Nasty cough advice please!

dancer gyp

Dec 21, 2006
Boston UK
Our new loan mare arrived with a cough 8 weeks ago , its gone now and now MY poor lad has got a nasty cough! was told to give him koff and garlic, hes also on echinacia, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything!...any suggestions, i think its definately not anything other than a cold! can you use human cough medicine, does it work!...he only coughs occassionaly but when hes cantering around it starts a right episode, bless him, hes also getting a snotty nose too...I though if he gets any worse or no better by monday i think i'll get the vet out just in case, i rang them and they said give it a few days there is alot of it around...can anyone suggest anything i might have at home or can get from supermarket, horsey shops will be closed by the time i get there...

benilyn cough mixture(sp) works well.However if your horse has a real snotty nose then he probably needs antibiotics as it sounds like an infection rather than just a cold.

thanks nutkin, will give it a go over the weekend, he does have a slightly snotty nose, but its more whitey discharge than green snot..:) Ive had him since weaning hes now 19mths and never even had a cold before...nothing has changed feed wise...same hay grown here, so i dont think its allergy..the only thing i can think of is the constant dramatic change in the weather :confused:

CW had a bout of allergy during the summer and was coughing and snotting a lot (god, horse snot is like industrial GLUE!). It has calmed down a lot but still snots and occasionally coughs. Snot will impair breathing, so try one of the breathing supplements. I have found Hilton Herbs very good... oh god, name evades me... hackaway or something? it's for respiritory problems. He's been great on it plus it's natural (plus a bit expensive but if it works ?????) I tried Koff.. did nothing whatsoever...

white snot generally indicates allergy to something such as dust.Could it be that he is now kept in more hence the dust is getting to him or could he be burying his head into a bale of hay when turned out?Both would make him more succeptable to the dust which could bring on that effect.Although to be honest if your mare had a cough chances are its some kind of virus that she brought with her.

newrider.com