My first BHS Trec experience!!!

HorseHelen

Sep 17, 2006
at the farm, near the zoo
It all began very early at 6.30 a.m. on a sunny sunday morning - just about managed to haul myself out of bed in time (even though we got an extra hour cos of the clocks!) Collected the horse box from the hire company, was more nervous about collecting the box that i was about the actual riding - never driven anything that big before but it turned out fine & I soon got the hang of it

Then drove to the yard & loaded up the horses, both were fab & loaded first time. I took my mare Boo and my friend took her 5yr old Zak) & off to Brackenhurst Equestrian college we went!

Here are some piccies ....

DSC02189.jpg

Where are we going mum?

DSC02193.jpg

Firstly, had to do the control of paces section - canter around the outside track as slowly as possible & walk back as fast as you can. Didnt do it too badly as didnt break pace (you get no points if you do)

Then onto the series of 10 obstacles!

(Sorry, some of the pics are not the best quality!)

1. Jump - boo loves jumping and popped it no probs

DSC02195.jpg

2. Narrow corridor of poles to go through - unfortunately didnt realise how narrow it was & cos it was straight after the jump we picked up too much speed and went outside the poles :mad:

DSC02196.jpg

3. S bend - didnt manage to do it successfully, more practice at turn on the forehand needed i think!

4. Ahh the tricky one! Leave your horse in a circle, step back outside the circle and they have to stay for 10 seconds! Needless to say didnt manage it, more groundwork needed i think. However, Zak was an angel & he stood still perfectly, bless him

5. Lead over a blue water tray. At this point boo has planted her feet & started going backwards so although i did try to persuade her we had to leave that one. Although am going to practice leading over the blue water tray at our yard to de-sensitise her! Any tips would be much appreciated?

6. Mount in a small circle without moving. Knew this would be difficult as she doesnt stand even at the mounting block. Again if anyone has any tips that would be fab cos its a really bad habit she has developed

7. Walk across wooden footbridge. No probs, went straight on it and off the other side

DSC02198.jpg

8. Rein back through a corridor of poles. Didnt attempt this as have never done rein back with her. Think i need to teach it her on the ground first with voice commands

9. Bending poles either at trot or canter. Opted for the safe option and trotted!

DSC02199.jpg

10. Another jump - this time with teddys having a picnic underneath! But no probs and did it 1st time

Ready to go home (with her new velvet travel rug on!) ....

DSC02207-1.jpg

Got placed 9th out of 22th so it was a good start to our bhs trec career! Very proud of her :)

Definitely recommend it, we had a great day and cant wait to do a full event in the summer - that would include the 12km hack as well as the control of paces & obstacles (ptv). Cant wait!

PS Thanks to dee (and cooper) for their advice in my previous thread re our preparation :)

clap.gif

Yeah well done!

Another treccie in our midst!

OMG - the orienteering was our worst nightmare - still hasn't put us off and providing our boy is up to it we plan to go for it next year.

9th is fantastic - super!

Thats looks great fun!

Congrats on your placing.

Would love to have a go at this but not sure where its held in our area

Horsehelen - well done on coming 9th! yay
I'm interested in doing le trec too, however my share horse is currently quite green so i've got a lot of schooling to do before then.
The pictures are great, seems like its an assort-course on horseback.

How high would you say the jumps are?, they don't look too bad in the photo, however, I can only jump up to about 2ft, so that would put me off.

Could you get some blue tarpaulin and secure with jump poles each side to prepare for walking through the blue water tray?. Or do you think that might not work?
What was the stadard of the other competitors like? I love the piccie of boo in her velvet rug, very smart :D

Whatanejit - thanx :)

Just wondering why the orienteering was a nightmare?! Am not very good at map reading tbh but will do it as a pair hopefully so if we get lost im not on my own. But does everyone leave at different times and how fast is it? Think my horse might get fizzed up if loads of people are galloping past!

Have done some map reading on horseback before - theres a holiday trekking centre in mid wales (freerein) where you take the horses out hacking between b&b's with (guided) or without an instructor (unguided) over the mountains. They give you maps and route plans to follow, its pricey but a fab way to spend the wkend!

Nookster - have a look on the bhs website to see if theres something local to you, look at the events / competition pages. I found the event i went to through a local trec group but im sure there will be something in your area at some time

Madferret - i wouldnt worry too much if your horse is green cos it will be a good experience for them. Although mine is 8 yrs she is fairly green also as she didnt do too much before i got her. And my friend took hers and he's only a baby at 5 yrs - he was a bit spooky when he 1st went into the arena but he coped and did a lot of the obstacles really well. In fact he did all the ones that me and boo didnt manage to do. But i think trec is also aimed at young / inexperienced horses esp if you go to one of the indoor events like i did

As for the jumps i wouldnt be put off, they are only a maximum of 2 ft. The ones we did were no bigger than 1 ft. But if you dont want to do one particular obstacle then you dont have to, you just tell the judge your not attempting it. For example i didnt do the rein back cos she wouldnt have known what i was asking her to do

I think i will have to get out some blue tarpaulin or the blue tray and just practice, once shes done it once im sure it wont be such an issue. Its the standing still thats more of a problem. Think i might get her to stand with her on the lunge line initially and see how it goes. But tbh i knew she wouldnt do it cos when we went xc schooling last time i fell off and she galloped back to the start! :)

Thanks for your replys peeps. I contacted teh White Horse trec about about 2 weeks ago about rides, but they have not been in touch. Will try again. Have also recently contacted the Mercia group, hope hear from them! If anyone is a member, bug em about it! lol.

No-Angel - sad to hear your didn't go too well. :eek: Hope it has not put you off completely.

Lx

newrider.com