My first ripped rug ... help!!

LizH

Oct 20, 2005
Shropshire
Bill has managed to rip a huge hole in the front of his lightweight turnout rug...and lose one of the metal clips:eek: . Anything I need to know or tips for doing a good repair job? Someone mentioned dental floss...was this serious:rolleyes: Thankyou in anticipation of helpful NR advice:D

I think you can buy rug "spares" from Robinsons, although if he has really mashed up the front, the only thing I can think of is to buy one of those chest-expander pieces and see if you can cut it and adapt it and stitch it in. A sewing machine should be strong enough if you use nylon thread then you can spray the stitches with rug-proofing or I'm told a wax candle rubbed over repairs is a quick fix too.

Welcome to the wonderful (and expensive) world of rug wrecking! Firstly, does the rug still function as a rug, despite the rip? If so, perhaps you can leave it. If not, I'd stitch/patch the flap of ripped rug to the strongest available bit of remaining rug (usually a bit of binding somewhere). Leatherwork needles are good to use because they can get through the toughest binding. I you want to waterproof the repair you can use a tent repair kit. If you need a replacement clip, you can often buy one from a cobbler or nick something off an old leadrope. If you ever have a rug that's ripped beyond repair, keep it as patch material & for spare clips, buckles etc. My old horse used to destroy rugs on a regular basis, but only certain ones that I think he found uncomfortable. There were certain makes that he would always trash. Eventually I figured out the sort of rug shape & weight he liked and things improved. Perhaps each dead rug should be treated as a learning experience?!

Thankyou , I'm sort of hoping this was an unfortunate accident that will never happen again:rolleyes: but I have a strange feeling this may not be the case...so, when I put on his brand new Masta extra deep Check Tech warm turnout rug it has a life expectancy of about 3 weeks then?:eek: :eek: :eek: Out with the needle and thread , good job I love him so much:D

Masta rugs were the ones he objected to the most strongly, they are good quality & affordable but in the end I gave up. One rug lasted less than 24 hours and ended up in separate pieces! It had some useful buckles & stuff though. It might be worth making sure your rug doesn't get too tight on your horse's wither/shoulder when he grazes - I think this was a problem for my old boy, and I have the same issue with my current horse. There are a couple of long-backed cobbier types at my yard who get on very well with Mastas but the ones I have bought don't seem to suit high withered, big shouldered horses so well.

Does your local tack shop do rug repair? Peeps on my yard do that and I don't think it's too expensive.. maybe I'll be finding that out for myself at some point:rolleyes:

Somehow, :rolleyes: , Adam broke one of the fasteners on his Rhino. I read on the website that their metalware was guaranteed for life. I emailed them and then sent me 3 by return post. Excellent service.:D

When Captain wrecks his rugs he is usually telling me it is too warm for that weight. I just stitch up minor rips with normal cotton. Never had a problem or leak with any repairs yet. Never chuck away any straps or buckles as they will usually come in handy for the next rug repair.

Just dragged this thread up again to say that I mended his rug beautifully,using fishing line and teeny stitches, took me ages... it was a masterpiece! So much so that when , 2 days later , he ripped another huge hole on the same side :eek: the mend held and the rug ripped :rolleyes: He looks more like Compo every day.
Also , apparently dental floss is good for mending rugs , I didn't dream it.

I empathise, I was mending my first rug of the year on Saturday night with a glass or 2 of Cava to assist me, funnily enough it doesn't look very neat or tidy - in fact maybe I have invented a new design, Frankenstein's rug! It's already started ripping again, I have a feeling that I will be helping to keep Amigo in business this winter...

newrider.com