My hand is like a roman chariot

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
according to the surgeon I saw yesterday!

He used this analogy to explain why I was having problems with an uninjured finger as well as the dislocated one. It's like the 4 horses abreast in a roman chariot: if one is not keeping pace or doing its fair share of the work, it makes it harder for the others. He also told me about bearing rein ligaments, so the consultation had quite an equestrian theme. I was impressed with the surgeon. He explained things well; didn't rush me; and apologised for all the confusion and lack of communication leading up to the appointment.

The upshot is that I shall have to have an operation on the dislocated finger. It will be difficult to separate the bones now, and I may have to have the whole joint removed. I may end up with a permanently tucked in finger, but that at least will be better than the permanently sticking out one I have now. It will be a long process though, involving 4-6 weeks of complete immobility of my right hand after the op, and care for some time after that.

So it looks as if Grace and the Muppets have got another summer without being driven. Trying to be positive, this means that we have plenty of time to sort out Harvey's separation anxiety and get my workroom straight so I can finish the alterations to the pairs harness for the Muppets. Also, having made this trip on my own, I'm not so worried about going next time. But I have to admit that I am feeling a bit down in the dumps with it all.

Well done for getting through it, I seem to remember you were quite worried about having to go on the trip on your own.
Sending you lots of positive healing thoughts and vibes. When is it scheduled for then? Sure it will all be okay. I think sometimes the dreading stuff is worse than actually having it done.

newrider.com