Move has made me anxious!

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I really like the new yard but obviously Roxy hasn't settled yet. We moved on Tues. She has to stay in after being wormed last night until Sat morning (actually she could go out tomorrow but I want to be there as she'll be turned out with the mares, and unfortunately I have to go into London for a meeting and won't be back until late). I took her into the outdoor arena to lunge her today. She was actually fine to lunge, but very spooky when I walked her round inhand, in one corner particularly. There's quite a lot going on around the arena, with horses she doesn't know, and tractors parked etc so I know it's a lot to take in. She's one of those horses that can be difficult to lead but is fine to ride, but even so, I am just feeling a bit of anxiety about jumping on! I'll ride on Sat or Sun depending on how everything goes. Any tips on how to make this as successful as possible?

Have no expectations other than taking your time grooming, tacking up and getting on board. Don't expect wonderful trot to canter transitions - in fact, if it were me I'd play it by ear and either have a small walk and pat her and get off, or after a small walk you feel like you've got a bit more left in you, then ask for a trot. I'll wager being a mare she will let you know how she is feeling one way or another - and you'll be able to decide what's appropriate and what's not riding wise. Small and steady usually works for me, and also if it ends well you know you can build on it. Good luck.

Reactions: Ruskii
I'm sure it will be fine as you say she's better ridden, just make sure to set yourself up to succeed by picking a quiet time on the yard and when you aren't pressured to hurry.

Reactions: squidsin
Have no expectations other than taking your time grooming, tacking up and getting on board. Don't expect wonderful trot to canter transitions - in fact, if it were me I'd play it by ear and either have a small walk and pat her and get off, or after a small walk you feel like you've got a bit more left in you, then ask for a trot. I'll wager being a mare she will let you know how she is feeling one way or another - and you'll be able to decide what's appropriate and what's not riding wise. Small and steady usually works for me, and also if it ends well you know you can build on it. Good luck.
Yup, I'll see how it goes and will probably save canter for a later session. A little walk round will do in the first instance. Once I've got up there and done it, I'll be fine, but I STILL have Poppy's broncing behaviour in the back of my mind, even though Roxy has never done anything like that.

It WILL be fine. Could you not hack out with some people there and do roadwork? Generally roadwork is much more boring than the arena!

Reactions: squidsin
She is being turned out with the mares for the first time tomorrow, so I think I'll let her settle tomorrow (also, I have to go into London to see my friend's new baby!) and then ride on Sun. She seems calm and happy so I am feeling positive again.

I would ride later in the afternoon after she has been turned out. If you are feeling worried then lunge her for 10 minutes before you get on, and aim for a positive ride. Keep her mind busy by doing lots of transitions and keep her feet moving. I am sure she will be absolutely fine. When I am nervous I always feel better if I have a good plan of what I am going to do, so maybe make a plan of your ride before you get on.

She is a lovely genuine horse and while it's hard to forget when happened with Poppy, very few horses will bronk you off as soon as you get on. Most may be a little tense at the new yard, but 99% of the time they settle into their work very quickly.

Good advice MP, yes, I'll turn her out for the morning and ride at lunchtime. I think she'll be fine - she was fine when I lunged her, she likes being occupied with a job. She can be stressy to lead but she's rarely like that when you're on her back. Also, today, she seemed far more settled. She's not a bucker but it's just that programming in the back of my mind!

Tommy is the most laid back Irish boy ever. Until we moved yards around Feb I think. I was really worried but I found taking him for small in hand walks helped and rescue remedy for me for riding :)

Well, she was as good as gold! Walked, trotted, confident enough to canter and she didn't put a foot wrong. I rode her today and she was perfect again. Planning to ride her every day this week to help her settle - she seems to be settling in nicely though so I am really pleased! She doesn't really like any other horses, the grumpy mare, but she hasn't been kicked, and hasn't succeeded in kicking anything else (erm - not for want of trying, I've got to admit) so fingers crossed she'll be fine in the mares' field as individual turnout isn't an option.

newrider.com