My Oskana has a cough........

HAYLEY GITTOES

Shropshire lass....!
Mar 14, 2002
Shropshire (West Midlands)
Visit site
I went down the stables last night and Oskana had a terrible (dry?) cough.

She is kept in the stable all day on shavings as she has sweet itch, so I'm not sure if the stable is a bit dry for her.

I'm going to keep her out for a few days and keep an eye on her.

Just wondering if anybody has got any ideas?

The vet is coming out soon for Tecnas & Flu, but I think I might have to call him sooner.

Any body got any ideas / thoughts ????

Could it be the first signs of a dust allergy?

Mr Shay has a dust and pollen allergy and is coughing his guts up with a dry cough at the moment:(
He does the same when he is stabled.

When hes in the stable he is on rubber matting with no bedding, and the horses around him have no bedding either.
He has to have haylage as hay makes him cough, and he can't have any chaff based feed as it also makes him cough.
He has magnesium if he has a bad 'episode'.

In the field I have no quite worked it out yet:(

It could be that the shavings are too dry. Spray them gently with a watering can just to keep the dust down. Yes I know they are dust extracted etc. etc. but when they have been walked on, they break down and you do get a lot of dust.

I use woodchips, very small, Easibed or StableDry, because you get no dust at all as they dont break down when walked on. But even this gets very dry in summer, so I water it gently on the top, it dries out and doesnt smell because it is clean water.

I knew one lady who horse had bad COPD, and her bedding was very wet, I always commented to her that he would get Pneumonia from sleeping on a wet bed, but she said the rug kept him dry.

Each to their own I suppose.:confused:

do you soak her hay? it could be that as well. or if her neighbours are on straw, then the air will be dusty everywere, especially in an indoor barn thing.

you could change the shavings to something even less dusty (i found some 'dust extracted' shavings are actually still dusty as hell!) eg bedmax

Julia
x

newrider.com