mouthing bit please help

sianandtonto

Feb 1, 2009
Hi i am starting to think about getting my two year old used to a bit and have read many different things concerning what bit i should use to get him used to it, and am interested in anyones apinion as to what bits people have used with there horses. I am not going to break him to ride until he is three and half/ four. but want to get him used to bit in the mouth.Also what do people think of key bits and is there any reccomendation with them please, im getting alot of different opinions and advice and am finding it hard to even start. thank you for reading this and replying in advance :)

I have just bitted my 2 year old about a month ago after advice from here,I have started with a rubber in-hand type bit.He was absolutely fantastic with it and had a good chew on it for the first few times he wore it ( a couple of minutes each time at first then built it up ),I put a tiny taste of mollasses on it.He stands really happily with it in and hardly and chewing now.:D:)
2ndjune09007.jpg

Hi,

Which bit? I'd choose an unjointed or double jointed(french link) type. Rubber is the usual pref for youngsters, but so long as it's comfortable - right size etc, shouldn't matter. Some like keys, so their horses have something to play with. I don't personally like the idea - don't think they need more reasons to fidget with the bit, more reasons not to be concentrating on other things.

I think the more important consideration is what you do with the horse when he's wearing the bit. I would make a point of doing nothing much for the first few sessions at least, just allowing him to wear it & get used to the feel without being bugged, then choosing a time when he's holding it quietly to remove it.

After the first few sessions, I would start doing stuff with the horse, but NOT with anything connected to the bit. Pref. free, but if you need to be attached, use a halter. I'd be concentrating on only asking for easy stuff that the horse enjoys, make it all a good experience, try to keep him preoccupied while he's wearing it, so it just becomes natural to him.

Once he's accustomed to wearing it, then you can start to teach him to yield to the feel, but I strongly advise teaching him to yield to rein pressure in just a halter first(less chance of hurting him when you come to do it with the bit). Once he's reliably yielding in a halter, then start the same lessons in the bit. When you come to ride him, I would be doing the same there too - starting in a halter, to lower the chance of hurting him if he gets reactive to being ridden.

we use a bit with keys for the initial bitting and mouthing and leading- they have something to play with and soften to the bit in their mouth (froth makes it more comfortable, warms it up, doesnt drag etc).

for work (sitting on, lunging, long lining) we go to a basic single jointed snaffle.

any problems from that will go to double joints or no joints, but it doesnt happen that ofter

I used a soft rubber straight bar. He is still in it today for all riding, he has a soft mouth and never needed anything stronger, even on his wild days it is about controlling the behaviour by working out WHY:eek: when he is taking off or not listening, not putting more pressure in the mouth. He doesnt like a jointed snaffle as it sticks up into the roof of the mouth and is painful for him, quickest way to get chucked off, yes I did try it.

I would personally use a happy mouth/rubber linked bit to start with, and then when you start ridden work I would use a keyed bit to get the horse mouthing, playing to soften his/her mouth. Thats what we do at work too.

make sure (as someone else mentioned before) that he knows to yield to pressure with a halter first.. so clip reins to each side of the halter near where the bit would be and get him to bend in each direction both at a walk and stand still..once he has got that down pat..step 2. Get him used to "chewing" on your fingers so let him get used to having your fingers in his mouth this is good for vet visits/practise and for the first few bitting sessions.
Once he is good with that and comfortable, get a one jointed simple snaffle (the thicker the mouth piece the softer it is) so the rubber ones are the best..(if it pleases you put molasses or little strips of fruit to go, or the flavoured bits). This is when the practise with the fingers in his mouth come to play, do as you have practised and pop that bit in, I usually let my horses have a loose fitting bit for the first while so they can show me where they find the bit comfortable in their mouth, then I tighten the holdings to match how they "naturally" and comfortably carry the bit.

good luck:)

newrider.com