My first 3 weeks with Ben

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I can't believe that I have almost had Ben for 3 weeks. I have experienced every single emotion possible within that time and at the end of it I think that I am the happiest person alive. He is my absolute perfect horse. I love him so much and can't believe that I have been so lucky to find a horse who matches me completely.

We had a rocky start with him being in isolation for 10 long days with no turnout at all. During that time we had to deal with having his gutteral pouch flushed and got his teeth and vacinations done. He was finally declared strangles free and was able to move into the main stable block where he was so much happier straight away.

He now lives out at night and comes in for about 6 hours during the day where he can eat some hay and have some time away from the elements. He goes out in a herd of about 7 horses but only 4 of them stay out overnight. He has been accepted into the herd (although this took a few days) and has become friendly with one horse in particular called Henry. He is a very vocal horse and he likes to call out to his friends.

In the stable he is very polite and loves to be brushed. I love to groom and he always looks like he is ready to go to a show - even when I just put him out in the field. His bottom lip drops and his body totally relaxes. I love the fact that he enjoys being groomed so much - it makes me feel like I am bonding with him even more.

I have ridden him most days and been for a couple of hacks. He is nosy and likes to look at things, but he hasn't done a single spook, buck or given me any cause for concern. In his old home he did lots of road hacking, but here I have taken him in woodlands, over open fields, ridden him under floodlights in the school and he has taken everything in his stride.

We have done most of our ridden work in the school under floodlights and I have discovered that if I press the right buttons he is a total schoolmaster (at the grand old age of 7) and works in a lovely soft outline. He can do amazing lateral work and has a very willing attitude. The yard has many people who compete in high level dressage and they have said that he has naturally good paces and that we could do well in competitons. They may just be saying nice things, but its nice to hear anyway.

We have so much to work on but in a very positive way. He loses attention easily so when working in the school I have to make it interesting for him. I am going to try and have more of a focus for our work and make sure I plan our sessions. The weekends are going to be spend hacking/exploring the farm and generally riding anywhere outside of the school. I'm also wanting to start to jump him. I have a very experienced friend who has offered to help me with my jumping so hopefully one evening she will come down and we will get started.

All in all, my horse owning experience is better than I could ever have wished for. I'm exhausted and have to be very organised to make sure that my family and kids are well taken care of as well, but it's well worth it. The only downside is the expense of the yard. He is on full livery and it costs a fortune, but for the time being we will stay put and I'm sure that I will make ends meet. As my kids get older I will be able to go to at least assisted DIY, but for the time being my situation is perfect and I'm the happiest girl alive.

Sorry for the long post - I just wanted to share my happy vibes and give my poor husbands ears a rest!

What a lovley happy thread, i smiled all the way through that! :biggrin:

Glad your happy MP and have found what you've been looking for, he sounds fantastic! :dance:

*Cheers* to a great future for you both! x :happy:

Very nice to read about about - you can tell you were smiling as you were typing that :biggrin:

It's amazing isn't it, like the mist perfect but nerve wracking dream. I don't blame you for wanting to remain on full livery atm.

So very glad it is going well for you Mary P. You surely deserve him.
However do not kid yourself that you will have have more time to spare as your children get older.

Unusually I disagree with you skib.

I have more time and my time is also a bit more flexible. My little girl has play days with friends and sleepovers. She does more clubs and likes to sleepover at her grandparents.

I was never keen for that in her younger years but given it's her choice and there's no chance of me feeling guilty in somehow projecting her quality time with others as being a secret desire of mine to 'get rid' for a few hours I feel much mire relaxed about the time I can spend with the ponies.

Oh that's fantastic, MP - I'm so happy for you. That really was fate stepping in there for you, wasn't it? How is your son now?

And I'm surprised no-one else has said it in this fred...

worthless.gif

What a lovely post, MP! Ben sounds like a real gem.

I'm on full livery as well, so can relate to the cost part, but it's the only way I'd be able to have a horse (job, not children) and I'm willing to make it work.

Think we need to see some photos ... hint, hint.....

So pleased for you MP :biggrin: As long as you can afford it, full livery will give you more time to enjoy with Ben, less time away from your family, and if you have an emergency you won't have to stress about getting to the yard, so I'd stick with it :)

And yes, we need more pics!

This is lovely to read and really reassures me there can be light at the end of the horse searching tunnel. Well done.
:dance:

newrider.com