my 14 y/o fjord wont canter!!

Georgie.I

Aug 8, 2008
Altrincham, cheshire
I own a 14 year old Fjord mare. Iv seen her canter around in the field with my haflinger but when ever i ride her she will never canter, iv been in open fields with her and my haflinger galloping she just trots really fast, i havnt had her long just a few months.

Does anyone have any ideas, iv heard the breed has an extra gait?

:)

Thanks

picture.php

Last edited:
Is she a driving horse as well as a riding one.

She is gorgeous. Tell us more about her, her name history.....

thanks

I will add, I have read some fjords tolt, Ive not seen it. Mine dont, but without schooling ran into canter rather than went into canter.

she is called twiggy

she reciently came from belguim

i think shes a driving horse but i have never tried as i have only been riding 11 months !!

She is 14.1 hh and 14 years old :)

very very laid back but she is obsessed with my haflinger who hates her i also have a problem when i take him out she goes mental even though there are 10 others in the field!!

This is just guessing, nothing more.

She will have either been used for driving or trecking in Belgium. Knowing a tad about the Belgium fjords. Probubly never actually asked for canter. Give her time. Get her some lessons. Lunge her.

She is absolutly gorgeous. Will post some of my guys pics in a mo for you.

She probably doesn't know what you want when you ask for canter, and it's possible that she hasn't even been trained to canter under saddle.

Without sounding rude, could you get someone more experienced on her (like a RI) to see if they can get her to do it? They'll have a different riding style etc.

i agree with above...get a very experienced rider on her and see what they can do/what they think.

if she was used for driving she will need some/fair bit of schooling work.

Okay - If its a confusion thing then re-teach her. I brake and school event horses and when it comes down to the canter bit. We first get them cantering on the lunge and going into canter when we say "ANNNNND CANTER" and make sure they know exactly what that means and what they have to do. Then when you hop on board and your ready to canter you get them into a fairly fast trot (they're gonna run into to it anyway) and in your lungeing voice shout "ANNNND CANTER" (and sit in deep and use canter leg aids) some get it first time, some dont. But if shes confused as to what is wanted then that should help?

x

p.s she is lovely

newrider.com