National Anthem

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
I just read that we are going to use 2 verses of the national anthem at the Olympics, using the usual "Thy choisest gifts in store" verse that I learned in primary school. But did they not miss a trick by not getting us to learn one of the other verses?

Of many a race and birth
From utmost ends of earth,
God save us all!
Bid strife and hatred cease,
Bid hope and joy increase,
Spread universal peace,
God save us all!

I do not know the british national anthem and it wasn't anything we were ever taught at school. I do know flower of scotland though, comes from being a HUGE rugby fan. tbh i'm on holiday when the olympics are on and won't be watching any of it!

Just so long as they get the right flag for N and S Korea! OOPS! Sniggers!

Truly, I had no idea the words to "God save the Queen" were not well known to everyone. We used to sing 2 verses regularly at both primary and secondary school - but now I may be showing my age! And as my dad was in the Royal Navy, I heard it quite a bit too.

I think there are 5 or 6 verses all told (KV will know for certain!), but one or two are too jingoistic to even make it to my old school hymn book. So, in the hope that we shall all be singing along at medal ceremonies, these are the two verses as I remember them (ie, not totally sure when it's "our Queen" or "the Queen":

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen.
Send her victorious,
Happy, and glorious;
Long to reign over us.
God save the Queen.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour.
Long may she reign.
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen.

All quite bland. I just preferred the sentiments of the verse I quoted originally:smile:

We learnt it at School - first two verses where reguarly used at morning assembly in Primary, Junior and secondary education, I understand this no longer happens, spent some time during the Jubilee teaching it to My 9yr old grandaughter so she could join in - yes it shows my age as well......

Published version below, but we sang verse 1 and verse 3 - think the full version was sung at the Jubilee not heard of the 6th much, not sure its very PC

1. God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen
God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen

2. O Lord our God arise
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall
Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks
On Thee our hopes we fix
God save us all

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour
Long may she reign
May she defend our laws
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen

4. Not in this land alone
But be God's mercies known
From shore to shore
Lord make the nations see
That men should brothers be
And form one family
The wide world over

5. From every latent foe
From the assassins blow
God save the Queen
O'er her thine arm extend
For Britain's sake defend
Our mother, prince, and friend
God save the Queen

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the King

You wont get too many singing it in my circle of relations and friends, as the last verse was.

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade may by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
rebellious Scots to crush
God save the Queen.

Its has been miraculously removed from the original anthem so it wasnt really designed for the whole of GB in the first place. It was in all probability written for the German kings of England under George [hanovarian] but where my lot hail from they were in all probability Jacobites followers of James or the Stewarts the proper kings and queens of GB. Its all very academic but it makes great reading and points for some lively discussions. I do not think anyone takes the monarchy that seriously now and once the present queen passes i think the monarchy will not hold the same reverence with the people of these small islands.

You wont get too many singing it in my circle of relations and friends, as the last verse was.

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade may by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
rebellious Scots to crush
God save the Queen.

Its has been miraculously removed from the original anthem so it wasnt really designed for the whole of GB in the first place. It was in all probability written for the German kings of England under George [hanovarian] but where my lot hail from they were in all probability Jacobites followers of James or the Stewarts the proper kings and queens of GB. Its all very academic but it makes great reading and points for some lively discussions. I do not think anyone takes the monarchy that seriously now and once the present queen passes i think the monarchy will not hold the same reverence with the people of these small islands.

this....I don't know any family member or friend that would sing it for that reason, cheeky gits expecting us to forget that line :redcarded:

For some reason "confound their politics" made me giggle madly. :giggle:

Learned something new - only ever knew verse one. It's a damn good tune and easy to sing (not that you'd know that watching the English football team)... shame about some of the words - the whole crushing Scotland thing is a bit rubbish for an anthem that's supposed to be for the whole GB - really should have made up a brand new anthem for Great Britain but I don't think the English really thought in that way at the time.

I mean the Scots have their fair share of English-crushing songs and poetry but the English aren't expected to adopt them as their national anthem!

Oh well... "frustrate their knavish tricks" as they say. Tally ho!

I had no idea of the words. I know Flower of Scotland though.

Even if I was standing on that podium I don't think I would sing it. I shall however be supporting Team GB and I'm actually quite excited about the Olympics now it's here!

Well my Grandaughter has Dual nationallity - Gambian as well as English,
she lived in Gambia for 3 years and she knew the Gambian anthem, yes they sang it every morning in assembly at School -
I will be supporting Team GB - although might be a bit fed up with the lack of choice on TV by the end of it all, some things I can watch all day, others drive me mad!

Wouldn't have a clue. Worst thing was when I had just taken the oath to become a British Citizen and I was glad I brought along a printed off copy of the National Anthem in my handbag as a 'just in case', I sang off that. Everyone else in the room was singing it by heart - that was embarrassing. :eek:

newrider.com