My first show is this saturday, i REALLY REALLY need some help!!!!

Nikita88

Jul 13, 2004
USA *Wisconsin*
www.freewebs.com
Okay...so here is my problem

My horse Nikita is a 9 yr old arab/t'bred cross, 15.0hh. she is an awesome horse!! she LOVES LOVES jumping but this show im doing on saturday is my first one (this wont be nikitas) anyway,since its my first one im only doing 1'6 and 2'0 so they are not big. She has been trained to trot/canter up to a jump (whatever i tell her) and then do the jump and when she lands she will go into a canter. By the time i get her to the trot we will be at the next jump (her transitions are not the best...were working on it).

so i guess my questions are Will they take off points if we canter at a trotting level class? they probably will so is there a way to work on that with her? (i have 3 days) i know i shoulda asked sooner, but i just found this site yesterday. if you have ANY ideas i can try, even if your not sure it will work but it MIGHT work, tell me....im desprate for ideas. i will be going up wed, thursday and friday morning (those are my lesson days, i have 3 lessons a week). PLEASE help!!!

Here is a picture of her! Does she look like a winner to you? lol

Attachments

• untitled5.jpg
    untitled5.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 196
I can't see you being marked down for canter unless US rules are different to UK. Can you keep the canter controlled? If so and she will happily jump from that, concentrate on keeping fairly short but energetic strides - lots of leg but don't let her get too fast so plenty of half halts. You're better off doing that and keeping a good rhythm than trying to pull her back to trot and unsettling everything. If you do get marked down for it, so what? You understand the issue, and longer term you can work on lots of transitions on their own, using poles, then using jumps. A few days before the show is not the time for emergency schooling and trying out new things, so stick with what you're both comfortable with and do your best. Judge yourself against that this time, then work on the transitions for next time. And enjoy yourself :D

Thanks a bunch! i really dont know the US rules either lol but i know in the 2'0 class we can canter if we want...im not sure about the 1'6 class. I have tons more shows this summer, and we been working on transitions for 2 weeks now, but Nikita has the need for speed! lol(shes a t'bred and is very fast). I had a jumping lesson this morning and she did awesome today....she had a couple canter steps after the jump, but then i finally got her into the trot before the jumps....hopefully she is as good as she was today at the show. I will probably do what you said and just canter it...its a good idea! i really dont need a blue ribbon or w/e, i know my horse can do it and is the best out there!!!

This is really a question that you'll need to ask of your instructor, or someone else who knows the local rules. I've never heard of a class that required riders to stay in trot before and after jumps. I have heard of beginner classes that "allow" trotting between jumps, but I've never heard of any that require it. That said, there are no national standards for this sort of competition, so it's best to ask someone who is familiar with this class at this particular show.

Barring information to the contrary, if I were you, I would let the horse canter.

On my local circuit (southwestern Ohio), we have three "untraditional" classes:

Groundpoles: this is supposed to be for beginning riders ONLY. You trot around over 8 groundpoles, going into 2pt over each one. Lots of tiny kids right off leadline go in here, VERY cute!

WT X's: this sounds like what you are entering as well. 8 crossrails (18" in height) to be jumped at a trot ONLY (some cantering, like for a stride or two after the jump, is mostly OK; excessive cantering to be penalized).

Canter X's: same as WT X's, but to be shown at a canter ONLY -- ANY trotting to be penalized!!!

Although guru's like George Morris say that riders should not be showing over fences until they are confident with and can show at 2'3" and up, I personally think it's a GREAT idea to have classes like those I've mentioned above. It gives little kids coming from leadline and chance to show with the Big Kids (like me, hee hee!) and gradually move up to Novice and Children's hunter classes where they jump 2'3" and 2'6". Also, lots of people who are reschooling or training horses are able to start their mounts' show experiences easily. :)

Good luck, and have TONS of fun!!! :D:D:D

Thanks a bunch! I talked to the person hosting the show thats at her place, my instructor knows her...she said it would be fine if i cantered it and i wouldnt be penelized just cause its a small show and doesnt really count for anything, its just for the learning expierence. The last show i went to, that i watched...there were a bunch of little kids running around like you said, one little girl got lost, it was sooooo cute. This other girl i ride with is 6 years old...she does trotting, cantering, jumping...things 6 years old usually dont do by themselves! lol i was scared to do that stuff when i was like 11...im 16 now and she is where i was when i was like 14!

I don't know

I would quess that it would REALLY depend on the type of show. 4-H shows are genrally really light with the rules.

I want to know.... Why would anyone penalize you for doing better that they expect? O well it's not my manor.

newrider.com