My horse when tied up PULLS BACK!!

RichNewRider

Apr 30, 2007
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi, ever since I've had my horse about just over a month now he's pulled back when he's tied with his lead rope. He walks backwards untill he feels the tension in the rope then launches backwards, pulling back very hard! almost panicking to get loose!

Been through several lead ropes and head collars... now just brush him and tack him up in his stable! would really like to be able to tie him up outside and brush him as it's such nice weather atm (well aside from the flooding lol)..

Could anyone suggest a solution to this problem?? atm using a lead rope with a press release button for when i do tie him (rarely) and he pulls back... dont want him to break his neck!!!

Also cant tie him inside his stable because again as soon as he walks backwatrds and feels the tension, he'll pull with all his might and either break the rope, headcollar or (even worse) himself :(

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Rich :)

Why is he breaking the headcollar and not the baller twine... Please tell me you are using baller twine!!! (sorry if thats spelt wrong but u know what I mean the stuff hay bales are tied with)

I can't help but ours does this occasionally, he actually broke the tie he was tied to a couple of weeks ago - scared the life out of me!

Ours isn't as anywhere near bad as yours so we are just seeing what makes him do it (today he had a freak out at a rug we were trying on him - we've done loads of rugs as we are on a rug buying spree - the ones he came with DROWN him - he hasn't done it before - so we are at a loss as to why today???)

Its not nice to see though is it

sounds like he may have gotten caught in something in the past and frightened himself or he may just be oneof the clever ines who realise you can break ropes easily enough. Does he seem scared when he does it?

some suggestions that might help-
1. if you have a friend who could stand and hold him when he is tied, patting and talking to him while you work away on him.
2. Wear gloves, slip the end of a long lead rope through the ring and hold it in your hand. When he goes to pull back you can allow him to backup a bit and then pull the rope to get him to come back, when he keeps backing up but doesnt feel the expected tension on the rope it might break the cycle. Obviously its a pain tryin gto groom with the end of rope in one hand though
3. feed him. Put some hay down on the ground where you plan to tie him up and allow him toeat away at that while you are working.

Why is he breaking the headcollar and not the baller twine... Please tell me you are using baller twine!!! (sorry if thats spelt wrong but u know what I mean the stuff hay bales are tied with)

Yes, we started using the twine, but we didn't to start with because didn't recognise the problem, just thought it was nerves with him being at a new yard. :confused:

But with the twine he snappes it and then trots towards the field which is across a road!!! :eek:

I agree Snowyboy, it's not nice, he does panic!! :(

DONT tie him to anything which wont give way - Ive seen a horse lift off a metal barn door in a panic before.
Either tie him to baler twine, or better still, to a panic snap (you can buy them from places like Robinsons www.robinsons-uk.com).
Id do some groundwork with him to encourage him to realise that being tied up isnt being trapped. Maybe also just loop the rope through the twine (in a safe area) so if he pulls back he doesnt get resistance so doesnt escalate into feeling trapped (Im assuming he stops once the headcollar breaks so the feeling of restraint is what he has the problem with).

Sorry cross posted with you. If he is trotting off to his field are you sure it is panic. If it is then groundwork, taking things slow and probably not tying him up on a yard where he can get to the road is the best plan!

xxx

sounds like he may have gotten caught in something in the past and frightened himself or he may just be oneof the clever ines who realise you can break ropes easily enough. Does he seem scared when he does it?

some suggestions that might help-
1. if you have a friend who could stand and hold him when he is tied, patting and talking to him while you work away on him.
2. Wear gloves, slip the end of a long lead rope through the ring and hold it in your hand. When he goes to pull back you can allow him to backup a bit and then pull the rope to get him to come back, when he keeps backing up but doesnt feel the expected tension on the rope it might break the cycle. Obviously its a pain tryin gto groom with the end of rope in one hand though
3. feed him. Put some hay down on the ground where you plan to tie him up and allow him toeat away at that while you are working.

Hey, thanks Siogfinsceal.... tried the third one, he takes a mouthful then backs off, hmm 2 clever!!

holding him with one hand sounds a v good idea, will try it thanks!!!

Horses need to be trained to tie up, its not something they are born with. You will have to put some work into it to break the cycle. I probably wouldnt be the best person to explain how to train this, but it might be a good idea to get a book like Kelly Marks' Perfect Manners which has exercises that teach a horse to 'give in' to pressure rather than fight it.
Btw you should always use something breakable to tie them with, such as baling twine, or someone (probably the horse) will be injured.

Baling twine doesn't always snap - I know through experience... and lots of broken lead ropes! The panic release thingies are much safer. I guess they are making baling twine out of stronger material than they used to!

sorry - just remembered! DOH

We were advised to tie him up and then him have his lick - he LOVES his lick. So he gets to associate being tied up with a treat.

As he's only done it a couple of times (4 I think) we've not done that yet, but after today we felt it may be appropriate

I did tie him up again, talked to him, and we gave him his lick whilst tied up and patting and stroking him and talking calmly to him

I even untied him and had a go and dribbling water down his legs - he goes nuts if water is near him

He was much calmer being held and could move a bit whilst I did it so we gently kept doing it and after about 5 mins he stood whilst I dribbled some water off a sponge down one leg!!

It may not sound much to anyone but when your pony FREAKS at water its a real joy to see him not sweat and shake and prace about like a nutter

Hope some of these ideas can help - I am reading this with much close interest

And did he pull back before he came to u? I'm wondering if maybe he pulled back being tied to something not so snapable and scared himself u c?

I had my mare tied to baler twine and she still broke the head collar :eek:, I used to tie her up so that SHE had the slip knot? so when she pulled it just came undone, and I just kept retying her till she got bored of doing it? that way there was no tension, no panic etc, and when she pulled it undone she never went anywhere, yet if she broke free she would panic and run, though I never left her tied like that.

I assume that he doesn't refuse to walk when you lead him.

When I break in cows to headcollars and they refuse to walk. I just stand still and lean on the rope hard, don't tie it to your body but take it round your back so it takes some of the support from your hands, and if they pull back they might move a few paces but then give a good hard yank so that they know it's not correct, it soon teachers them that going forward is better. You might ask how this is going to help when tying him up is the problem. The cows quite often will step back putting there full weight on the rope almost strangling themselves you think. I just keep walking behind them and give them a slap on the back to make them move forward, which releases pressure.

Not sure I've explained it to well, but instead of tying the horse up to something solid you need to be the tie for a bit. So just lean against where ever you normally tie him. It might take several weeks but I think you need to do some ground work with him. Get someone else to do the grooming whilst you hold. Oh and rather than a head collar and lead I would temporarily try using a lead rope, one which tensions as they pull back. Then if then move forwards they release the pressure.

You've only had him a month and I'm sure that he has had a spook at some stage but in no time at all he'll be quite happy to stand there.

My lad used to do it but not out of fear because he had the strength too!!
He's broken wooden fences, baling twine and anything else that he was tied to. It was a slow process that involved us bonding and him learning to trust(he did have issues with being tied up and stables barging too!!!) me, also alot of groundwork too.
In time it all just fell into place. I use a quick release trailer clip which i use on thick baling twine(wrapped around a few times) on a metal post. I'm too nervous around wooden ones!!!:D

As well as the above suggestions, tie him up normally (on baler twine) and again on a significantly longer rope to a separate piece of twine. Once he's pulled back, he will not be free because he'll still be tied up by the longer rope. This gives you time to tie him up again with a new piece of string without him getting loose, and he should also realise that pulling back won't have any advantage for him.

I'm sorry I have been sitting on my hands all day with this as I didn't want to be the one to say it but as nobody else has I guess I'll have to be unpopular for doing so.

I've read through ** previous posts and the gist I get (on the basis that you mentioned on a post in April that you only recently knew what rising trot was and couldnt yet do it that you have not been around horses very long?)

And from what you have said in this thread your now experiencing behavioural difficulties.

From what I can gather you have had a handful of lessons and gone and bought a horse.

I dont know what situation you are in stabling wise but if all by yourself please please please consider moving to a livery yard possibly as part or full livery so that you have people around you that can help you and guide you. Or if not get somebody you know involved that does.

I'm not trying to be patronising condescending or nasty with this. I have been around horses for 15 years and am only just starting to consider buying one and only with the benefit of knowledgeable people behind me.

If my assumptions are wrong I'm sorry

We have a puller also. Apparently she has done it all of her life (she is 14). Last year she pulled, broke the rope, flippped over backwards, went down an incline and missed a propane tank by inches... in other words, she just about killed herself. Fortunately my daughter was beside her and not behind her when it happened. I talked with an experienced horse person a few days ago that related a story of her horse that would only pull back periodically- once a year or so- but always at a dangerous time. She taught her horses to tether by a leg and never tied to a head collar again. My vet had to shoot a horse up in the mountains that pulled back and broke it's leg...

All horror stories, but I guess I want to make sure you understand how dangerous this can be. It is not anything to fool around with.

Now, my horse does not pull back when led, only when tied, so there is a difference in our situations. However, I will tell you how I handle it and perhaps there is something helpful here...

I use a tie-ring which is basically a round metal ring about 4 inches in diameter with a "tongue" attached to the bottom of the ring that flips upwards. The rope is threaded around the tongue, not tied. It gives resistance, but if the horse pulls hard, the rope slides through. I use a 20 foot rope. The horse quits pulling back after a few feet, and then it is a simple matter of pulling the rope back up short. That way, the horse is not rewarded for pulling back- it just results in being brought back up again- but quits the panic when she realizes she is not "caught".

We never tie her to anything else, even though she has not pulled back since that last accident. I have rings tied to trees and fence posts, as well as the trailer. They cost about $5.00 to make.

I cannot describe the tie ring much better, but Clinton Anderson does a big business in selling them. I believe they are also called Blocker Rings. I think it was KarinUS (?) who sent me a picture of a homemade one which is what I use.. I will see if I can find it, but do a search on pulling back and perhaps you can find it yourself. The thread was a year ago or so... last summer, I think.

newrider.com