Must be a temperature thing

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
Our first year at present yard our gelding was totally settled out with out mare and slept in the sunshine in the field which stayed in for following two years (in during winter) but the following year he had alot of injuries in the field and when he did go out after boxrest he never settled and would run up and down the hedge and to and fro the gate and wait at the gate alot all sweaty and stressed and cause more injuries while mare grazed :cry:

There was nothing different we could see and he was only settled in a field closer to the yard as could come to the gate and see what was going on then wander off happily again to eat but we couldnt use this field longterm :poop:

He was a nightmare and not safe to put out which meant stood in alot and mare was too who would live out if I let her. He is so good now in new field slightly nearer main yard and other horses but we think it is down to temperature. If its cold he comes to the gate when sees or hears you near or is there waiting already but if warm he doesnt bother. Now we know its nosiness, security issues and temperature :wink:

Hehehe with our Joe it was all sorts of things, weather, noseyness and lord only knew what! He would never stay out 24/7 - liked his rug and stable too much! Though he did seem more settled in warmer weather - until the midges came out!

Not the only horse that doesnt know how to be a horse in the field then :wink:

He also liked the comfort and security of his stable as tied to the door he was at the haybale chomping happily lol

My ex racer didn't like flies!!!

Once I bought him a fly rug and mask - he managed to stay out all day - instead of galloping around like a maniac until he came in!

newrider.com