My poor boy - an update on Kal's field move

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
Weyell - all seemed fine yesterday - Toka and Jeffrey (adjacent fields) had a bit of a set to, but Kal and Charlie seemed alright although it seemed Charlie was telling Kal in no uncertain terms who was boss by aiming a few double barrels his way. I checked on him again at about 6 p.m. and he was fine (and still had his fly mask on . . . a first). Checked him over . . . no cuts, no obvious kick marks.

Went up this morning and it was different story. He had two (fresh) kicks tohis right flank. No matter, I thought . . . boys will be boys . . . just sorting out the hierarchy.

Brought him in, cleaned his wounds up, hibiscrub, purple spray and then some nappy cream to keep the flies off. He's been off work due to various issues (tweaked his back and was footy after the farrier) but is now sound so tacked him up and took him into the outdoor school for a lunging session.

After he had warmed up, clipped the side reins on and he was giving me some lovely work . . . best for a while, when we heard two rifle shots, Kal spooked, shot to the end of the lunge line, lost his footing and fell over! Thankfully, he got up and appeared unharmed (if a little snorty). Calmed him down, took a quick look at him and the we continued working . . . more lovely work. When he'd finished and cooled down, I fed him, sponged him down, and took him back out. Returned to the yard to grab the wheelbarrow so I could poo pick and put his headcollar in the car (as you do!). While I was poo picking, I heard cantering feet - looked up and thought they were playing. Finished poo picking (field cleared :smug:), was heading back up to the gate when I glanced at Kal's side and noticed two MORE kicks/cuts. Back up the lane to the car to get headcollar . . . back down to field . . . back up to yard to clean the new cuts up where I notice flies on his knee . . . what I'd failed to notice (b/c his knees are dark) is that he grazed his right knee when he fell over :cry: Cleaned that up too (it was obviously sore because I had to hold his foot up to do it) and turned him back out . . . noticed that he was very slightly sore on his right front on the way back to the field.

My poor boy. I know this is just settling in/early days, but I hate seeing him beaten up. I am going up again in another couple of hours to check on him again . . . will let YO know (she wasn't around earlier this afternoon).

:frown:

N

It's going to be a tough few days, but a lesson learnt.. I think it was a good idea moving him, herd hierarchy is a must for young horses.. teaches them to respect their elders, and about how the structure works.. I guess he'll have a lot more respect from now on!

Awww poor Kal :( ,my baby was just the same,he is still at the bottom of the pecking order but he has learnt over the last year to stay out of the way a bit more :unsure:
They will soon sort themselves out :)

Thanks both . . . I think you're right DarkStorm that he needs a herd structure and to learn some manners, but it's hard watching him go through it.

I went back up this evening . . . no new marks on him but he had whipped all the cream off with his tail so I put a lighweight rug on just to keep the flies off overnight - the rug may rub a little, but it's preferable to having flies get in there. I'll go up tomorrow and re-clean all the wounds and maybe keep him for a little while to keep the flies off/keep clean.

Curious to see what happens when the third herd member, Reggie (whose slave also belongs to Charlie) arrives back from competition tonight. Reggie is a sweetie (and he and Kal have hacked out together) but I wonder if Charlie will have any "jealousy" or "possessive" issues . . . hmmm . . . we'll see.

I know they'll settle . . . and I also know that he needs this guidance/leadership. Have to say though, he was mighty happy to see me and very, very cuddly . . . bless . . . :inlove:

newrider.com