Music choice for Freestyle

When I did it, I chose music I liked. I felt I was more likely to remember what I had put together.

I know I had music from the Titanic and I got soaked during my test, so it fitted better than I had planned!

Do folk usually choose something classical?
There is music that's been tailored to suit each gait that you can buy, but I just did it myself.
The hardest part was the license, because you are playing music in a public competition setting.

These days I am touch with people on YouTube who give permission for their music to be used for free :) You can even get them to produce something just for you. It's fab.

As far as I know, if its a BD competition they have a deal with PRS so copyright is not an issue.
We had an issue with the riding club. But I think we got round it.
I did better on my friend's horse, that I do remember :)

I often listen to music and picture movements to it !! Currently in my car I have Bat out of Hell album... I think Bat out of Hell would be awesome!!

You have 2 options for the license. If you are doing unaffiliated and the venue has a music license, you can use whatever music you like and the copyright is covered by their license. If they do not have a license, or if you are doing BD affiliated, you need to join BD as a music member. You pay £30 per year and they send you stickers to put on your cds. The venue will not accept cds without this sticker, so you will need to check in advance. I know people who have not been able to compete because they did not have these stickers on their cds.

As for music, I much prefer pop music with words, but apparently many judges don't like this. For my last competition I picked orchestral versions of pop songs. I had skyfall by adele, take me to church by Hozier and take on me by Aha. I tend to put lots of music on my phone and then see what fits when I ride.x

I think anything that has a clear beat works. Personally I like there to be some sort of 'theme' as it grates when a test starts with, for example, a modern piece for trot and then goes to a classical piece for walk etc. Changing genres can work but I think there needs to be a musical link in some way not just a series of pieces that work with each pace.

I have to say, one of my favourite memories is riding my 17.1hh boy in the school when someone put ABBA on. He pricked up his ears and skipped along to 'Dancing Queen' like a true pro:D

Years ago I made a cassette of slow fast slow to freelonge
Sonny (the first) and Max at night when I got home from work
out in the rd pen in the dark under the lights.

Somewhere over the years its gotten lost :(:mad:

I remember I had music from the elephant man on it.
Totally cant remember what any of the other music was :mad:

HMMM maybe when we move it will turn up!!

newrider.com