My horse ONLY wants to canter, won't walk

mejust@cox.net

Apr 18, 2005
Suffield, Connecticut
I have an 11 year old quarter horse (new to me). He has been gentle and kind while walking and trotting. I just learned to canter a few weeks ago and the past three days he is refusing to walk. His head is up and he is ready to fly. Every time he walks peacefully for a few moments I give him the canter leg aid and off he goes. He will drop down to a trot but even when just trotting around the arena he will start cantering without the leg. He is so excited about cantering that he is starting to have tantrums when I insist that he walk. HELP! :(

just an idea

Someone adviced me, as I to have a new horse, if he seems a bit above himself and wants to go, before you ride him lunge him for about 15 minutes till he breaks sweat, so he can let go of all his inbuilt steam or fizziness and then don't get on him straight away, leave him for 10 or 15 minutes so he can settle down and then ride him and he will be more willing to listen to you.
I found that it does work and is very good for my confidence as well especially getting used to a new horse. :)

Do you know what he was doing before you got him? If he was used to racing, he may think that's what he's supposed to do, and it may take awhile to convince him that walking and trotting are good too :p

mejust@cox.net said:
Every time he walks peacefully for a few moments I give him the canter leg aid and off he goes.
You're asking him to canter and you get canter? Maybe while you are still getting used to him, don't ask for walk-canter transitions.

If you don't mean to ask for canter, bring him back down to walk and ask for trot again. Make sure you don't ask too firmly as its possible that he's used to lighter aids than what you're giving.

As for popping in to canter from trot without being asked - ensure your legs are quiet & not gripping too hard, and that you're not bouncing too much. My pony decides that the bouncing reduces if he slips into canter, but only usually does this with beginners who haven't got the hang of trot yet. His canter for them is usually a nice slow lope - he's a darling!

Just thought I'd add that if your horse is used to riding from A to B & back home again (like Casper was), then it's possible that he thinks he's doing it right as he's never had the oppurtunity to relax at walk. It took months for Casper to relax at walk, but if you relax your pelvis & hips & just swing with his movement, you'll be able to relax him more.

Best of luck. :)

Last edited:
I agree,I think lunging is the best way to go. He will get out all his energy and not have the need to break through the flood gates!! :) Also, if he was ridden by someone who did not take control, perhaps he feels that he can do this with you. If he refuses to walk, try redirecting his attention, turn him in a circle to disengage his hind quarters, that should bring him down to at least a trot since it is harder to canter in a small circle. Most importantly, be firm but soft and do not let him run you over!! :) Good luck. I am with a new mare myself and am having some of the same issues!! :)

take your foot off the gas pedal !! :p

Seriously - it could be that you are anticipating what he will do and unintentionally gripping with your legs. So he is actually trying to do what you ask ....

Make sure that when you want walk you have a very clear mental image of WALK and you can even try counting out loud each step 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 and so on. Ditto for trot - check you are not over-cueing and have a clear picture of trot, and then count 1-2 1-2 1-2

You'll feel like a bit of an idiot, but it does work... :D

If the horse is doing it to misbehave and/or take control, I suggest pushing the horse on until it really wants to stop ie. send it around the arena for a few laps.

Then the horse will think twice about taking off in canter again, as it means WORK !!

This will also help establish who is boss.....At the moment the horse is boss as it decides when to canter and for how long.

I ride a quarter horse too (I love him SO much!), who is much better trained than I am, and very sensitive to cues. If I even squeeze too hard with the legs, he can start cantering. He's made me a much better and more suble rider, but that might be part of your problem. What a joy, though, that he's so willing!

Still at it!!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am now going to lunge him first and I'm getting the definite feeling that he's trying to please me and is getting frustrated when it isn't "right" (which, in turn, makes me think that he probably is very very good at picking up on gentle pressure).

I'll let you know after a few more days how it is going. It was a 100 degrees here today...too hot to ride!

It was 106 degrees here--so OH and me had to ride at night. I have an ex race horse who is also extremely sensitive to leg cues and really loves to canter. Her previous owner did nothing but jump on her and run her fast, so she thinks she can please me by running off. I also lunge first, but she is still pretty speedy. It sometimes helps me to ride her on a long reign with no leg pressure to help her understand I only want to walk. My trainer suggested to ride her in a kemberwick once a week, just to make sure she knows it is not ok to run away with me, then switch back to a softer bit.

Walking again!

I'm happy to report that after lunging him the last three rides, Ziggy is once again walking. I'm also starting the Parelli 1st level and sat in his paddock for a half hour before riding today. He wouldn't leave my side and chased the other horses away...it was awesome. He just kept nuzzling me up one side, over the top of my head, and down the other side. When I was ready to leave he came over to the gate with me and was very happy to have his halter put on. :)

I have had a horse that would do this and it is unexceptable. Until I could control my horse around the whole arena I would use a small portion, a corner really. I would make an imaginary round pen and make my horse stay in that circle trying to keep him as close to it as possible. Until he learned some manners and to respond to my cues/aides we would not use the whole arena. The first few times he would try to break out of the circle and I had to pull him back. After the first few times of him cross-cantering across the arena he learned that he wouldnt get away with it and doesn't try it anymore. Hope this helps.

Hey, my horses name is Ziggy too :p

Your first tip to me that this horse is being reactive is that his head is high, so his life is UP when he is going into the canter....this is not a good thing, as he is being (over) reactive to something, whether it's your cue or his emotional baggage from a previous experience.

Since you've started Parelli there is something you can look into that would be my first answer to this problem. In level 2 you will learn a riding pattern called the "cloverleaf" ask someone to explain it to you, and providing your safe there is no reason why you can't start it now. It's perfect for slowing down fast horses and speeding up slow horses. It's in the impulsion program of Stage 5 if you know any L2 students and can look at their pack, or ask an instructor to explain it.

My Ziggy (also a QH) prefers to canter over trot, as the canter is easier for QH's, (so I've been told) His has an elevated trot, which is unusual for the breed, and so if it were up to him (it's not though), he'd canter or walk. But with my Zig, it's never fast. The only time I see him go fast is chasing the pony away at dinner time, the rest of the time his canter is just a lovely lope that I could ride all day.

Here in Australia we find many conflicts between traditional trainers and what you are taught in Parelli, but the rewards are worth it.

Last edited:
Congrats on your progress

Congratualations on the progress thus far. If I may...what is this "I'm also starting the Parelli 1st level and sat in his paddock for a half hour before riding today". I sure as heck would love for my horse to do that to me!!! Please share what Parelli 1st level is!! :) Thanks and congrats again

Have to make this comment, but very glad Parelli has been mentioned. To all of you who lunge your horses to take away the 'fizz' you are making your situation worse. Lunging in small circles makes a horse very fit over time. It may work once or twice but in the end you are creating a very fit horse, and fit horses are more able and more likely to play up.

Go to www.horseproblems.com.au if you want to read about this. Certainly makes sense to me (and I dont think its fair on a horse to lunge it hard to wear it out, lunging should be for educational purposes only).

Oh, and the whole sitting in the paddock thing for half an hour before doing anything, is the first task you are asked to do in Parelli Level 1. It allows your horse to choose whether he wants to be with you or not, and develops their curiosity. You basically just sit there, dont move, and only touch your horse when he touches you first. Thats a simplified explanation anyway. It is a great experience.

I hope I dont sound like a know it all or anything, because I am still learning myself, but the Parelli principals, and the horse problems site above, really make so much sense to me.

I looked up Parelli on the internet and have just fell in love. I only wish I lived in Colorado or neighboring areas to attend a clinic. And OH MY GOSH do I want the level one kit!!! WHy does it have to be so expensive!! :( I would like to start doing the sitting thing....Does anyone else have any tips to share that are in the Parelli teachings.

I'm half way through my Parelli Level 2.

It is everything said above and sooooo much more. When you can ask your horse "at liberty" i.e. no strings attached! to move around you at a walk trot or canter, come back to you when you ask, back up, sidle up to a fence to be mounted...it's just the best feeling in teh whole world. And you get a smarter, braver horse to go with it.

You do have a Savvy Centre in the UK and some of the worlds best PNH Instructors, Charlotte Dennis, Dave Stuart just to name a few. They have just opened up a brand new centre there, but look up Parelli UK and you will find everything you need.

In the UK you can join the Savvy Club for 12.50 per month (pounds) and you get your partnership pack free. Trust me...it's worth it.

Sorry Drm2go just realised you're in California... They have another centre in Florida if that's any help...

But hey, I'm in Australia and am going over to Colorado in September for the Savvy Conference. It's a 3 day event packed full of watching and learning from the Parelli's and team.

Many of there instructors travel and in the US you seem to have more than anywhere. The Parelli's also do a "tour" every year and travel all over the US for 2 day slots I think.

newrider.com