My first sit on Vega

Rips

May 23, 2004
Eire
Few 'firsts' actually, first, walk, trot and canter.

Hard to believe its been 10weeks since I brought her in
P1010444.jpg

She still seems so 'babyish' to me, she is 4.5 next month.

Jesus, is she 4.5! I still think of her as a floofy baby. Can't believe she's backed and away!

What are you plans for her over the coming months? What's she like to ride so far?

Jesus, is she 4.5! I still think of her as a floofy baby. Can't believe she's backed and away!

What are you plans for her over the coming months? What's she like to ride so far?

She has been perfect, couldn't have asked for better.
Loose plans are, get her home in the coming weeks - she's finished there but its a lovely yard and I'm happy for her to stay on while I get stuff sorted, like tack. They are going to keep her ticking until then.

I don't know exactly when I will get her home due to other commitments, but I'm hoping I can get her home and just do a few day trips, travelling to friends yards and hacking out, nothing hectic, get her enjoying herself, the work she's done was introduced gradually, but its still a big change from living in a field for 4years, so she needs to know its not all that tough. Part of what I love about Mocha is that she loves to work, so we'll concentrate on fun rather then finesse!

She'll go out for a break in November, and I'll bring her back in late january, or early february.

Depending on how she is then, we might see about a bit of hunting, but that is the height of the plans, otherwise I can see lots of hacking, trips with friends, trec and a little bit of unaffliated lowlevel jumping.

Here's a few more pics...

Got a leg up and there was no reaction at all. Not delighted, but no badness in her.
P1010408.jpg

P1010409.jpg

Yay it won't kill me! Its bored!
P1010410.jpg

Legs still coming out the one hole :eek:
P1010416.jpg

We weren't altogether keen on the whip waving! Just a little sidestep and a cross face!
P1010418.jpg

P1010401.jpg

P1010400.jpg

P1010393.jpg

P1010390.jpg

Her walk feels alot like Mocha's but thats about where it stops!
P1010388.jpg

Rode her in walk and trot in the arena, little wobbly, didn't feel at all unsafe or nervous about her ... but sort of unsettled because she was being SO good, surely she is going to lambast me into the arena fence at any minute... surely?
She's as green as grass, but as I said, has taken to it well, and just needs some mileage now.

Then we went for a little hack around the gallops, they've had her down there once as its been too wet. We rode halfway around, mostly walk, a little trot. There were some quite large puddles, or lakes rather... stretched across some of the track, she wanted to veer onto the grass, but I didn't let her, and she walked in then no hesitation, bit stompy, splashed herself in the face and threw her head up once and then settled but the next puddles were fine.

We got onto a bit of dry track and I took her out in front to ask for a canter, took a little bit of getting together but once she got her stride ... very big canter! Very wobbly also! The she spied the T-pees, and we were wobbling in a veer, but she lept cantering past them... that'd be a bit like Mocha too! Had a little canter behind our buddy horse on the way back, certainly a little keener, but kept behind.

Friend took these pics on our way back to the yard (where I had a little canter for the camera ;) )
P1010439.jpg

P1010438.jpg

P1010440.jpg

P1010448.jpg

Now she just needs to fill out so she looks like this from any angle... and not disappear when she turns sideways ;)
P1010444.jpg

P1010441.jpg

P1010452.jpg

Last edited:
Girl who was riding the black horse then rode her so I could see her, light was a bit better as the sun wasn't glaring, my camera skills were not, too busy watching!

They haven't touched her mouth yet, just want her going forward for now.
P1010329.jpg

P1010336.jpg

P1010343.jpg

P1010370.jpg

P1010367.jpg

P1010362.jpg

My attempts at trying to photograph and watch cantering at the same time...
P1010355.jpg

P1010357.jpg

What lovely pictures and very brave of you hacking on your first trip on a freshly backed horse but what a little star and very pretty.

Wanted to try a little cantering, and in straight lines its always easier!
I have a sore bum from an injection reaction so this was tame by my standards. Used to backing horses and hacking them straight out (no arena work) as they are less likely to buck you off on the road!

I fell off my horse the week before out XC and ended up on a spinal board in A&E, so as long as it doesn't involve doing anymore XC for awhile, anything goes!

She got a kick to the shoulder out in the field not long after I posted this, and she had a break while the swelling went down/cut healed. She seems fine, no lasting damage, and I've been away since. Should have an update this week, think my sub is about to run out though and not sure about renewing it.

First view from the ears clip!

So she the guts of a 4 week break, just one ride or so after she recovered from her injury and then I asked for her to be left alone so I could get a feel of what she'd be like fresh from the field.

Perfectly calm was the answer.

There was no-one on the yard today, so I used my own tack... and tacked up and off we went. We had a little lunge before I got up, but with no lunge whip I could barely get her out of walk!
VegaOctober.jpg

Little video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ON7ij67ozK8

So she's coming home at the weekend.

I just adore her colour, she looks so chilled out and accepting. Bless her! Well done with her Rips you must be really chuffed!

Love the little doggy trying to keep up !!

newrider.com