Mud Fever Help Please!

CMP

Jan 15, 2010
Caymen has got a bit of mud fever. He has two small bits that are totally bald and a bit red and angry looking but skin not broken. He has another bit that is currently scabby but again, skin is not broken.

I have washed all his legs with hibiscrub, let them dry naturally and then applied a powder thing (cant remember name) that should help dry out scabs etc.

So, he is staying in tomorrow but what do I do after that? I have pig oil to put on his legs before turnout but do I need to wait until scabs fall off etc before he is turned back out again?? The field is muddy and it cannot be avoided. I dont have other field to use and no school either.

Help!

If you have pig oil just slosh it on alllll over and the mud slides off when you bring them in again. If you can get pig oil with flower of sulpher even better, as the flower of sulpher heals mudfever too :happy:

If you have pig oil just slosh it on alllll over and the mud slides off when you bring them in again. If you can get pig oil with flower of sulpher even better, as the flower of sulpher heals mudfever too :happy:

Is it ok to turn him out in his current state with the pig oil or do I need to wait for scabs to heal?

Thanks!

Do a patch test first, I put it on Jim's legs one year as a preventative & it made them sore so I dread to think wat it would have done if he'd already got mudfever.

Different things seem to work for different horses. If he'll stay in for a couple of days to give it a chance to heal that's great, then put something on that will form a barrier. Popular on my yard are Protocon ointment, Sudocreme (also made Jim sore, it almost seems to burn him) & my favourite Equine America's Fungatrol ointment. If he gets it this year I'm also going to try Manuka honey after seeing how well it worked on a sore that wasn't healing, but I don't know how wll it will work.

ETA the ones I've named above can all be put on broken skin.

Maya had greasy heel and I sprayed it with my golden hoof solution which has zinc in it and it cleared it up right away. I use the golden hoof powder for thrush and it clears it instantly. I didnt have anywhere to bring her out of the wet either so I'm glad it went!

Ouchy poor Hosssey, one of the only areas I have experience (last yard 8 out of 12 horses got it last year fields were just muddy bogs) I would wash in diluted hibiscrub as you are, dry then use sudocreme over DRY skin as a barrier to turn out while still red or scabby, once healed pig oil (with sulpher if ok after patch test I can't use but know it works well on others) and kept dry.

Is it ok to turn him out in his current state with the pig oil or do I need to wait for scabs to heal?

Thanks!

When Coby had a small patch of mud fever last year i put it on top of the scabs, when the legs were cleaned and dry i rubbed it in (i`d done a skin test on the bulb of his heel first), he has 2 white socks with very pink skin, this was where the couple of scabs were. The pig oil softened the scabs, and left nice healed skin under neath (i use the pig oil and sulpher). Since using it on them (Quinn before i lost him and Coby/Dixie) they`ve not suffered at all with mud fever this year, and their field is a bog with the rain we`ve had.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
I found Barrier Hygiene Hoof to Heel excellent either as a slop on to stop the mud stick and to also heal if they got it.

I used to put it on before they went out and then use Thermatex leggings when they came in, so it dried the legs out very fast. The leggings got greasy and needed frequent washing so i had a couple of sets. It seemed to clear it up quickly it softened the scabs so they fell off without hurting them.

newrider.com