My horse has stopped letting me pick out his feet?!

Rachael49

Aug 27, 2020
HI
I'm new to forums, so bare with me, hopefully I'm posting correctly!!! My horse has started refusing to pick up his feet to be picked out. He even turned on me yesterday and kicked out. He has had 6 weeks off after putting his pelvis and hip out slightly when he got his feet over the trailer bar after a fun ride. I've only had him since February and he's only 6. He's normally a very gentle (BIG) cob! I had the farrier take his shoes off as he had a little bruising on his right front foot but all is fine. He didn't want to pick up for the farrier and its carried on from there. I know it could be the thought of pain linked to his former accident however, even with food temptations he's not wanting them done. Any pointers as to what to do from here would be gratefully received!!!

Hi welcome to NR :D

I would be getting the vet to rule out pain initially, there could be some lasting niggling thing going on from the accident. Once you have done that then you can get a bit more persistent with the training.

Normally I would say stand up to him and don't let him take the mick, but since this has arisen after an accident and he was also being difficult for the farrier I would suspect it's pain related and get the vet out to check him over. If he gets the all clear then get someone experienced to help you work through it and don't go in all guns blazing, even with the all clear he may be remembering it hurt before.

Hi welcome to NR :D

I would be getting the vet to rule out pain initially, there could be some lasting niggling thing going on from the accident. Once you have done that then you can get a bit more persistent with the training.

Thank you Jessey, I do think I'll do that :)

Reactions: Jessey
Normally I would say stand up to him and don't let him take the mick, but since this has arisen after an accident and he was also being difficult for the farrier I would suspect it's pain related and get the vet out to check him over. If he gets the all clear then get someone experienced to help you work through it and don't go in all guns blazing, even with the all clear he may be remembering it hurt before.
Agree

Reactions: Huggy
I have a vet coming on Tue evening which I'm now pleased about :)
I’m sure it’s going to feel like the longest time waiting until Tuesday, but it will be worth it to catch a problem before it gets bad or to get the all clear so you can be firmer on the training with confidence there’s nothing else going on ?

He could be sore. Buddy is a veteran and he has been a bit reluctant to pick up his hinds but i do it by walking him and getting the hoof when it is in the air and putting his hoof boots on like that, he is on pain relief and supplements. BUT if he is not getting his boots on, or when he comes back from exercise, he lifts them perfectly ok.....make of that what you will.

Hi, I definitely agree with everyone else. It sounds like something is wrong and he's hurting somewhere still. Have a talk to your vet and see what they say. In the meanwhile you can start playing with his legs, by just brushing them and giving him a scratching , without trying to pick them up and slowly give him his confidence back that you are not going to hurt him, and slowly it might help. Just do it gradually and this might help him relax enough to let you pick them up. Good luck ?

newrider.com