my boys changed!!

spannie

Jan 11, 2009
Ive been riding my boy for almost 2 years now and last week i started to have problems...out on a hack with 2 others we started to trot,my boy picked up speed to catch up ignoring my command to slow down,head right up trotting straight past at which felt like 50mph..hence now im schooling him with a martingale,others have ridden him since as well as me and said hes fighting them and point blank refuses to give in,and that he might be hard to stop whilst out therefore dangerous,any advice any1 please??:confused:

sure, i will mention a trick I learned when horse gets to fast, is to back up to the area where the "fight or disobedience" started.

Another thing I wanted to mention is if horse is adamant to go faster and be rude, a martingale will not help in the long run. Just like spurs and a harsher bit a horse can grow desensitized to it.

Lots of Horses at the back of a ride fear being 'left behind' so will rush
and not listen to keep up with the Horses in Front.

I certainly am 'no expert' but if I was in this position I would try a few things.

1. when hacking out with a few others, change the positions, i.e. ride him at the Front, then in the middle, then at the back, then in the middle etc. so that he is not always trying to play 'catch up'.

2. If its relatively new behaviour for him do all the usual checks, especially
teeth as it sounds as though he is trying to evade contact and there could be a genuine reason, so teeth, tack etc.

3. School him in areas that allow out on the hack, if you feel he is
getting 'strong' and space allows put in a few circles to get him listening
again.

IF all above fails then start looking at different tack/bits, but not until
the above has been checked out. IF this is 'totally' out of character then
I would say there is an underlying problem. Hope you get it sorted.:)

Thanks for that advice,i have been changing the position on hacks making him go first,middle and last,and changed his saddle,i think i need to see how we get on with the schooling and hope it all helps,he seems to be more spooky too,im told it could be as simple as the grass coming through to the mares in season???

Thanks for that advice,i have been changing the position on hacks making him go first,middle and last,and changed his saddle,i think i need to see how we get on with the schooling and hope it all helps,he seems to be more spooky too,im told it could be as simple as the grass coming through to the mares in season???

Discomfort/pain tends to make a horse more spooky. When his head comes up does he really hollow through his back at the same time? Or is it more of an "excited head up"?

how is the horse acting when pulling to get in front? Does he lean on your hands and refuse to pull up or stick his head up in the air going above the bit refusing to stop? If his head is going up then the martingale fitted correctly will stop him getting his head up above the point of control but if he leans on your hands it will be of no help at all.
If he has pain in his mouth or the saddle is pinching it will cause him to hollow and raise his head and run to avoid the discomfort caused by either the bit catching him where he is sore or to try to get away from the pinching of the saddle.Spring grass is definitely coming through really well now and if you have alot of good grass then I suggest that if you haven't already done so you need to cut back the hard feed your horse is getting so that he is not getting too much energy.

Thank you Summercandy for your advice,he lifted his head high,and trotted much faster to catch up with the others, so ive started to ride him in a martingale in the school and hes defo listening abit more now,im going to ride him out tomorrow and see how he goes,ive only just recently cut his food right down,so with a combination of time and work hopefully we will get there!!

If it's a new problem for him & you can't see any reason, I'd suspect chances are he's reacting to pain. Having his head up in the sky signifies this is a reaction rather than a response - to fear or pain. For that, as well as other reasons, I don't advise you use a martingale to just force him to keep his head down.

First thing I'd check is the saddle - they are a general problem & even if it was a near perfect fit last year, horses & saddle both change over time & need checking at least every 6 months. It could also be too narrow in the gullet, sitting too far forward or such and anatomical padding, a crupper, loosened girth, whatever could make the difference.

I too would also get a dentist to check out his teeth, and the bit, and evaluate how he feels about & responds to the bit, regardless of whether his teeth are OK. I'd evaluate his feet for balance & sensitivity too, and get his back checked out.

I would put him through his paces on the ground too, to try to discover whether the problem is indeed being ridden. Ponying him out on the trail is one way of putting him in the same situation as you've had most problems with, without a rider.

Thanks for that,i rode my boy 3 days ago out with the other girls and when we got to the park they trotted whilst i tested him and held him back,which was fine,then i let him go and off he went full speed,head up to catch up with the others,im now so para of his head because of 1 comment, i considered swapping him! for 2 nights i havent slept because i said yes id swap him now i cant or dont want to do it,so ive now got a horse whos knocked my confidence and a friend whos really cheesed off with me!!! help!! i cant find a freelance instructor and have no transport,im told he wants more than what im giving him could this be true??

Spannie, it's challenging owning riding & training your own horse. Even when most of the time things are great, it's almost inevitable that occasionally things will be difficult. So don't get yourself down about it - look on it as a challenge that we all have to face at some time, that will make you a better horseperson.

As for your horse knocking your confidence, I think this is largely inevitable at some points too, so exchanging your horse, especially if he's been so great for 2 years, is likely not going to let you off that either. I would suggest you go back to wherever you do feel confident & happy with him, so you can both rebuild that confidence in eachother, then progress slowly from there, at your own paces. Don't rush too far or for too long out of your or his comfort zones. This may mean being a bit boring & staying at home, not going out with your mates on the trail for the time being or such. Might mean being very choosey to only ride with calm horses & friends who agree to go your pace, whatever that may be on the day...

I forgot to mention, on saddle fit, Balance International is a mob that has a great website with heaps of info.

That you're operating without any good help makes it more tricky, as you may not appreciate if you're doing something wrong, or doing too much or not enough. Do you have any friends or associates that are great with their horses that you could ask? Even if they're not trainers, if they could watch you ride & tell you what they think may help.

If you are in an area that doesn't tend to have much in the way of instructors, clinics, etc & no transport, I'd be looking for DVDs & such for 'home study' and also trying to save up & get to clinics, workshops etc even if it's without your horse. Of course you'll get more specific help with him present, but if you can't take him, you'll still get a lot from a good clinician being a fence sitter.

Cheer up & know that if you want to, you'll work this out. It might take time, so let yourself off the hook & don't pressure yourself over it. ....I know, I know, that's the most difficult part IMO & I'm really good at stressing over my horses too....

Thank you so much wundahoss,I guess thats half the reason i said no to the swap,i dont want to throw the towel in with him cos i know its mainly me! you are right there is no hurry,im going to take your advice and stop worrying so much and try and find an instructor.you have cheered me up thanx

Last edited:
newrider.com