My poorly foot

I am an older generation. And in a family with various doctors in the network. None of them private and all passionate about the NHS. So OH and I have not gone for any supplementary therapies, except me having NHS physio twice.
That is a good thing as GP is fully informed and can keep an eye.
Am quite astonished at people here paying for treatments. And maybe therapists not having access to X rays.

@Skib why does it astonish you people will pay for private treatments? If I have a problem that I know physio will help and my GP agrees then why would I want to wait months for NHS treatment when I can pay and go to a good local physio straight away?

I've paid privately twice for Mr T to get a potentially life saving test / procedure. Reason was we could choose where and when and quickly. And knowing his father died of the disease at a very young age speed was of an essence. @Skib my eldest brother is a medical professor and various other family members are all NHS doctors - however none of them is shocked by me paying privately. And my parents (well my mother who is left is 78) and she's probably nearer your age and doesn't think it at all odd for us to pay privately if need be. We pay for teeth if need be so why not other areas if it speeds things up?

If you can afford to pay for private treatment and are happy to do so then what is the issue? Nhs waiting lists are so long and the nhs is so stretched. Anything that can help can only be good. If it shortens the wait for people in general. My leg was stood on by a horse. The wait for nhs physio was long and luckily as I was at uni and it was classed as a sports injury I was able to get physio through the uni sports center. I had to pay although it was a reduced fee.

My X-ray was clear @Skib, so no need for my osteo to have it. And I did go to the nhs physio. I paid because I’ve used the osteo extensively and she’s provided far more relief over the years than any nhs physio ever has and I can’t simply not do things, I have a job to do and horses to take care of so I need to be back fully fit ASAP.

@Jane&Ziggy its the bone in the foot connected to the little toe, not quite a dislocation, I guess more just it was pushed out of place very slightly when I was walking and everything around it had jammed up, so a good massage helped everything loosen up again.

I am an older generation. And in a family with various doctors in the network. None of them private and all passionate about the NHS. So OH and I have not gone for any supplementary therapies, except me having NHS physio twice.
That is a good thing as GP is fully informed and can keep an eye.
Am quite astonished at people here paying for treatments. And maybe therapists not having access to X rays.
Skib I paid for my shoulder surgery privately, the reason was not because I don’t think the NHS are good, I absolutely do, but when you are told by a consultant that you need surgery and if left longer than 18 months the prognosis was very poor, given that it had taken me well over a year to get to that stage and given that the consultant also told me there was about a two year wait for the surgery and given that I was only early 50’s and actually wanted a functioning arm, plus I was lucky enough to be able to afford it I decided it would be worth it.
You may be lucky enough to see your GP, consultant, therapists etc as soon as you need them, but for some of us it’s a wait too long.

My X-ray was clear @Skib, so no need for my osteo to have it. And I did go to the nhs physio. I paid because I’ve used the osteo extensively and she’s provided far more relief over the years than any nhs physio ever has and I can’t simply not do things, I have a job to do and horses to take care of so I need to be back fully fit ASAP.

@Jane&Ziggy its the bone in the foot connected to the little toe, not quite a dislocation, I guess more just it was pushed out of place very slightly when I was walking and everything around it had jammed up, so a good massage helped everything loosen up again.
Glad your feeling a bit better Jessey 😊

Reactions: Jessey
I pay privately for treatment on my leg as although the NHS did a fantastic emergency reconstruction and plastic surgery job on it initially, they could only offer further surgery for scar tissue/ nerve damage and I was warned this could likely worsen it more.

We havent paid for private treatments but my mum has since been told that if she had had her hip surgery sooner it might not have caused the irreparable damage to her back. She waited over 3 years for the hip replacement on the NHS.

My only gripe is that by paying, yes you get seen sooner but for those that cant afford to pay they just get pushed down the waiting list further because the treatments are often performed by the same consultants, who work privately and for the NHS.

Most who do nhs and private work do a set number of days nhs and set number of days private per week, so it shouldn’t have the effect of making nhs waits longer, the waits are just ridiculous regardless.
As with my foot, the rest and wait approach to see if something will sort itself out seems to be the norm.
It makes it particularly difficult for me at work when their medical system would have seen them straight in for an mri if the X-ray had showed nothing and they would have found a way to get them mobile to continue working.

newrider.com