My Poor Boy!!!!and Fantastic Yo/friend

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Yesterday the cows were brought into the barns and yards for the Winter.

The Yard and Barn sit next to, and behind the Stables. From the Stables you cannot actually SEE the cows, just hear them. There are two cows who have found the move incredibly worrying or exciting, I don't know which, as quite honestly I know next to nought about cows. They are REALLY LOUD, and I mean LOUD.

Morse came in last night with the other two horses, It was dark when we brought them in, he was immediately 'worried' about the noise, even though he has been in a field next to the cows and has heard them before. I should have brought him in earlier when I could have risked taking him down a narrow alley to 'see them' but felt it was too much of a risk last night in the dark just in case he freaked and we could not see where we were at.

I stayed with him for a couple of hours cos he was stressing, would not eat his food or his hay, and as soon as I stood up in the stable and he thought I was leaving he would 'talk' to me. Gradually he seemed to settle and I left with the girl who owns the cows and lives on the farm saying she would pop up and check him, which she did. Apparently as the cows settled so did he, and a 10 last night I rang and she said he was fine.

I had a call from Nicky at 6.45 this morn to say he was totally stressed, sweating and tucked up, not touched his food or hay, I was up dressed and about to leave, thinking with the traffic it would take me an hour as it had the other morning (usually 15 minutes) and was quite stressed myself at the thought of him being stressed.......YO rings (bless her) tells me to 'go back to bed' she has been up, sorted him, and put him out, says there is no point in me sitting in the traffic when she is able to sort it for me, says she is glad of something to do as she is a bit LOST since not having to sort Sonny on a morning (PTS 3 wks ago) and that he was ok, more concerned about WHO was making the noise as he could not see them, so she has taken him round to see the cows in daylight.

MY POOR BOY!!!! and my fantastic YO/Friend who I have EVERY faith in, what a fantastic thing to do for us........however, I shall still be down there by 09.00 just to see.......... Just thought she deserved at the very least
a mention. How lucky are Morse and I.

Aw poor boy, and yes she does sound fab, you are so lucky to have her there to help, he will settle with them now he's seen them and knows what they are hopefully, and good luck

Very lucky!:) Poor Morse :( I can imagine that would be very scary indeed...all that racket behind him, they make enough noise in the fields surrounding our farm let alone if they were in behind us:eek: I hope he gets used to them soon. By the end of the winter he won't blink at the noise I should think:)

Well I have been down, and he is fine and happy in his field, although VERY talkative when he saw me. I'm not sure if he was telling me all about the lousy night he had or telling me off for not letting him 'see' the cows:D

However, thankfully he is ok, and although he was obviously stressed out last night, thankfully he is all in one piece and did not do anything silly like attempting to jump out, or taking the stable door off:eek:

OMG his stable is the pits:D It looks like all 3 horses were stabled in there:D
I think the 2 extra bales of shavings I put in yesterday will be coming out in a wheelbarrow again today:D I was cleaning up behind him last night whilst with him and took out 2 buckets FULL of... well you know what...

I have obviously heard the expression, 'I was so scared I **** myself' but had never actually seen it:D until watching poor Morse last night:D and boy he MUST have been scared judging by the stable.

Oh and Shandy 84, def a present, but a bottle of wine for her TONIGHT.... if for no other reason, it will help if she has some to drown out the sound of those noisy COWS tonight..... perhaps I should give Morse a bit......

Tonight he is gonna spend 20 minutes by the cows before going in his stable.

Last edited:
What a great Yo/Friend, it so nice to have people around like that, my new sharer at the yard stayed with me most Of Tuesday when Fi had an accident and stayed so I could go home in the afternoon to check on my Insurance, and pick my daughter up from school, she took the whole day off work for me
and weve only know each other since July. You couldn't wish for a better YO:)

Good YO's, sharers or people on your yard are worth their weight in Gold aren't they, fantastic.

There are four of us who own horses and a Mum and daughter who share Coco with his owner, its great, everybody helps each other out and we all go to off to the pub now and again (well the Mum does, daughter then stays at home, but thats ok cos it makes up for all the miles the Mum rides her bike to ensure daughters safety:D)

Now on Sunday, they all wanted to go to the pub for lunch but I said to carry on cos I was working until 2 so would be unable to make it. Yesterday the Mum said to me, 'Cos you can't make the pub we have changed our plans and I am now cooking lunch for everyone, so come as soon as you finish work, and we will wait for you' I did say to carry on without me and not change their plans but they insisted, how fantastic is that, although I must say I feel a bit guilty that she is putting herself to all that trouble just for me.

Last edited:
Well tonight I took him to see the cows, up the narrow alley, he was just so curious he climbed on our new dung heap to have a better look:D

He had his head over the gates having a good old sniff and one of the cows more or less bellowed in his face:D that just made him all the more curious and I thought for a minute he was gonna climb the gate....

He seemed a lot more settled so I put him in, he again was not really interested in his feed or hay, although definately not so stressed as he was last night. However, as soon as I said Goodnight and went to walk away he started nickering too me. He could see Bailey and Coco cos they both had their heads over the doors but was still calling me. Eventually I decided that perhaps ME being there was stressing him even more, so I put the lights out and walked away. 10 Minutes later I crept back and popped my head over the corrugated iron of the yard.....He was looking straight at me and called immediately:D:D he could only have seen the top of my head..... I walked away again and came home. YO is gonna check on him later but tells me over the phone all seems 'quiet' at the moment.

I just feel so guilty.......I hate the thought of my boy being stressed at all.....

newrider.com