My plan for youngster over next 6 months - what do you think?

TEmily

Oct 14, 2008
Sheffield South Yorkshire
Just trying to get a bit of a clearer picture of what me and Del can do over the winter months and in the spring. My yard has no surface and is quite muddy atm, so nowhere to do any groundwork really, and our gate opens straight onto a 40mph road so no walking out either! So here's my plans:

Currently:
- get him used to stuff on his back. Have been casually throwing my jacket over him when I'm grooming which he thinks is a bit scary still. Going to build up to a saddle cloth with surcingle, then a blanket then a full blown rug!
- Get better with feet. He'll pick them up nicely for me and YO 90% of time but thinks farriers are scary horse eating monsters.
- start taking a whip into stable and touching him all over with it. I don't see why this should bother him as no-one's ever hit him with one! Build up to tying a plastic bag at the end of it and touching him with that.
- Take some clippers into stable and touch him all over with them
- maybe try a bit in his mouth at the beginning of spring:

Then when weather improves:
- work on leading in hand as occasionally he still thinks its ok to leap about when he's feeling giddy. At first I thought I would get a dually, but actually I think I'm going to try to get him to behave in a normal headcollar first, as most of the time he's very good.
- try some join up in the paddock. Do join up wearing surcingle and saddle cloth, do join up wearing boots (I've never tried to do join up before so a bit unsure how I'll do!)
- walk over poles, between jump fillers, over tarpaulin and over wooden boards (if I can get some)
- Every weekend when y/o gets back from show and lorry is open, build up to leading him up to and on it. I think this will be hard as to bring him to our yard at 8 months old (before he was mine) he was physically manhandled into a trailer by 3 blokes and was really frightened.

- put saddle on (towards end of summer when he's 2.5)

Any other ideas of things I can do/get him used to? What does everyone do with their youngsters?

my youngster's diary is in the blogs section. he's now five. I take it your youngster is only 2? i wouldn't be bothering with clippers, poles etc at this age I'd also be very wary of introducing new things in a stable, too many walls to get squished against! i'd get the leading and manners with feet sorted first. the loading practice sounds like it would be benificial :)

I'd agree with basic manners and feet. Also I would do any form of desensitation to clippers etc outside, that way he doesn't feel trapped and you don't get squished. It would be worth reading up on approach and retreat as that is predominately what i use on my filly.

Go our for in hand hacks, get him used to sights and sounds and going on and off a box/trailer. Take him out to a few shows in the summer just for the experience (only one or two, in hand for fun). I agree you can also introduce most things like saddlecloths, boots, etc. My filly has been used to having lots of stuff piled on her from quite a early age from rugs to buckets to carrier bags stuffed with hay.

You could also practise getting him to move away from you using your hands turning his hindquarters and forequarters away even when just simply grooming. I would also make sure he understands about personal space and the fact he's not allowed in yours unless invited.

Sounds like your on the right lines of thinking though :)

Look forward to hearing how you get on!

newrider.com