My boy goes tomorrow.....very sad

SarahC

Jul 13, 2004
East Midlands
Visit site
So, after the heart wrenching decision to sell and the nightmare negotiations, my boy is going to his new home tomorrow.

And I have to say, this is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I got to the stables last night and spent an hour crying into his mane. In fact me and a couple of other girls at the yard were all in floods of tears...and we're all mature adult women! Its sort of hit home and I really feel like I've betrayed him and let him down (I know thats the wrong way to feel). :(

The only thing thats keeping me sort of sane is the thought that he's going on to lead a happy life, doing what he loves best (hopefully!) with someone who's really going to ride him.

I'm going to travel down with him and the new owner is going to show me around the stables etc...she assures me its lovely and quiet with a few nice friends for him.

I am going to be on the lookout for another, especially after the YO told me last night that she'll only keep my stable on for 6 weeks....eek!! But I'm not going to let that pressure me.

Wish us both luck!

S

leaving an animal you love is so so hard, but as you say he is going somewhere where he will be happy. Get lots of photos and updates from the new owners, I am always updating the last owners of my horse and they have even come to see him twice.

Take a deep breath and think it's not totally goodbye it more like when your children finally leave home they aren't going far and you can keep an eye on them but you have to let them go.

All the best and do have a good cry but then do think he's going to love it in his new home.

We will be thinking of you.

Awwww hon, let yourself have a good cry! (adult woman my bum - I would be crying too....) I think you need to when you are saying goodbye.

It's a bit like the end of a relationship isn't it? :( You know that you are doing the right thing for both of you, but it doesn't stop it from hurting.

I ride a horse that belongs to someone near London, who cannot afford to keep her herself (although she visits a couple of times a year). Every time I ride, I give her withers a rub from her "mum" - so I can vouch there are daft people out there who do that!

theres no shame in crying. as wobblydeb said, its like the end of a relationship. he will always remember you (the one and only time i saw my loan pony after he was taken from me without my knowing he came belting across the field bellowing at me) and if possible try to stay in touch, see how he's doing. good luck with the horse search, keep me posted on how its going! :)

A few months ago I nearly gave my horse away. The days that his prospective new owner spent with him were very sad.
It was like a bereavement.

It's pointless to hold back our feelings. However, there are times in life when the right decision, no matter how painful, is for the best.

I know exactly how you must be feeling right now as our Holly went to her new home last weekend. You know you are doing the right thing though, and once you have seen his new home for yourself I'm sure that will help.

Thinking of you...

It is a really horrible thing to have to do, but you have to keep reminding yourself it is the best thing for him and you, thats how I got myself through.
Best of luck tomorrow and in future horse hunting.

hi sarahC, will be thinking of you tomorrow. at least you know where he is going & that you are doing the right thing for both of you. I may be selling my pony so i have been following your thread with lots of empathy. Take care rrx

Aaah...thank you so much for all the kind words.

Had a last ride tonight...I know I'm doing the right thing, he had a right wobbly with me and I pooped myself!!

Anyway, Angiebabe, he's going about 60 miles away from me, but the new owner has promised she will ring often and send pics and at least I am seeing his new home tomorrow.

Rockyrobin - good luck with whatever you decide to do with your pony, its so hard.

Thanks again to everyone.

S

ps. have found a possible already that a friend pointed in my direction, will post the link to the ad in a separate thread to see what you guys think!

pps. i know it seems a bit heartless looking at horses already, but my friend insisted I look at this boy....in fact, she came round to my house and switched my pc on to make sure I did!

Life goes on...

Hope tommorow goes smoothly for you and without too much upset for all those concerned:)

Of course you will be upset tomorrow. Lets face it all the good times and bad times you have been through with your boy have helped you to bond with him. In a few months time when you find your perfect horse you will realise what didn't go well and why with your boy. Everyone at my livery yard thought my first horse was a nutcase. If only they could see her now. She is happy settled. Never paddies and even has novices ride her. It wasn't until I got Captain I realised a big part of my first horse experience was lack of knowledge, trust, bond and love. I didn't really click with her and could never bring myself to admit I loved her. I didn't.:(

Now I am pooring my troubles out to my Captain. If I had to make a choice between him and my hubby. My hubby knows he would lose.;)

Think positive thoughts tomorrow. I wish you luck in finding your perfect soul mate. ;)

newrider.com