My riding lessons.

KatieMay-

Apr 29, 2008
Yorkshire.
They are getting more and more boring!!
I ride my friends horses about 3 times a week, and their RI teaches me sometimes. The lessons she gives me are sooo boring, they have been the same since I started with her about 2 years ago!
Walk for 10 minutes :cool:
Trot for 5 :eek:
Canter for about 30 seconds!! :eek::(
Then some trot poles if I'm lucky!! :(:(:mad:

Infact i am quite a good rider who is capable of jumping, galloping etc etc and I really do not feel I am learning anything. ATALL.

Shall i say something? If I don't want her as my teacher, the chances are I won't be able to ride the pony anymore, as she is the only RI about. :rolleyes:

What to do?
x

if its your friends horse doesn't she get use of the arena or where ever anyway? you could ask if you could just excerise the horse as the RI isn't helping, or speak to to RI she might be thinking the same way that he or shes bored of just telling you to go around in circles because they don't really know what you can do.

Maybe you could have a chat to the RI and tactfully suggest that you feel you'd benefit from having something to aim for, e.g. learning to jump a small course of jumps or learning some lateral work?? RI might then be able to gear your lessons towards you achieving this. Have you ever discussed with the RI what you'd like to do?

Or the other thing you could do is look for books on schooling exercises to give you some ideas of things to try yourself when you're not having lessons.

Say something! You ride to enjoy it, not to be bored. Talk to the RI, she probably doesn't even know that you feel this way.

Our RI is great, she always ask if we are enjoying our lesson, and does change things around. so we never get bored. :D

try telling her that you're kidna bored with some things, and if you could move on, or change up some stuff.

i get lessons once a week since i don't have a horse, and we do things like, well, a school. learn something for one month, something differnt the next, and so on.

maybe it'll work out for both of you, have fun.
:)

Ask her if you can try something different, I always did, for example I once remember asking whether we could do drill riding, and she let us :)
Give it a try :D

My step daughter used to go to a riding stables where the lessons were repetative and hugely boring. She didn't realise but I didn't go very often due to the times we had her at ours so it was usually weeks apart when I'd go and she'd be doing the same old stuff.
I was quite appalled at the tuition that she was getting. The RI was totally disinterested and most of the time wasn't even looking at the riders. No one was interacting with their horses and it was just go large and either trot or canter to the back of the ride. Poor kids! Eventually she did get fed up with it and pretended to have a bad knee :eek:
When I started riding again I took her to the stables I ride at and now she's progressing in leaps and bounds. The knee has miraculously mended and she looks forward to her lessons more than anything.
Talk to your instructor and tell her you want to learn to jump properly or do dressage.

Why not use the books out there eg 100 Schooling exercises and do your own thing? I was getting bored, too, but that book is fab! (Plus I had an instructor that really pushed my comfort boundaries) Have a serious chat with your RI!

newrider.com