My new treeless saddle

alessasavoca

Jun 9, 2008
Dorset
It's apparently the first in the UK? An EZ Fit Saddle hand made by the Amish saddler Eli Beiler. I will get some more photos of it hopefully tomorrow-the photos I have now do not do it justice, although my lovely American Paint colt Herbie (yes trust me to get the Paint who's white bits are on his belly!) was an excellent saddle rack to have photos taken.

The underside has shaped panels which give excellent wither clearance-Herbie is has a definite wither but there was still a very clear spine channel. They say a pad is not always needed, it fits my chubby shirexcob no problem, although Herbie will need a pad as he's more narrow. The whole seat lifts up and you can adjust the rigging position of the girth and stirrups, the measurements are clearly marked underneath to ensure you line it all up evenly.

So far to ride in, it's very comfortable for me, and Roman moved very freely in it with no tripping, which is a problem I had in his tree'd saddle. He has a sore patch of skin on his back now (unrelated to any saddle, a bird pooed on his back and it seems to have burnt the skin? :eek: ) which means I am not doing any major riding for now so can't test it out any more for the time being.

Here are some pics, like I said the pics don't do it justice, what shows up 'orange' is actually a lovely rich tan colour and the turquoise seat is much darker ostrich leather.

P100409_162024.jpg

P100409_162014.jpg

P100409_162001.jpg

P100409_161943.jpg

Edited to add-in these photos I had not adjusted anything, Herbie was just an attractive saddle rack! lol

I went for a wee look at their website! It is certainly a thing of great beauty:D

Looking forward to updates of how you are getting along with it:D

ps - dont let No_Angel see this thread - she'll want to buy one too;)

Too late skippys mum!

I would be really interested to see more pics fo this :) I looked into buying one a few months ago as I love the adjustable-ness of it, but I saw a few pics where the saddles looked uneven so decided not to tempt it.

Which size did you go for?

This is a medium saddle, I haven't attempted to adjust it yet although I would like the seat a little smaller (it's currently on the largest setting) and the stirrups just a little further forward. The velcro holding the seat to the saddle is majorly heavy duty stuff and I think I need to enlist the OH to help me. :D

This one is certainly very level and I can only assume that if you are not happy with it he will take it back, I have a 2 week trial less $50 and shipping costs but I love it so much it's not going back!

I am going to attempt to pop it back on Herbie today-that's the first time he's ever worn a saddle (albeit not cinched up), and as you can see he was so stressed. :rolleyes: The stirrups were banging against his sides and he really couldn't care less so today I will see if he allows me to cinch it up, I will take more photos of it too so you can have a better look.

New Forest-yes it was me! It's finally arrived after all this time (got stuck in the post which didn't help), I love it and will get cracking properly as soon as the skin has healed on Roman's back. :)

Endurance Ali- Eli doesn't have a website specifically as he is amish so doesn't actually use a computer but here is the website of the agent I bought mine from:

http://ezfittreelesssaddles.com/

She was lovely and ever so helpful, both her and her husband ride in these saddles and she sent me tons of photographs of their saddles and different angles etc. She is still being very helpful now answering all my numpty questions now the saddle is here. :)

update-today I tried it on Roman properly as his back has healed, I didn't use a pad as it's not always needed (he is very wide so is one that wouldn't need a pad).

I lllooooovvveee it. Within 2 mins (time for me to adjust the stirrups) it had moulded perfectly to his back, so I hopped on and rode around (albeit with stirrups too long but I couldn't explain well enough to my OH how to alter a western stirrup from the ground lol) and I could get my entire arm underneath the saddle so there is oodles of spine clearance. Roman was very comfortable in the saddle, he also wasn't girthy which is a problem of his normally.

It rides much like a tree'd western although there is more 'feel', there's loads of twist so I didn't feel like I was being split in half, it's also very secure with the high cantle and pommel, and to be honest it's nice not to have a horn as sometimes I feel they can get in the way more than they come in handy!

I have got some pics of me on board with Roman in a headcollar and tomorrow I am going for a hack in it. I am so sold I am ordering one in black for Roman to match his KV bridle-the tan one is really for Herbie!

newrider.com