My Special Xmas Present from Suze

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I got booted again last night!

Nice one Suze. Got me good and proper, fortunately on the fat rather than the kneecap....so i have a wonderful swollen and multi coloured leg, just what i wanted for xmas....

Disappointing and dispiriting as i really thought she had got over being trigger happy. No idea what i did or didn't do as she gave no warning at all, just wham bam thank you mum.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Awh D&T, in the wars! I'm sure Suze will get better. If its any consolation, everyone on FB has seen the multicoloured foot I'm sporting after Flipo stood on it last Thursday. Up like a balloon and utterly black...at least I have a war wound that everyone can offer sympathy about!

i can always drop my trousers for viewing my war wound - it is pretty good, picasso would be proud.

i thought she was better, which is what is so depressing, I was really trusting her a lot and now i have to go back to being much less easy going with her. Which makes me sad.

mucking out is interesting as the thing that really hurts is kneeling down and stretching the upper thigh....it is so so taut.

Madam was treated like a criminal, headcollar on all the time, took all her filet strings and leg straps off, so no reason to visit her nether regions. She knows she has done wrong and is avoiding me, wouldn't even come to the door for a horse cube - Fleurette managed to fill in for her.

She will get there D&T, she's come so far already! When someone hasn't started them off quite right, they can take years to completely come good. Take comfort in the fact that she's getting better and you had got to the stage where you thought she might be ok....this is but a blip!

Chin up :)

We had another blip yesterday, my fault in hindsight. It was howling a gale here and i decided not to let them out as i was going to collect mum and dad and might be back after dark. So i let the donkeys out on the yard while i mucked out, with the idea that i would muck out, replenish, put back in. Rose came out, refused to be caught to go back in, ditto Molly,so i ended up leaving the two cobs and the donkeys on the yard.

Leo went into Rose's stable which is right next to his while i mucked him out, and i put Suze and Fleurette into his while i did theirs - Suze is the muckiest pup and i wanted her stable to be left empty so i could just walk her in for dinner. So i left her there, with the grill so Fleurette could talk to Leo and they were fine munching away.

Came back, great hole in stable wall and door where mare has clearly either taken pot shots at Leo or someone else who came to see hello. Clearly could not cope with this close proximity - she does kick other horses if they come into her space, she really doesn't like it.

So today tough love approach. Headcollar on at all times when dealing with her. Tied up, foal removed, rug on, left tied up far enough from the door so she cannot be bothered by another horse.

Fleurette had breakfast in other stable, rug on, professional little foal, no bother at all, donkeys rugged and out, cobs rugged and out, Leo out, Fleurette out, Suze last to come out, glowering a bit but well behaved. New rules, she will have to like it or lump it.

Her dislike of proximity, I begin to wonder IF she has been on a transport where she was loose with other horses and there was a great fight and she either bullied or got bullied. The thought of her going on a meat lorry loose with unknown horses chills me to the bone, she would have killed or been killed as she really does double barrel. And it is all down to fear. She doesn't like other horses in her space at all. BUT if i am with her, and tell her to stow it, she will tolerate them walking past and just make a face but not lash out, she knows right from wrong, and will respect it if i tell her to be good.

Quite how i got booted i am still not sure, I suspect it was the three bloody sheep next door, I had my back to them and Spencer probably jumped up and looked through the grill, that would have been enough. I have banished them to the smaller field so they can't come onto the yard, as the hens are now in the stable i could lock them in.....

I also wonder if it is hormonal, she is still suckling foally and producing a lot of milk.

Who knows. She still is not talking to me, we are glaring at each other, the scared eye is back, she knows she has done wrong. But i think i did the right thing by ignoring her bad behaviour, tempting as it was to grab a water bucket and throw the bloody thing at her and scare her silly to show it was a bad thing to do. She was expecting a beating, and i just ignored it, continued unrugging her and left it at that.

I now have feed in my pocket, and give her a reward every time we do something. She clearly doesn't understand very well, she hasn't found my pocket at all - foal has - and doesn't understand that it is for her to sniff and be interest in, which i find very sad. She has missed out on so many normal things.

Anyway, i just will have to be more careful as I made the mistake of really trusting her, like walking up between her and her foal taking rugs off. And we never had collars on, she had come on so far.

Fortunately Fleurette is a different kettle of fish, very friendly, loving, full of it, but accepting, she has her little rug on without a problem and is very good. She is 14hh or thereabouts at 8 months.....so fortunate she is a good girlie.

It is so easy to lose heart when these things happen, especially when you thought you had been doing so well! But she has had a traumatic time of it, so she is going to have lapses, you're doing the right thing by putting new rules in place as at the end of the day safety has to come first.

She might eventually be better once foalie is fully weaned so she doesn't feel like she has to protect her?

Puz is a bossy mare but not a bully, when she was heavily in foal and then had a foal at foot, she was MEAN. I saw her charge at another pony (tiny, but aggravating little thing) and scrape from its withers to its hindquarters with her teeth.

Maybe she has existing issues that she is gradually overcoming, but still feels like she has to protect baby?

it would all have been much easier if she hadn't the baby, i could be walking her out in hand for 2-3 hours, getting her fit, getting to know her, but of course can't do any of this.

foally is still in with her and suckling. New rule for tonight, her dinner is in but she will be tied up at her haynet, rug off, and then be told she can go and eat.

all the others put themselves in and you just go round closing doors but i always lead her in so she doesn't go into someone else's stable and then cause havoc.

i am disappointed but not giving up on her - just have to stop her hurting me as if i am injured then there are 9 equines to look after and one of them is very much in the only trusts me category, so it will be worse for her if she puts me on crutches for a while.....so just have to be less easy going with her, which she won't enjoy, but tough camembert.

I can't tell you how much I admire your patience, D&T. Suze has obviously been traumatized in her past, and as much as we want our pets to understand that bad thing won't happen anymore, it takes so much time. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make everything better, but you're doing the next best thing - setting rules, being patient, etc.

Sounds like you are working away at things - and I have every faith you will get there. Dread to think how things could have been for her if she had not found you. Hope you are healing, arnica is fab stuff isn't it? Storm trod on my foot last week when it was windy and she spooked at a stable door banging, I think the arnica saved me!

How old is foalie now? Have you decided when your officially going to wean her completely?
Only asking this, because until you've done this, you're not going to be able to get very much further in her (Suzie's) education.
Especially with the way Suzie is acting.

i think i saw a post from diplomatic a couple weeks back about the foal being over 6 months old and how they had started to slowly and gradually wean/separate them.
I was really impressed with the thoughtful, gentle approach to this.

it's chicken and egg, foal is still suckling and suze is producing a lot of milk and given i can't milk her easily to relieve her, she is likely to be mastitis, which is going to make her worse.

I am sure the sheep spooked her, they did it again tonight, so we will have to move them completely out of the way and to the other field, sad for them, but best we can do.

As they are going to remain here together long term, it is probably better to let them wean naturally and while fleurette would probably be fine home alone, it's what to do with mum's milk. Anyway over xmas is not the time to start messing with them.

here is the bruise

P1010363.jpg

P1010364.jpg

newrider.com