More illness (double whammy!!)

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Well, I went to the docs again this morning and I'm now back on antibiotics with a confirmed urinary tract infection (which started last Friday).

And Gracie is booked for the vet on Monday when we get our yard free monthly callout...she has a persistent cough. Didn't take too much notice initially because she had one at the end of spring last year. I just started wetting her hay. However, she's now been living out for a fortnight and is still having coughing spasms. I hadn't noticed because I've only been riding her in walk because of my lungs but when I upped the pace on Sunday to do a few jumpies, she was coughing quite badly from the extra effort and felt a bit flat. She is still eating OK and interested in life but I think I'll just have her checked over properly. When I owned Joey, he'd had an op for an epiglottal entrapment and displaced soft palate which had started as a persistent cough.

What a pair of crocks!!!!

Bloody hell Domane I do hope your both feeling better soon. The both of you have had your fair share imo and are well due feeling well for a good loooooooong period x

Blimey - it never rains but it pours. :oops: Could it be an allergy to the spring pollen do you think - I had a mare who always developed a dreadful cough and sneezing from april right through May and then it would just clear up - never did work out exactly which pollen it was. You must look after yourself - your system is obviously low and this is often the case with pneumonia - even after you think it has gone it does leave you open to all sorts of other nastys for a while. Hope you are both well very soon.

Yes, I'm hoping Gracie's is just an allergy, @Cortrasna. Just because she didn't have it last year, doesn't mean it's not possible now.

And thanks for the good wishes. Google tells me it's very common to get a urine infection after taking a course of antibiotics, seeing as how they kill off your good bacteria as well as your bad. I'm almost amused by the fact that I need antibiotics to clear something that has been caused by antibiotics! At least this time I haven't had to take to my bed.

Well make sure you are taking a probiotic to help maintain your personal biome, or at least eating lots of natural organic yogurt!

I HATE urinary tract infections with a vengeance. I do hope you're better soon.

O dear - and so depressing being on antibiotics too. I hope at least the weather is cheering you up.

newrider.com