider 6
shadowfax1967 natural horsemanship halter Training of the Horse and Rider 15
SJ_Superstars Getting started with Natural Horsemanship Training of the Horse and Rider 11
T Natural can be Unnatural Training of the Horse and Rider 53
jwmurph NaturaL Balance to normal Hoof Care 6
tandp What do you want to see and achieve in Natural Horsemanship in 2009? Training of the Horse and Rider 11