My pony is FAT!

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Just looking through my phone at some pictures and saw one of Shay I took the other day, and he's huge!

He's been on hardly any grazing all summer,even less now, and he's only just started being fed (although granted he has eaten the other 2's feed a couple of times when they wouldn't come down for it).
He's had a small pile of haylage for the last few days and didn't even bother to finish his feed today.

He hasn't done anything for the past few weeks as I am trying to reduce his exercise so I can do more with Kiki, but still, he looks like he's about to give birth! :giggle:

2m5hswk.jpg

I share your shame!:redface: Cameras are banned until I can slim Dolly down. A combination of no exercise and a very mild autumn/early winter has led to a rather portly lady at the moment.

Have decided today that my neighbour can graze his cattle on my main winter field to eat of all the lush long stuff before I dare risk putting any of them on it. Unfortunately Im not even fit enough to lunge her yet so semi starvation is the only answer.:frown:

I feel your pain! Ziggy is immense. It doesn't help that this unseasonably warm weather means that our grass is growing like mad at the moment :stomp:

I hope you have a chance to get the kgs off over winter.

Looking like they are about to give birth isn't bad in my book as that's just a grass belly and not fat. It's fat coverage I get more concerned about. My little man can get a pot belly stuffing his face on ling grass for a few hours each day when I take joy out but he doesn't get a sudden gain in overall condition.

It's hard managing a herd with differing nutritional needs.

Yep, so is mine. Despite a heap of riding, walking out inhand and limiting grass intake he's still exploding in size. I've just begged my fieldmate to stick her horse in the longer grass and leave Flipo in the crappy stuff. She's been extending the fence out every day to give them more and Flipo has just gorged himself. Not easy to control but after two and a half years of owning him, I'm determined that next year I will get it right. I really have got one of those fat on fresh air horses. Guess it makes for cheap feeding if nothing else but we're on vet orders to lose it. I have faith that winter will help him shiver it off but we shall see. :unsure:

Count me in the fatties club too.... I've been making excuses that Arthur is "filling out" into his Comtois shape but upon refreshing my eyes I think he's just got FAT under my nose :redface:

I hate overweight horses and I particularly hate overweight YOUNG horses so I'm ashamed. Albi isn't exactly skinny either. If the weather ever turns cold at least the grass will stop growing and they'll start to drop...

I'm sure he's not that fat in real life :unsure: Just come back from feeding them and redoing Ambers foot and he def doesn't look as fat as in the pic, maybe it's just the angle? :giggle:

I'm sure he's not that fat in real life :unsure: Just come back from feeding them and redoing Ambers foot and he def doesn't look as fat as in the pic, maybe it's just the angle? :giggle:

So!!!! You craftily put up a thread with a misleading piccy of your chap suggesting he might be a bit on the tubby side? Yes?

You then sit back and snort and giggle whilst we all join Fatty's Antonymous and confess to our horse keeping crimes.

Then when you have amused yourself at the expenses of our Billy Bunter horses you now say you shouldnt really be in this club cos yours isnt really fat?? :devil:

Humph!.......:giggle::giggle:

newrider.com