Moving pasture, grass sickness, feed etc.

Cazie

Feb 18, 2008
south
Since I have had my horse, 2 years now.. he has had very little grazing for both Winter and Summer.. He has been coming in at night or during the day and having haylage and currently just Anthony Rye hay, he has also been having 2 meals a day along with his supplements.. The problem now is.. I am moving him to be closer to me and he will have 4 acres of very rich grass.. Will he still need extra food, like hay if I bring him in and also 2 feeds... or will he be fine just on the grass...

Sorry if this seems a dim question but I've not had the grass problem before.. and what about grass sickness.. is that something they get from eating to much of it... I know I sound like i shouldn't even own a horse lol.. but in all honesty I am an experienced rider who would like some advice regarding the whole grass thing...

Thanks guys :)

I guess what I am actually asking is... will the grass provide him with ALL of his daily needs. I know I am going to have to strip graze...

Will he also fizz up on grass alone....

Will there be other horses on the land?
This time of year with plenty of grazing they shouldn't need any other feed.

If the 4 acres is just for you them I would section them off into lots of paddocks, you could get away with 8! Save 5 or even 6 for winter.
Yes they can get fizzy on grass this time of the year.

He might not need other feed to maintain weight, but you should consider whether he is able to get all the vitamins and minerals he needs from just grass. Possibly feed him a grass/hay product as a filler, just so that you can give him whatever daily supplement he might need. For example, my lot, on grass, get a handfull of soaked grass cubes because they also need a scoop of 'Remission' powder, since our area is known to be deficient in magnesium and a couple of other things.

Introduce him to this lush grass gradually. Start with a couple of hours twiec a day, or whatever you think appropriate - but don't just throw him out there and leave him to it. It's 'laminitis' that you need to worry about, where they gorge themselves on too much lush grass and then get very sick. Watch his weight - it's usually overweight horses who suffer - although you can get laminitis / founder in a horse who is not overweight, just from the sugar storm of too much grass all at once this time of year.

Thanks guys.. but this is what I don't get..

If i keep him in at night.. do I give a hay net, also, if i then allow him out for 2 hours, when I bring him in should I hang up a net...

I never knew having grass was such a problem...

He is a warmblood but not a good doer... My friend will have to use a grazing muzzle with hers as he gets a crest at the sight of grass...

I'm not sure how practical it is going to be to put up the electric fencing.. it isn't my field..

There will be 3 of them on it plus sheep...

It won't be a problem on grass- it's just adjustung to it that is a little work. Yes, give him hay whenever he is off grass. Always keep fibre moving through his system.

Thank You.. I know this may seem like a minor problem for most people but I have never had grass in this quantity or richness... I was hoping I could leave him out 24/7 but I know I can't now...

I hope I won't be putting up pictures of a very fat horse in a few weeks time:eek:

Invest in a grazing muzzle too - that makes things a lot easier, if you can't get back to the yard to bring him in every few hours - you can leave him out a lot longer in it.

newrider.com