My first drive !

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I've just come back from my first drive with wonderful wonderful horse since he has come home.

This is the first time he has gone out from his yard and the first time I have driven him without my instructor, a friend who drives came with me as groom.

We decided not to go to the forest as it's crab fly season and I didn't want any hassle as my horse does hate these, so we went around the roads and the route on the roads we we went down was around near my house and we came out at the bottom end of the high street which is the main road in and out of the town, we passed skips filled with rubble, JCB's, builders on ladders, people mowing their lawn, hedge cutting, 2 double decker buses (one which passed us as we stood waiting at busy junction) and he didn't bat an eye lid.

I was very glad to have an experienced groom with me as at every busy junction she hopped off and stopped traffic for us to come out safely, she did all the indicating on turns and thanked all the cars that were behind us waiting etc.

This is the first time I've been able to enjoy my horse not a sharer or loaner and it's fantastic.

Going for a drive like we have has made me realise how good a job the trainers have done with him and I'm so pleased with how he is doing.

He thoroughly enjoyed it as well :D

I didn't take any out as I had him harnessed up and ready to go for when my friend got there all we had to do was put him to and off we went. I do have a pic of him modelling his vis before the bridle went on but he looks a tad unimpressed :D

There seem to be a few of us now on here who are taking up / getting interested in driving this year :D Please do share when you do yours !

Oh nice pics.

Was just contemplating a visit to the national carriage driving champs. Just read something that says free for spectators. Never been to anything like that, so if it is free for all 3 days, it could be fab. I'll never be that good but I can dream.

Reactions: Ruskii
Interested in that ! I've just had a google and found something in Gloucestershire on the 18-20 is that the one ?

I'd like to go to that ! I've just discovered a social driving group for heavy horses/cobs in my area that do regular marathon drives and some thing called 'Specials' which sounds like a timed drive through the various parts of the forest, one is on next weekend so I'm off to have a look.

newrider.com