Moving Yards - Having a Wobble

DaisyAM

May 26, 2016
I've owned my horse for 2 years and haven't owned before - I bought her from someone I know and she's stayed at the same yard during those 2 years. Without boring you all to death, things came to a head a couple of weeks ago (I'm on full livery) and I've found somewhere else to keep her, again on full livery.
I know in my gut that it's the right decision and we move on Saturday, but am feeling a bit daunted as I will truly be on my own with her (there will be other liveries at the new place, but it has been a bit of a comfort blanket having the previous owner around). My girl is a sensitive soul and I know we shouldn't humanise them but I feel guilty about moving her away from the herd she's been in for the past five years. All the 'what if's' are creeping in - anyone had similar wobbles? x

Yes.
When I gave up the place I had been on for five years to move round the corner it was daunting. As you say it was a comfort blanket as that's the place I knew from where I had my first horse.
But, things change and after two years you will probably stay in touch with a few people anyway and you meet new people.

Not quite the same, but I got my horse from Portugal, and had similar feelings about taking her away from her old home, where she'd been around the same horses and people for most of her life, and moving her to France (where I lived at the time) to a completely strange place / new climate / new horses and people / different lifestyle etc. She is a bit of a sensitive soul too and I was worried the upheaval would really upset her. She did take a while to settle in but I don't think it was ever as traumatic for her as I had feared it would be!

Yes.
When I gave up the place I had been on for five years to move round the corner it was daunting. As you say it was a comfort blanket as that's the place I knew from where I had my first horse.
But, things change and after two years you will probably stay in touch with a few people anyway and you meet new people.
It's unlikely I'll be staying in touch with the person at the current yard hence the move! I think I need to put my big girl pants on but still a bit scared!!

Not quite the same, but I got my horse from Portugal, and had similar feelings about taking her away from her old home, where she'd been around the same horses and people for most of her life, and moving her to France (where I lived at the time) to a completely strange place / new climate / new horses and people / different lifestyle etc. She is a bit of a sensitive soul too and I was worried the upheaval would really upset her. She did take a while to settle in but I don't think it was ever as traumatic for her as I had feared it would be!
Thanks for that, I just want to get on with it now - I hate all the waiting once you've made your mind up. Onwards and upwards hopefully!

Good luck with the move, you'll both be fine. I think so long as horses have their familiar human about they cope very well. Hope it's a good place for you and that you can both settle.

Good luck with the move, you'll both be fine. I think so long as horses have their familiar human about they cope very well. Hope it's a good place for you and that you can both settle.
Thank you, am going to be like a stalker and watch her every move in the field to make sure she's okay. She's usually way down the pecking order so doubt she'll challenge for the alpha mare role!

I moved my horse from a yard he'd been on for 7 years to a totally different area hours away. He's a bit quirky and sensitive but settled well and is the same old boy I've always had. I was very worried about it but he coped fine.

It's natural to worry, I'm sure your horse will be fine though. Try and keep her routine the same, remember she still has you.

Reactions: DaisyAM
I think you’re making a good move and at about a time in your ownership where you should be ready to deal with your horse on your own. You’ll realise you’re a better and more competent owner than you think. I was getting help in the early days from a friend and something happened which caused me to say no to any more help from her. I had to man up and take charge instead of her being in charge of both my horse and I and as it turned out, from me being more assertive in decision making, my horse then gave me more respect and it worked for us.
My horse takes a while to settle in any place but I’ve found he’s better when he’s realised I’m his consistency. New surroundings and new horses, but he’s still got me.
Good luck With it. And no one is indispensable. You will find new mutual support and help. No one is truly alone.

I've had my own horses for the last 22 years and loans for 10 before that and have moved to new yards a fair bit, relocated to different areas etc. and I think it is perfectly normal to be a little apprehensive about any move. I'm a list person, I like to make a plan and a list and ticking everything off it helps me feel reassured that I have done everything I can to ensure a move goes smoothly (and that I haven't forgotten some vital thing :rolleyes:) :)

I think you’re making a good move and at about a time in your ownership where you should be ready to deal with your horse on your own. You’ll realise you’re a better and more competent owner than you think. I was getting help in the early days from a friend and something happened which caused me to say no to any more help from her. I had to man up and take charge instead of her being in charge of both my horse and I and as it turned out, from me being more assertive in decision making, my horse then gave me more respect and it worked for us.
My horse takes a while to settle in any place but I’ve found he’s better when he’s realised I’m his consistency. New surroundings and new horses, but he’s still got me.
Good luck With it. And no one is indispensable. You will find new mutual support and help. No one is truly alone.
Sounds like you've gone through a similar experience to me! Yep. some independence is required now........

I've moved mine to three different yards in the year that I've had her - it's hard finding the right balance for both you and the horse, and some compromise is inevitable. She's really settled now and unless for some reason we get kicked out or decide to move to a different part of the country, I will keep her where she is forever! Horses are good at making friends so don't worry about her. There will most probably be a wobbly transitional period so brace yourself for that - my girl was a horror last time we moved, I came close to selling her! But I am glad I didn't as she settled and we're a happy partnership now.

I was sharing a horse on the yard where I bought Ben from so I knew everyone already. Ben had been based there for 2 years and was settled. When I bought him I decided to move him to a yard closer to my home and everyone on the old yard was horrified. They all told me I was doing the wrong thing, that the new yard was terrible, Ben would never settle and I was a terrible person for even considering it.

I stuck to my guns, Ben walked off the lorry onto my new yard and was as calm as anything. He had to stay in isolation for over 2 weeks with no turnout because he failed his strangles test and had to have his guttural pouches flushed, but he was always as calm and settled as he is now.

Just go for it and don't look back. Life is too short for the what ifs and questioning your decisions. You and your horse will love your new yard.

I've moved mine to three different yards in the year that I've had her - it's hard finding the right balance for both you and the horse, and some compromise is inevitable. She's really settled now and unless for some reason we get kicked out or decide to move to a different part of the country, I will keep her where she is forever! Horses are good at making friends so don't worry about her. There will most probably be a wobbly transitional period so brace yourself for that - my girl was a horror last time we moved, I came close to selling her! But I am glad I didn't as she settled and we're a happy partnership now.
That's exactly what's bothering me! We all moved together in the summer and she was difficult for the first two weeks - wouldn't go in the new stable, wouldn't stand still, jogged everywhere when we hacked out, being in the ménage was like a rodeo as she really tried to buck me off (but didn't win - ha!!), it was like having a totally different horse and that was with horses she knew! So that's what's making me apprehensive as everything will be new for her and she might have a complete meltdown (or I might).

I was sharing a horse on the yard where I bought Ben from so I knew everyone already. Ben had been based there for 2 years and was settled. When I bought him I decided to move him to a yard closer to my home and everyone on the old yard was horrified. They all told me I was doing the wrong thing, that the new yard was terrible, Ben would never settle and I was a terrible person for even considering it.

I stuck to my guns, Ben walked off the lorry onto my new yard and was as calm as anything. He had to stay in isolation for over 2 weeks with no turnout because he failed his strangles test and had to have his guttural pouches flushed, but he was always as calm and settled as he is now.

Just go for it and don't look back. Life is too short for the what ifs and questioning your decisions. You and your horse will love your new yard.
Good for you - I know the easy choice is stay but I can't put up with the c**p and as you say life is too short, I just want to enjoy her. We are definitely going, just hoping she doesn't turn into the horse from hell. I need to remember to be calm and confident so she's not wondering why I'm stressed out as that will be a vicious circle :eek:

That's exactly what's bothering me! We all moved together in the summer and she was difficult for the first two weeks - wouldn't go in the new stable, wouldn't stand still, jogged everywhere when we hacked out, being in the ménage was like a rodeo as she really tried to buck me off (but didn't win - ha!!), it was like having a totally different horse and that was with horses she knew! So that's what's making me apprehensive as everything will be new for her and she might have a complete meltdown (or I might).
Mine did all that apart from the bronking as she doesn't buck (unless her saddle needs reflocking - that's how I know!) But you know what, there's no rush. You suspect it will take her a few weeks to settle, and you're probably right. Don't put pressure on either of you to rush into hacking out alone or whatever. Accept it will take as long as it takes but she will settle eventually.

Just to update all you lovely people - we successfully moved on Saturday and so far, so good! It's a small family run yard, the other liveries all seems very nice and my girl has settled in better than I expected! An 'expert' said to me on moving day that I must get riding her straight away to get her focussed - I'm not doing that, she needs time to settle in and get used to the new environment. Thanks for all the advice x

newrider.com