NAF pink powder / NAF daily vits and mins?

Lucyad

Mar 30, 2006
Renfrewshire, Scotland
Oscar has always had his daily vits and mins (NAF), and garlic supliment in his evening feed. Just now he is fed 1.5 large scoops of molassed sugar beet (which makes over half a bucket once soaked), 1 scoop alfa-a, one scoop competition mix and a big glug of oil at night, and 1 scoop each of alfa-a and mix in the morning, with ad-lib haylage at night in the stable, and ad-lib hay in his field (which has no grass).

He a chunky 16.3hh, in light-medium work, is not a particularly good doer, and is very laid back (not at all fizzy). Over the last couple of months I have tried adding 2-3 scoops of NAF pink powder to his feed, on recommendation from my feed supplier. I think that his condition has improved (to the extent that I'm afraid I seem to have slightly lost contact with his ribs!). However I have also added slightly more oil to his feed and started using the alfa-a at the same time. Do you think that it is the pink powder? has anyone else found it benificial, or is it a waste of money? if I continue using it, should I cut out the daily vits and mins?

Helloooooo!!! I love feeding questions!
The addition of Alfa-A, more Oil and the NAF Pink Powder probably all contributed wto his weight gain: perhaps begin to cut out the sugarbeet gradually until you are happy/you are no longer feeding it, as it is being fed at quite a high rate and the rest of the diet should suffice.
The NAF is a digestive enhancer and so is helping your horse's digestive system to absorb nutrients more efficiently, meaning that he should grow healthier and look better.
Howveer as the Pink Powder is also a vitamin and mineral supplement, you no longer have to feed the other vit&min supplement (in gfact too many minerals and vitamins is unhealthy) and can cut it out compeletely.
by all means continue with the Pink Powder (very good stuff)!
:)

Hmm, quite a lot I guess, but a lot of that is down to water in the sugar beet! It makes a quantity porobably around 1 full to the brim standard bucket (but he gets it is a big flat trug thing). He gets much less for breakfast though. Do you think it is too much? He is a rather large horse, and is in nice condition just now I think. Her gets ad lib haylage at night and ad lib hay in his feild of mud.

He gets hard feed all year round as his grazing is poor, and he can be a bit lacking in energy sometimes. In summer he gets a bit less though, and no breakfast (then he is out 24/7 and doesnt tend to want to come in for breakfast in the morning).

newrider.com