My horse has dry skin any use a cream or suppliment .

Boofle bear

Jun 17, 2015
Hiya,
I am wondering if any one can help me, my new horse that I have had for 5 months has dry skin on legs and hair has come off and it is slightly pink underneath, also he has little blobs just under the his hair on his body I can only describe them as little blobs of grease. He tends to rub against things as if the are irritating.
Can any one tell what they could be or have any dealing with this and any idears how to treat it? Cheers and many thanks in advance for your time.x

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Where abouts is the dry skin on his legs? does it look the same as the patches on his body? might be easier if you can snap some pics as skin conditions can present very differently and best course of action would depend on the cause.

Boofle bear

Jun 17, 2015
Hiya everyone I have taken some pics of areas thanks for any info!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 15

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Hm if that were on my horse then I think I would be doing a daily wash with some hibiscrub for about 5 days around the area to keep it clean and kill any nasties that are lurking there. Then just watch and see how it develops (if it does).

Boofle bear

Jun 17, 2015
Thanks will try that, he has had the problem for a while according to the girl I got him from but they we're not sure what it was, it does seem to have got worse,not sure if it is weather related as when I got him it was not as noticable as it is now?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Have you considered mites? Is it itchy?
I would try hibiscrub wash and then slather with sudocreme to see if that helps settle it down

Boofle bear

Jun 17, 2015
No never thought of mites, he does not seem really bothered by it, not that I have noticed anyway but would like to get to the bottom of it , I will have to look for some info on mites. Cheers x

Reactions: Jessey

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I personally have no experience but is it Mallenders and Sallenders?
I found this - It occurs as a focal area of increased production of keratin (called hyperkeratosis these days!) which accumulates within the coat, forming thickened, crusted skin. These lesions occur on areas of maximum skin flexion. When they occur behind the knees, they are called Mallenders, and when on the skin over the cranial surface of the hock, they are called Sallenders.
Treatment - as with many cases of hyperkeratosis one is aiming at control rather than cure. Gentle emollients which soften the debris will affect a satisfactory degree of debridement of the crusted skin.

Might be worth looking into a supplement to improve skin condition what ever it is, as it has been going on for some time.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
KellyM51 I fell off my horse and I was wondering, my left buttocks has been numb for a month I can do everything normally but sometimes hurts, stupid question Cafe 4
Rachael49 My horse has stopped letting me pick out his feet?! Confidence Club 10
N Has your horse started doing anything different? Cafe 13
Mary Poppins Has anyone organised a charity horse show? Cafe 22
N What do you buy a horse who has everything? Cafe 12
N What do you get a horse who has everything? Cafe 8
chunky monkey Insurance cover when someone has a ride on your horse Cafe 7
F Has fear influenced your horse-related goals? Confidence Club 10
Wally Horse of a lifetime....it HAS to go wrong somewhere.. Cafe 11
N Calling all horse owners! Has your horse ever suffered from laminitis? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 0
Mary Poppins What is the nicest thing someone has said about your horse? Cafe 19
horseandgoatmom When has your horse made you "SO PROUD" Cafe 9
N Whats the strangest thing your horse has spooked at? Cafe 38
Gattino NOW WITH PHOTOS! Spotty Horse Has New Saddle Yay! Cafe 27
Ale My horse has cut his knee :( - updated!! Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 16
N You know your horse has grown when- Cafe 3
N Qod, if a horse has potential in the right hands- Cafe 7
Bodshi My poor horse has lost so much weight ... Cafe 3
Skib Would you buy a horse that has never hacked solo? Training of the Horse and Rider 31
OwnedbyChanter Friend has lost her horse to grass sickness Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 26
Dark Storm lack of warm weather, combi rug has given my horse a black summer coat. Horse Care 2
Dark Storm Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.. Cafe 6
Gimp Has anyone ever been on a horse caravan holiday? Cafe 3
eventerbabe Who has a horse with EMS? Metabolic 6
volcy So what "horsey" item has never seen a horse? Cafe 23
Mary Poppins Should you ride a horse if he has lost a shoe? Hoof Care 21
Mary Poppins Who else has a naked horse? Horse Care 24
Melrose Who has their own horse and a full time job? Cafe 33
Mary Poppins Has anyone ever tried to buy back your horse? Cafe 30
F Uni has my perfect horse :( Cafe 0
laceyfreckle Has anyone used or heard of Triple Crown Horse Feeds?,... Metabolic 1
Lou77 Has anybody bought the first horse they viewed? Cafe 22
Dark Storm Has my horse shrunk? Cafe 2
S Horse has rubs at the base of his ears. Tack & Saddlery 10
bitsnpieces What has your horse taught you? Cafe 14
Mary Poppins Has anyone done the Horse Owners Certificate? Training of the Horse and Rider 7
J Leahy my horse has a drink problem! Cafe 6
Mary Poppins Has anyone kept an unrideable horse on full livery? Cafe 23
N Who Has Horse With Locking Stifle? What Do You Do? Is There Anything You Can't Do? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 28
N What Has Your Horse/Pony Broken Lately? Cafe 22
N Newforest Has A New Horse, There IS A Santa! Cafe 38
N Has Something Odd Happened To Horse Prices? Cafe 26
Mary Poppins Has anyone paid their instructor to find them a horse? Cafe 10
Mary Poppins Has anyone found a horse by placing a 'wanted' ad? Cafe 8
OwnedbyChanter My horse has been practising...magic Cafe 4
Flipo's Mum Has Your Horse Ever Laid Down While Out On A Hack? Cafe 23
U My horse has just started wood chewing help! Horse Care 4
U My horse has just started wood chewing help! Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 2
C my horse has more clothes than i do Cafe 4
TEmily Look what my silly horse has done to himself Cafe 12