My best and worst day

Quarterbell

Jul 5, 2003
California
Visit site
Best Day: I reached a milestone with my horse today and rode her on the trail alone for 1 and 1/2 hours. I can't believe it took me over a year to be able to do that. I live in a big city and the trail in a my city isn't so nice. It's been one scary thing to me.

There's always construction going on, so theres always trucks and bulldozers and sometimes even cranes. There's dogs on chains lunging at us and children running towards us. There's huge freeways and tunnels and streets to pass under. Anyway I always go out with someone or I only ride about 10 minutes on the trail before turning back. Today I took her out alone and made her move forward past all the scary stuff. She did so well.

Worst day: Later in the day I came back to the stable to have a lesson on her and I felt I was on a totally different horse. I was trying to learn how to open and shut a gate while riding her and she fought me tooth and nail. We were spinning, backing up fast, spooking at everything. My instructor was practically yelling at me. Finally she told me to get off and she got on her to show me how its done. She had the same problem with her!!! It sure look pretty scary from the ground.

So I had my best riding day and my worst riding day on the SAME DAY, SAME HORSE. Go figure.

Great to hear about your hack. The naughtiness later might be to do with what you are asking her to do. My horse is gate shy - I think she must have accidently been hit by one swinging back on her in the past. Luckily, we don't have to open gates where we are.

Best wishes

Sally

Bravo Quarterbell, sounds as though you had a super hack, especially well done past all the scary things.
Sounds a bit as though your mare was confused about what you were asking her to do - gate. Try it from the ground first, to show her its nothing to get her knickers in a twist about. You can also practice, in the school, walking her right up to the rail - without hitting it- and putting her head over it before asking for the turn. Just a thought. L

Isn't it something how horses teach us something new everytime we spend time with them..
just about the time you think ha, I have it I have done the thing that scared me most now all we be smooth..they toss you a new lesson..
I have had very simular experences on my mare..I think that it keeps me honest with her and never do I take the good days for granted
I use thoese days to build up my confidence , cuz ya just know there will be another bad day comming :cool:

newrider.com