My Horse and Micheal Peace.

colettybetty

Oct 5, 2003
Visit site
I decided to send my horse away to Micheal Peace for training,having read his books ( The 100% Horse and Bombproof your Horse etc ).He has an article in this months Horse magazine, and yes, it works !
She went as she was losing confidence out hacking alone and had become increasingly spooky, partly, because over the winter I'd not been able to ride much due to poor facilities and manic roads at my old yard.She's young, backed just 9 months and a muscly, strong- minded DWB X. So rather than risk a downward spiral on a lovely young mare, my plan was to send her away to someone more gifted than me :rolleyes: and move yards to somewhere with better facilities for safe riding for a youngster.
Mike listened to what I felt the problems were- spookiness and bombproofing and I left her and went home, (awful). I had phone updates and then on the first visit saw him riding her.She was already totally different, she moved differently, her trot was light and springy and open, she was stretching down and working from behind, her former stiff, wooden paces gone.
On each of my visits the progress was marked and I had lessons on her to learn how to keep her soft and how to move her feet and how to keep, her focus on me and thinking.
Now back home to a new yard, she has returned more confident and mature with a different attitude to working things out.Actually rode her in the menege (for 2nd time) with two piglets having a squealing argument in the sty beside us with an angry peacock squawking at them, who then flew into the menege, while my mare carried on working with hardly a second look !
I'm so glad I sent her,I never expected her to return as she has and of course, she's still young with a lot to learn, but at least she's had a gentle and knowledgeable start as her foundation training. We've, so far, hacked out alone in a new area, she is tense but her attitude is different in that she doesn't panic but listens to my direction to move or to stop and investigate.
So, for any cynics out there who think horses come back from trainers worse than they went, here's one who came back happier and smarter from a trainer who listened to her.

What a great story. As you may have read in another thread, I've also had great success in sending my youngster away for schooling.

You and I are both very lucky to have each found someone highly professional and sympathetic to the needs of our horses and also ourselves. Like you, I feel happy in the knowledge that I've given my youngster the best possible start in her ridden life. :)

This is the second account I have heard of where Michael has done a great job with a young horse :)

I'm so glad it worked for you and your mare. I'm thinking if I every have a youngster who needs starting etc, he may well be the professional I'd choose.

Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

Thanks you guys, I'm just so amazed at the difference in her. Widget, there are different options ranging from training at his yard, private visits and booking a clinic with a group of you at your yard. He also has a clinic coming up in May in oxfordshire. If you look on his web site www.thinkequus.com you'll get the info you want, any problems, just feel free to pm me.

Thats fantastic!

I think Michael Peace is great - we had him out for the pony I used to loan & he basically made her rideable in 2 hrs! She was already broken, but just taking the mick big stylie, so he helped us work through that & Cloudy became an almost reliable happy hack!

newrider.com