my lesson today - more jumping ! (update for DavidH)

BlueWicked

fluff-free
Jan 13, 2008
in the real world...
After some fab advice here about my jumping (thanks DavidH) I went into my lesson today and asked if could have a go with a couple of poles on the ground and build it up (having explained the probs I had had).

Firstly; I was chuffed to bits that my RI commented when we were warming up that I am now 'getting on with it and RIDING the horse'! instead of worrying abut every little thing....

So... we started out with 2 poles on the ground in a V shape to walk a figure of 8 over. Going into the first one I was thinking about not paniking a few strides out:eek:, infact I concentrated on sticking my shoulders back, maintaining a soft contact, and yapping to my RI and disengaging from what Blue was doing, and guess what - he WALKED over the pole! ! ! Several fugures of 8 later he was STILL walking over the poles!!!!! :D So RI got me to trot the exercise and this time coming into the first one I felt the old rushing coming back, Blue anticipated me being about to tip forward I think, RI shouted to ignore him, and we carried on. Next time in I really focused on not dropping the contact, shoulders back and stayed rising - and IT WORKED! :D 10 mins later were merrily trotting figures of 8 over these poles with no problems whatsoever:D

RI commented - so this is the horse who cant do more than one pole on the ground or xpole warmup fence without ending up rearing/going sideways/bucking/charging....? ;):p

Anyway, I told RI we'd been jumping max 2ft, so poles went up and we cantered the figure of 8 beautifully. Ive learned today that I have to support him in canter and not be afraid of having a contact as he doesnt resent it and if I sit back and dont tip he doesnt rush in. Ive also learned that if I dont see the stride to leave him alone and grab mane cos im about to get launched! Ha ha! :eek::D

RI sneaked the poles up on us and we ended up jumping the exercise at 2ft 6 which is a real first for me, and I am so chuffed , Im grinning from ear to ear:D

............. have a bite of my creamegg twisted bar if you read all that:)

That sounds like terrific progress, BlueWicked - well done! It's wonderful when you can get an excitable horse slowed down, relaxed and listening ...

I've been trying to work out how you do a figuore of 8 over a V. Imagine the V has it's point to the left < like this. Then you go over the nearest one, turn right out of the wide part of the V, round the end of the second pole and back over it. Then round the end of the first pole and you're back where you started. Is that right?

And (real ignorance here!) I like cream eggs, but I've never met a cream egg twisted bar ... It sounds like a sort of bit ...:confused:

That sounds like terrific progress, BlueWicked - well done! It's wonderful when you can get an excitable horse slowed down, relaxed and listening ...

I've been trying to work out how you do a figuore of 8 over a V. Imagine the V has it's point to the left < like this. Then you go over the nearest one, turn right out of the wide part of the V, round the end of the second pole and back over it. Then round the end of the first pole and you're back where you started. Is that right?

And (real ignorance here!) I like cream eggs, but I've never met a cream egg twisted bar ... It sounds like a sort of bit ...:confused:

thanks everyone :) im still grinning!

http://www.cremeeggtwisted.com/?campaign_id=twse :D

does this rather rubbish drawing help..?:eek::D you can play about with it and do it from the other way etc etc...
figure8.jpg

newrider.com