Mud fever progress

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Thought I would share my progress with you with regard to Chloe's mud fever. She has been plagued by it on and off all summer (what summer?!) and a couple of weeks ago it reached its peak again - meaning she was becoming reluctant to let either of us pick her feet out or apply cream to the area. So, I had a choice, either sedate via vet call out, use Sedolin (which is very limited with her) or find an alternative. As luck would have it, I "discovered" she adores having the back of her thighs scratched and it has the same effect on her as a twitch or sedative!!! Amazing. She stood like a rock with bottom lip wobbling whilst OH took her feathers off, washed her legs, applied Aromesse to the scabby parts and Dermoline to the bits that were scab free but sore and pink. Have to say, sad tho I am about the feathers going, the mud fever is heading the right way! This morning she didn't look as sore and last night I was able to pick her feet out without any hesitation. Poor girl, she is so trusting - must seem awful having itchy sore legs and then letting somebody touch them,
I am praying for dry weather to stay - it can only help. We have made her a special path of dry straw each day to walk to the paddock through - to avoid the mud - again this can only help. Today we have clarted her in Keratex mud powder too - just in case the rain does come.
So, how are any of you fellow sufferers coping?
All I can say is thank god I have found her favourite scratchy place!!!

I can totally emphasise with you. When i first got vol he was red raw with mud fever and I tried everything to help ease it. So hard seeing them hurting, harder still when they need turned out and theres no hiding from mud/bacteria

For us pig oil n sulphur only thing that worked. Oil by itself when all he was all healed as a preventative ans I just alternate when I need too if it ever looks like it will errupt. I have to say I am thankful for for being shown this product as that's us years down the line with only small occurences since. However I know it doesnt suit all horses and others who use still try to wash legs etc ad then blame the product for not working. If u haven't given it a shot yet n ur horse isn't allergic I would say try :)

Trews does Chloe have enough feather for you to use PO&S once the mud fever has cleared & her feather has grown back?

Is there a minimum amount of feather required before people can use PO&S?

I can totally emphasise with you. When i first got vol he was red raw with mud fever and I tried everything to help ease it. So hard seeing them hurting, harder still when they need turned out and theres no hiding from mud/bacteria

For us pig oil n sulphur only thing that worked. Oil by itself when all he was all healed as a preventative ans I just alternate when I need too if it ever looks like it will errupt. I have to say I am thankful for for being shown this product as that's us years down the line with only small occurences since. However I know it doesnt suit all horses and others who use still try to wash legs etc ad then blame the product for not working. If u haven't given it a shot yet n ur horse isn't allergic I would say try :)

That is the thing, as you say, they need turnout - she would hate to be kept in all day, yet I almost feel bad putting her out in the rain!!

Can confirm horses dont need feathers to us it. My boy doesn't have any. My sec a does and works the same on them both.

The oil acts a barrier for the mud/bacteria/wet conditons. I have never needed to keep mine in since using it. I wish I did take pics of vols mud fever when i first got him but it was honestly got that bad when I was trying everything to heal it I am sure welfare would have sad something, he had no hair on all four legs -was red n raw. I started pig oil and sulphur and turned him out from that initial application.

6 years on nearly and we have never looked back. I was lucky before vol to never have horses that suffered.

Please be aware tho that sulphur amounts need to be used carefully. Better to little than too much and same for application. Oil by itself can be applied weekly as soon as sulphur added be more strict on intervals when applied(every 6 week's n only if needed to help heal). Things like not washing legs when applied, letting mud dry and brush off all key elements too. I read a lot of slating of the product sometimes and a lot is down to user error not the product sadly.

Good luck and hope it clears asap for u both as it is really draining emotionally for u both having to deal with it.

Last edited:
Ginger has small amounts of mud fever on his back legs. One leg I think has nearly gone the other is clinging in there. I am using mud socks I have three pairs so he always has a dry pair on at night and barrier cream when I take them off. I am just treating with hibbi scrub at the moment as it is not that bad but I feel your pain.

Ginger has small amounts of mud fever on his back legs. One leg I think has nearly gone the other is clinging in there. I am using mud socks I have three pairs so he always has a dry pair on at night and barrier cream when I take them off. I am just treating with hibbi scrub at the moment as it is not that bad but I feel your pain.

I had mud socks for Joe - like you I had several pairs to use when wet. Only thing is the ones I had you couldn't leave on 24/7 - you had to take them off to let the leg rest (can't remember exactly what it said on the pack). I did find them quite helpful in Joe's case as his was mild. Poor Chloe is so good, she is very patient whilst we tend to them.
They look a little better this morning - and she let OH brush them before powdering with hardly any fidgeting.

newrider.com