Must... learn... tolerance...!

diamonddogs

Apr 14, 2008
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
It's been a very stressful year for me - this time last year I was undergoing radiotherapy for cancer, and been through major changes at work, as well as getting back into horse ownership after a thirty year break.

So as you can imagine, I was looking forward to a well earned break, timed specially so I could chill out on my own at home and spend some quality time with my horse whenever I felt like it.

Today was going to be the day I spent nearly a whole day with her as the dentist was coming in the morning, and she needed sedation for some major work, so the plan was to sort out her stuff in the morning then just chill out with her all afternoon and completely relax.

I made myself some sandwiches, filled my flask with hot water, got some nice coffee, packed it all in a bag with a book and my ipod and toddled off to the yard.

So when I get there, I find that the YO's kids are on half term - I'd assumed they'd be at school as my lot are off next week, which is why I'd specially chosen this particular week to have leave. So I've got them running around, picking up odds and ends and asking what this is for and what's that for, what's your book about, and how does the water stay hot in that bottle etc etc. If this isn't bad enough, the other livery turns up with her four year old in tow (which is fine in that they left me alone, but not fine because all three of them are running round like savages, jumping around the hay/straw store, and generally being a pain in the bum).

I could have wept.

Ooooo my heart feels for you here. I know its mean and intolerant but I so know what you're feeling - when you plan a nice relaxed quiet day and have everything organised to have it messed up by a bunch of screaming kids running around.

Its one of those ones where you smile through tightly gritted teeth but really want to cry.

But hey, its done now and you clearly got through it without killing anyone, slapping them round the head or telling them to **** off so congratulations on keeping your cool :D You deserve a glass of wine/bar of choc/whatever your thing is.

Any chance you can sneak some quiet time tomorrow or friday - take your horse elsewhere for some chill out time?

I have a child whom I love dearly - its all the others that drive me nuts!! Esp the ones that run around feral!

then there's the parents who dont see anything wrong in letting "little Jimmy" run around feral - they're the worst!.

"gets off soap box" I take my hat off to teachers - how they manage is beyond me

Oh its so frustrating when you get kids jumping all over the hay and straw, into everything, nosing through your stuff and all you want to do is enjoy time with your horse. Unfortunately some parents forget that they still need to be responsible for their children and basically think it gives them an excuse to let them run riot because they think they are safe. I hope everything went OK today and that you will be able to enjoy your horse in peace very soon.

I sympathise greatly
I dont like kids much, though do have a teenage son but thats different:p
I get accosted most day by local kids when out with my dogs, greyhounds are a big fasination to kids, and i get bombarded with questions, some very bizarre ones at that!!
But like you, i need to learn tolerance:p, even when someone tries to tag along (even adults) when Im walking in woods, I get really peeved, i cant be bothered making conversation, and listening to the kak that some people talk
(Im sure I talk kak too but try not to inflict it on other people:D)
Hope you find another day to chill out...child free:D

*Breathes a sigh of relief*

It's not just me then!

I can't take her off by myself unless I go to the bottom of the field, and even then Kel's fieldmate would follow us, so there's no let up (though I prefer his company to that of a six-going-on-twenty-six-year old. I know, I'm going to hell!!). I'm not riding her just now, partly because of my nerves and partly because of her mouth, though that should be fine in a day or so now, and I can't hack her out yet, even from the ground because my blood pressure goes up coming out of the yard in my car let alone on a horse as the main road isn't busy particularly, though it can be, but there's a couple of nasty blind bends.

What makes it worse is the six year old, though a sweet little thing most of the time, is a real know-all, and constantly tells us that we're doing stuff wrong. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, forgot to say, when I went to the hay store later to fill a net, I found, among other things, a child's umbrella, a couple of odd socks, several crisp and sweet packets, and (this made my blood run cold) a pitchfork :eek: all buried under the loose hay and straw.

its a bit difficult when its the yard owners kids, but i'm all sympathy for you here--- there is nothing that i dislike more than doting or ineffectual mothers who let their kids run riot in public, dog owners too for that matter; bring back discipline says i.

*Breathes a sigh of relief*

It's not just me then!

Nope, you're definitely not alone!
For the record I have NO problem with a child-friendly yard, BUT!
I expect those children there to be well-behaved, and cared for by their parents. Never mind the irritation factor - and my heart goes out to you, there's nothing worse than planning a lovely quite day for self and horse and have it spoilt - it's the safety issue that comes first. Horse and children only work together when both are quiet, calm, and carefuly supervised!

I sympathise, I have done my job and mine have grown and gone, but I still have little pony who needs a little rider, besides me going on him, till the grandchildren arrive in a few years time. So I am back to having someone elses child to train to be safe around horses to ride him. When will I ever be child free.

In fact, I arranged last summer with the kids that I could have the pony to myself every third day as I was getting jealous of them being there and grooming him all the time. Sad at nearly 50, but I really enjoy having horsey time on my own.

I did love my kids, honest, it is just the others. lol.:D

i'm a firm believer that uncontrolled kids and horses do NOT mix. We had an incident on my old yard where the owners grandkids decided they'd light a fire - in the HAY BARN!! they nearly torched the whole place :mad: so i completely sympathise with you! yards, for most people, are a place to escape to. I am lucky in that i'm on my own yard so no hassles. I'm a secondary teacher, so don't think i could cope with being on a yard with kids after having taught all day!!!

newrider.com