More Trec

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Our first time yesterday - I've fancied Trec for ages but didn't want to go to a comp so when my local Endurance GB group decided to run a training session I booked on. I had great fun, it was only a taster session but I'll do more now I know what it's all about. Weirdest thing really was being allowed to talk to your horse - it's strange because I do talk to him all the time, but being allowed to do it in a competition isn't something I'm used to.

A few pics....

Low branches - I thought we'd be ok at this because we've had plenty of practice of real low branches.

S-bend - I thought we'd be rubbish at this but surprisingly we were very good (may have been a fluke lol)

Mounting from the wrong side - Raf was actually quite worried about this, he knows all about mounting, and you definitely have to line up with mum on your left side. You can tell by his body language he was quite apprehensive but he stood like a rock (after he'd stopped swinging round to get me on the 'correct' side). The other Arab in the class was exactly the same.

And just a pic of Raf making sure the photographer was getting his best side ...

We were ok at the bending poles, rubbish at backing up - not so much the going backwards, but I think the two fake little trees on either side of the corridor were quite scary and Raf really didn't want to hang about and bother with the backwards thing. 'Water' we were ok with after the first time. We didn't do control of paces, which I was quite looking forward to because I've no idea how we would have done with that. Next time maybe.

So, all in all had a great afternoon, a lot of fun. Thanks for the encouragement @Cremola Foam

Trec is so much fun!!

Do you think you'll start competing? I do with the Central Trec Group, its so much fun and the competitions have such a fun atmosphere :)

Trec is so much fun!!

Do you think you'll start competing? I do with the Central Trec Group, its so much fun and the competitions have such a fun atmosphere :)

Hi Aimeelou - I'm not sure about competing, I really enjoyed having a go at the obstacles and am keen to do more, but the pressure of a competition makes me very nervous! Really I'm a happy hacker, but I think I wouldn't mind winter so much if I could use Trec to give us an interest :)

I'd like to hear more about competitions though - it would be nice if you could post some reports and pictures maybe?

Oh thank you for sharing Bodshi, well done it sounds like so much fun. I would love to have a go with Belle, some of the things I know she would be really good at but others I'm sure we would fail miserably, how do I find somewhere local to me where I can take Belle to have a little go?
I love Raf too and he's definitely one of my NR favourites, not my type at all to own but just so very elegant and beautiful.

Reactions: Bodshi
IMG_836333465650626.jpeg IMG_30285666885456.jpeg

I don't really have many photos of the day but I can answer any questions you have!

I just finished my very first winter series, and as a novice rider and it being my first ever competition I had a lot of nerves but the people who run it really keep you calm. Its fun, they always make sure they will answer any questions.

The competitions I've gone to have been timed like: open, top score, pairs, inhand, novice and then starter. So you have a variety of things to try out. The timings change for each ch course, I think for starter and novice you get 5 minutes to complete the set course. They usually have more ridden obstacles in the lower classes to so it's easier on you :)

If you don't finish on time or have a terrible class like I have before, the people are so supportive and make you laugh about it rather than get yourself upset about it. So I've found even after a really bad class I'm full of enough confidence to keep going :)

Is there any thing specific you wanted to know?

Oh thank you for sharing Bodshi, well done it sounds like so much fun. I would love to have a go with Belle, some of the things I know she would be really good at but others I'm sure we would fail miserably, how do I find somewhere local to me where I can take Belle to have a little go?
I love Raf too and he's definitely one of my NR favourites, not my type at all to own but just so very elegant and beautiful.

Go onto Trec GB and you can find out who your local group is. I am in Hertfordshire and my share is in Bedfordshire but we found that Central Trec comps were closer to us :)

http://www.trecgb.com/

Another Raf fan - if you ever want to send him on holiday.....I know two old maids that would love the company.....:D:D He really is most gorgeous. Bet he knows it too!

Thanks for the nice comments. Not sure your girls would like Raf close up Trews, he's really quite rude to other horses. They'd probably shape him up for me though lol. Although I do think he and Storm would have had beautiful babies in another dimension...

Aimeelou - thanks for those pics and all the info. I love your pony, she has the look of one that knows her own mind! I'm sure I'll think of plenty of questions for you, but in the meantime I'll have a look at Trec GB, thanks.

Reactions: Trewsers
I enjoy doing Trec training. I did compete level one a few years ago.
I always mount and dismount on both sides.
The trec competition is low key fun. Well it was when we did pairs.

Excuse shoes.

Attachments

• IMG_20150413_220529.jpg
    IMG_20150413_220529.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Bodshi and Trewsers
Fantastic!!

Full comps are so much fun! You can do it in pairs so if you get lost on the POR (orieneering) your not lost alone! lol! Level one is basic map reading, following a route you have copied onto your map from the master. I found doing a bit of on foot orienteering with my local orieneering group helped me be able to match what i was seeing around me to what is on the map (I'm still rubbish at it mind

And if its a two day comp there is usually a social bbq on the sat night.

newrider.com