My pony was terrified yesterday and it was my fault

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
It was a funny day yesterday, the sun was shining but it was cold. I started my lesson with a jumper on, but after a ten minute warm up decided I would be too hot, so wanted to take it off.
Normally, I would jump off, take off jumper and re mount, but my RI said she would hold Star whilst I slipped it off. So I let go off the reins and, very slowly took off my jumper, making sure to keep my arms low and not to make any sudden movements, but little Star freaked out. We think she caught sight of a sleeve out the corner of her eye, tried to run. Luckily RI had a good hold of her, and after spinning in a few circles, she managed to stop her. Star was actually shaking though :eek:
R I took jumper off me and we both made a big fuss of Star. RI put jumper on the mountain block and I walked Star over to it to let her sniff it etc. she was absolutely fine with it there :)
This is the first time my pony has genuinely been really frightened, even when a tree was felled in the woods about ten metres ahead, she didn't react like that.
Next time, I will be dis-mounting!!!

Glad it all worked out. I'd have reacted differently though. Making a big fuss of her may make her think her fearful reaction is what you want and that she has successfully saved you all from danger. It's not your 'fault' it's just something she didn't like. When Cally hated the noise of the stirrup iron chinking she freaked. I ignored her and repeatedly made the noise again till she realised nothing bad was happening and it never bothered her again.

Reactions: Keren@serendipity
No we didn't make a fuss of her straight away, so she won't associate that with freaking out, it was a few minutes later when she was still trembling. Never seen such a reaction from her.

Aw bless. But I actually think this sort of thing is really good for youngsters in terms of desensitisation. They have to learn to cope with unexpected things happening! I don't think wrapping them up in cotton wool and trying to protect them from everything is particularly beneficial. Having seen her reaction to this I would suggest doing some in-hand desensitisation work with her, using jumpers, flags, banners etc to get her used to things being swung around. I like to use this sort of event as an educational experience rather than thinking of it as something that should be avoided.

Aw bless. But I actually think this sort of thing is really good for youngsters in terms of desensitisation. They have to learn to cope with unexpected things happening! I don't think wrapping them up in cotton wool and trying to protect them from everything is particularly beneficial. Having seen her reaction to this I would suggest doing some in-hand desensitisation work with her, using jumpers, flags, banners etc to get her used to things being swung around. I like to use this sort of event as an educational experience rather than thinking of it as something that should be avoided.

Hey stranger how's it going? :D been wondering how you are.
Also agree with all of the above, lots and lots of de sensitising will certainly help.

newrider.com