My head itches, well thats a cob for you!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Cookies and cream, didn't realise it was that long!

OK today for the first time my friend came over and we hacked off my yard, woohoo of sorts as mine wouldn't lead but Rome took a while to build, off she followed (saves walking)
She had hacked out in front and behind at camp in strange surroundings with this horse.

OK so homeward bound I decide to lead after all I ride her back normally, no not going, yes you are, no I am not, yes you are ok she does. So have canter through woods up front get to the end, not going, yes you are, no I am not, yes you are, ok she does.

Third time she stopped she switched off the ignition completely, whatever I did she gave a response, backwards, spinning, bucking, tossing, jumping, grunting they can btw! I am NOT leading, so I had to let the other horse lead. This was simply because I could tell that each time I requested that she go forwards she was becoming unmanageable. I may have persuaded her to go on the previous occasions but it was short lived.

What this ride has highlighted is its not hacking alone that's the issue, its being up front, its the lack of confidence if something or someone can take the role then yes you lead. It didn't matter if she couldn't lead that's why I had the other horse-interestingly though I have never had her not want to hack home before on our own. I will do this route tomorrow and see how she does on her own again.

Maybe some horses company or not just slot in behind? They don't actually want to lead, leading requires confidence or if I am meant to be her leader then you dam well get in front then human two legged thingy-you die first. :unsure:

If she won't lead on the way home, she isn't happy being in front at all,

I am rather surprised (as you were!) that she isnt happy to lead heading for home? Bizzare, that is usually the direction that you can manage to overcome some going forward or leading issues.Funny cobby wob she is?:redcarded:

It will be very interesting to see how she does tomorrow flying solo - well hopefully NOT flying literally! Good luck.:unsure:

Well I did say I thought I would get on with a mule. :bounce:

She is interesting as I honestly expected to lead home because I ride her home, she knows this route etc.

She lost her lightness and switched off. Hard to explain. But she wasn't listening.

Definitely interesting. Will look forward to hearing how she reacts tomorrow, on her own. She is still baby though, and doing really well. Wouldn't be any fun if it was all plain sailing would it? You are certainly getting opportunities to learn more about what makes her tick :wink:

This is very strange as you say you have this great bond with her as per your photos all but tack less to then find that she does not find that same leadership out hacking in front.

Even more so that it was on the way home where most horses are more than happy to take the lead.

You know Cob best and the best way to get around this.

I think partly she wasn't happy to lead because she was relying on the other horse, whereas without another horse present she has to rely on you. Horses will almost always rely on another horse rather than their human, whatever the circumstances.

Bear in mind though, being out with another horse is very different for her. If you went out with the other horse again tomorrow, probably she would accept taking the lead - perhaps not for long, but for a while.

Some horses are forwardaholics and some horses think backwards. I personally think having mostly had forward horses, and now having a backward thinking horse, that forward horses are MUCH easier to deal with!!

I think you should continue if poss with rides out with friend as well as alone. Think she will learn better from a horse what she is supposed to do.

@Anna-Yes she is interesting and that's all part of the learning. If she was easy I wouldn't have anything to do. She doesn't really like the other horse, not sure how relevant that would be. Happy to follow her though.

@obc and sj1p-

I am finding out things I didn't know about her. I assumed it was hacking off the yard alone, but I feel its being in front and the lack of confidence. She is ten times better than last year and I have a nice tan and thighs like a sumo from the walking. She won't longrein off the yard either but will all over the yard and homeward bound. I have been the psudeo pone.

It does make sense to look to your own species if your not confident, though that's usually me as I would be doing the leading-not that I am the same that doesn't write what I mean properly. :wink: plans are to get together with friend either her place or mine work permitting.

I am pleased with her as its the first time ever going out with a horse from my place, she has been backed a year now. She had to trot to catch up as got little legs but cantered off up front fine.

I am fascinated to be honest with what she does tomorrow. She hasn't read the manuals has she :wink:

Last edited:
I rode a TB mare once, riding school horse. She hated leading apparently, and all toys would get thrown out of the pram with that one.
Shadow leads better than being behind, but tends to leave other riders behind....

No suggestion is useless Flipo. I know what you mean that sometimes pushing from behind is dominance over, I am behind when I drive her to lunge, longrein. Generally leading her she will try and slot in behind as oppose to beside. Her general demenour is reserved and quiet and she hides behind a horse or person.

I also wonder if living with mum for two and half years and just following doing and going everywhere with mum means she just hasn't had chance to stand on her own hooves. I come along and say go in front then and its omg! a:)

It was sad that someone commented that they wouldn't put up with that and wouldn't given her a good hiding. Poor cobby, because she simply lacks confidence and I wouldn't change this part of our development because I wouldn't be learning anything.

Its making me look at myself and what holes I have, and the fact she is still a green baby and you can't have it all on a plate in one sitting.

It could be worse she could have a cart behind her, and they do say that the most important thing they should learn is halt. I have halt. :biggrin:

Rain and fog stopped play for two days, so only just hacked out.

Took a video, this is on our own.

http://db.tt/UNh7ZwnQ

Eta those into genetics and nature verses nature, she takes after her mum so much its like I have the clone. Mum doesn't hack up front and mum doesn't hack alone but she will drive singles. Mine didn't know about that but she also has mums determined attitude when she declines something. It can make her hard to read, confidence issues over Cobby issues. :)

Last edited:
newrider.com