My horse has dry skin any use a cream or suppliment .

Boofle bear

Jun 17, 2015
Hiya,
I am wondering if any one can help me, my new horse that I have had for 5 months has dry skin on legs and hair has come off and it is slightly pink underneath, also he has little blobs just under the his hair on his body I can only describe them as little blobs of grease. He tends to rub against things as if the are irritating.
Can any one tell what they could be or have any dealing with this and any idears how to treat it? Cheers and many thanks in advance for your time.x

Where abouts is the dry skin on his legs? does it look the same as the patches on his body? might be easier if you can snap some pics as skin conditions can present very differently and best course of action would depend on the cause.

Hiya everyone I have taken some pics of areas thanks for any info!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 15
Hm if that were on my horse then I think I would be doing a daily wash with some hibiscrub for about 5 days around the area to keep it clean and kill any nasties that are lurking there. Then just watch and see how it develops (if it does).

Thanks will try that, he has had the problem for a while according to the girl I got him from but they we're not sure what it was, it does seem to have got worse,not sure if it is weather related as when I got him it was not as noticable as it is now?

Have you considered mites? Is it itchy?
I would try hibiscrub wash and then slather with sudocreme to see if that helps settle it down

No never thought of mites, he does not seem really bothered by it, not that I have noticed anyway but would like to get to the bottom of it , I will have to look for some info on mites. Cheers x

Reactions: Jessey
I personally have no experience but is it Mallenders and Sallenders?
I found this - It occurs as a focal area of increased production of keratin (called hyperkeratosis these days!) which accumulates within the coat, forming thickened, crusted skin. These lesions occur on areas of maximum skin flexion. When they occur behind the knees, they are called Mallenders, and when on the skin over the cranial surface of the hock, they are called Sallenders.
Treatment - as with many cases of hyperkeratosis one is aiming at control rather than cure. Gentle emollients which soften the debris will affect a satisfactory degree of debridement of the crusted skin.

Might be worth looking into a supplement to improve skin condition what ever it is, as it has been going on for some time.

newrider.com