Mud Fever Anti-bacterial stuff?

capalldubh

May 26, 2006
Shannon has had rather nasty mud fever over the last few weeks (after we cleared up the mange mites).

The good news is that I've found a new field - so we can get away from the expensive livery with the high turnover of horses and endless infections etc. The new field is for two horses, though, so I need to buy my own horse by the 1st October - pressure is on!

Anyway, I have been treating the mud fever scabs with a combination of sudocrem and aloe vera gel, and have had a lot of success getting the scabs to fall off.

However, I know mud fever is a bacterial infection, and sudocrem is antiseptic but not antibacterial. What should I use now to get rid of the bad bacteria? Now the scabs are off, it's still a bit ouchy so I don't want to use anything too harsh.

What have people had success with? Suggestions gratefully accepted :)

I've had really good sucess with Wondergel by Gold Label. Prior to finding this I'd used just about every remedy going with only reasonable results a lot of the time, and no change the rest. Wondergel works every time.

There was a thread a few days back recomending Benzoyl-benzoate which should be avalible from Boots (might need to order and collect another day). Just follow instructions on the bottle should kill all the bad bugs.

i like the IV Horse mud guard wash. my horse has had mild mud fever in the past and i've always managed to keep it at bay using the wash and keratex mud shield powder.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bebe- I'd never heard of Wondergel - will look it up!

Darcys-girl - I read the thread on the Benzyl Benzoate - I knew it stopped itching, I didn't realise it might kill the bad bugs too :)

Eventerbabe - I like the idea of a wash - the Sudocrem has left her legs all sticky, and a wash sounds exactly like what I want to do for the next step - and then the keratex... Btw I have always been envious of your setup with your own private little yard, and I hope this is what we've managed to get, field, two stables, hay barn and gate to forestry tracks right beside the stable! I am very happy! All I need to do is kill the mud fever before we move :)

hibiscrub is quite good at washing sudocreme off too

Thanks, tb - would the hibiscrub be ouchy? I have never used it... she is getting very fed up with me poking at her heels, poor thing :(

capalldubh said:
would the hibiscrub be ouchy?
no it's nice and mild.
sudocreme is good stuff but i find it very difficult to shift, the best thing i've come across is a good dash of hibiscrub with warm water.
xxx

Darcys-girl - I read the thread on the Benzyl Benzoate - I knew it stopped itching, I didn't realise it might kill the bad bugs too

Not on broken or sore skin!!!!! It burns like nothing on earth if you get it on broken skin or in your eyes. It is not for use on wounds, sores, etc.

I've seen it used on a mare suffering with sweet-itch who colicked badly from pain/stress when her owner accidentally got a bit on skin which had been rubbed and was pink. I would never use it for mudfever.

go to scats or similar agricultural shop, by a 10kg tub of udder cream. very cheap and works wonders. it is antibacterial and contains something similar to antibacterial stuff that dentists use. smells nice too!

Benzyl Benzoate is great at PREVENTING mud fever, you apply it before you get any scabs/cracked skin. When applied like this it kills the MF bugs that sit on the skin waiting for a way in, therefore preventing MF developing if you horse gets a cracked heel or something.

I have been battling MF with my filly for weeks now, everytime I get something that appears to be working it never seems to finnish the job. On saturday I brought some NAF MSM ointment and began applying it on sunday night, now all the scabs have gone (with no picking or scrubbing) and it seems to be healing up, fingers crossed :D

For prevention (I have been using these things periodically on Bo who suffered last year) I have found that Aquious cream with tea tree oil added is very good and I have this pink grease (brought for horses but I can't think what its called) and I also have Benzyl Benzoate.
I found the BB kills the bug, AC and tea tree soothe and moisturise the skin keeping it soft and supple and the pink grease stops the skin from getting water logged :D

J x

When I bought Cisco he had a bad case of rain rot. I tried medicated shampoos from the vet for a month, but it was getting worse. I used Muck Itch which contains Tea Tree Oil and it was gone within 4 days.

when i got my pony he had mud fever bad and i used to wash his scabs with hibiscrub which used to make the scabs soft enough and fall off and then i would apply udder cream which worked great
this year though i have moved yards and the fields have good drainage so fingers crossed he wont get it
also when the scabs are gone and its cleared up you could buy pastern wraps

Hibiscrub can be a bit irritating if not diluted enough. Read the label on the bottle. Ihave tried the Wonder Gel and it hasnt done the trick. To be honest I feel that every horse is different and reacts to different methods. Once you find a method that works then stick to it.

I have bought some Hibiscrub - but it doesn't say anything on the bottle about diluting it? It is chlorhexidine gluconate 4% w/v... should I dilute it further? I've used chlorhexidine gluconate before during the strangles outbreak but it was savlon liquid not hibiscrub.

I've also ordered in some keratex.

As NovicNic says, different things work on different horses! Real pain in the bum!

I've found Barrier Hoof to Heal to be very effective at lifting off the scabs and healing it up. Also Keretex mud shield powder as well is very good.

capalldubh said:
Eventerbabe - I like the idea of a wash - the Sudocrem has left her legs all sticky, and a wash sounds exactly like what I want to do for the next step - and then the keratex... Btw I have always been envious of your setup with your own private little yard, and I hope this is what we've managed to get, field, two stables, hay barn and gate to forestry tracks right beside the stable! I am very happy! All I need to do is kill the mud fever before we move :)
the wash is superb. smells yummy too because i think it has essential oils in it. enjoy your own yard :) i could never go back into livery having had my own place!!

We use Keratex mud powder on Joe - it does help a lot. Am going to get some of that benzly whatsit soon tho - he hasn't got it yet (touch wood) and am hoping to ward it off this year!

capalldubh said:
I have bought some Hibiscrub - but it doesn't say anything on the bottle about diluting it? It is chlorhexidine gluconate 4% w/v... should I dilute it further? I've used chlorhexidine gluconate before during the strangles outbreak but it was savlon liquid not hibiscrub.

I've also ordered in some keratex.

I dilute it by putting a slosh (very specific :rolleyes: ) probably about 2 tablespoons in a 1/4 liter bottle of warm water-convenient to squirt it on the leg, then lather and rinse well.

i've used it with broken skin on my hands (scratches and cuts) and it didn't cause me any irritation so i am guessing my dear hosses legs wouldn't be too irritated by it either :)

lots of brill ideas on how to treat this nasty mud fever-thanks everyone

newrider.com